Yu move joint supplement

orangegrace

Visit site
Hi all.

I had been feeding the yumove for a while and I felt there was some improvement for my geldings hock arthritis. I haven't had him on anything for a few weeks so was thinking of starting it up again. I have only ever fed the basic yu move but I've been considering the advance version too. The main difference in the 2 seems to be the amount of green lipped muscle. I was wondering whether anyone has managed to source this and feed it on it's own with any success ? Yumove isnt ridiculously expensive but I was just considering whether there was a more cost effective way of feeding the sperate ingredients?

Joint supplements are such a mine field 😳

Thanks x

Littlebear

Visit site
I am not sure if you're on facebook but there is a guy called david marlin that's done a lot of reports on joint supplements with a very handy table you can look up which has what ingredients, it seems that flexibility comes out on top constantly, but worth having a look at his findings x

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think the advanced version has a different form of GLM rather than just quantity, not sure if it's better or not.

However at the moment Viovet has a really good offer on all versions so a good time to buy more if you wanted to start it up again.

Andrew657

Visit site
Kramer do a powdered mussel supplement - haven't used (so can't comment on it's effectiveness).

Seems like at their suggested dose - works out at £32 for 3 months

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Funnily enough a week ago I put my mare, who has bilateral hock arthritis amongst other niggles, on the Yumove Active Joint supplement. This was on the recommendation of my high powered chiropractor vet, who formerly worked at Leahurst. A number of her clients have reported that their horses have improved greatly on it.

My mare is notably freer and more active all round, but especially behind, since then. Now, that could be partly because she has just had a chiro treatment, but she looks better than when she was on a Danilon a day. She’s having a break from Danilon at the moment. The Violet offer runs out at the end of the month, and I’m going to order a second 2.5 litre tub before the offer ends.

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
This is very interesting - a chap apparently made it using the most popular supplements

Attachments

• F6682665-2B4B-442C-A738-7D2020DF7127.jpeg
    F6682665-2B4B-442C-A738-7D2020DF7127.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 60

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Yumove Active Composition:
Flaxmeal, Glucosamine HCl (17%), Green Lipped Mussel(17%), Methyl Sulphonyl Methane (13%), Hyaluronic Acid (0.4%), Yeast Extrac

Meaning over 50% is a filler..

Melody Grey

Visit site
My dog is good on Yumove....is feeding the dog version to horses an option? Not sure if that’s cost effective compared to the equine version?

orangegrace

Visit site
This is what I'm trying to avoid.. spending money on something that's all filler.. 🙄 this is why I was considering feeding separate ingredients but I would be unsure where to start. I have had a look at the graph which is interesting but the one they most recommend works out v expensive x

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I am not sure if you're on facebook but there is a guy called david marlin that's done a lot of reports on joint supplements with a very handy table you can look up which has what ingredients, it seems that flexibility comes out on top constantly, but worth having a look at his findings x

Probably worth pointing out that the recommended one is his company's product though I'm sure he would say that having looked at the science, he has chosen the best quality ingredients in optimum dosage for his own product.

After trying everything including Devil's Claw, Boswellia, Turmeric, Rosehips as well as the standard msm, chondriotin, glucosamine mix I've had best results with Green Lipped Mussel so I alternate between Yumove and Maxaflex. The top 2 in the graph have lots of extra ingredients but not ones that I'm necessarily looking for.

I did mix my own briefly, I used Maxaflex permamax tablets for the green lipped mussel ingredient and I got straights (Chondroitin, MSM and Glucosamine) from Red Horse/Forageplus and possibly Progressive earth. However it didn't work out cheaper as the prepackaged often have special offers which straights didn't.

I don't worry about the Linseed as an ingredient in the Yumove as it's good for joints in its own right and alot of supplements include it. I prefer to look at the levels of active ingredient per £. For example when I fed MSM chondriotin, glucosamine I used to feed Suppleaze Gold. The ingredients were in the correct ratio. To get the right levels I had to feed at the loading dose not the maintenance dose however it still worked out cheaper per day per mg of active ingredient. Disclaimer This was years ago so may not be cheapest now.

I can't work out how much GLM Yumove has out from the percentages - it doesn't even say if that is percentage by weight or volume - I'm sure it said on the tub how much each scoop delivered and that is what I would focus on and how many days you get in a tub when working out what is good value.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

He is also not very helpful if you disagree with one of his recommendations. So go in with an open mind.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve just checked my dates. Tammy has only been on the Yumove Active joint for 6 days inc today, and it was started 10 days after her most recent chiro treatment. She has noticeably loosened up since she started on it. Coincidence? Maybe.

Re the dosing of Yumove Active joint (horse), which is currently priced at £81.26 for 2.5kg on Viovet, full RRP £147.90. The loading dose for a 500kg+ animal is 2 x 30ml scoops per day (scoop is provided). This is for the first 4/6 weeks, then the maintenance dose is half that.

I have weighed the quantity of product contained in a 30 ml scoop on my kitchen scales, who weigh to the nearest gram, and it weighs 20g. The loading dose is therefore 40g daily, and fed at that rate a 2.5 kg tub will last for 2500/40 = 62.5 days. The cost per horse per day is 81.26/62.5 = £1.30p loading dose and 65p maintenance dose.

4FF65EB2-5849-41BC-80FD-4191348B590A.jpeg
Hope this helps.

minimex2

Visit site
I use to use this, but was costing so much and with fillers wanted to create my own mix!

Trade Ingredients sell human grade.

I make up 14 pots a week and the yard just puts in his feeds.

It takes about 15 mins pw - but gtees max dose of each ingredient and saves me loads £

Mine has
green lipped mussel
MSM
Glucosamine
Mag Ox
Adv Vits & Min

Thinking about swapping the glp to Boswellia

Its a bit faffy but gone from £1.50 pd to 30p ish (dependant on offers) and gtees max dose of everything