Zinc oxide help

Horsekaren

Visit site
I’ve been given scp spray from my vet to try and get my horses legs to settle down, we seem to have a bit of cpl and hyperkeratosis going on. We have tried steroids and flamazine to no success :(

the main ingredient in the scp spray is zinc oxide which is good… the only issue is it’s an aerosol which after trying very hard he will not tolerate. A normal spray or gel to rub in he is fine, but the aerosol terrifies him… I’ve tried to desensitise but it’s going to take a long while.

my question is can I spray the aerosol spray into a pot of wondergel and mix it up and rub it in? I’ve had a play and it seems to mix well but unsure if this will work.

does anyone have any idea? Or can suggest another product or way of getting it on his legs? I really want to give his legs a break from creams ideally!

PurBee

Visit site
I havent used wondergel - is that oily cream or waterbased? If it mixes in fine id use it as a last ditch attempt to get the spray ingredients onto him.

Or you could spray-out the aerosol contents into a small container and cottonwool it on - or put into a regular spray bottle and spray on.

whats cpl?

Zinc oxide powder is usually easy to source - mix with water and bathe on if you just wanted to use zinc.

Aloe vera gel or fresh juice is excellent for healing deeper layers of dermis compared to most topical skin creams. Its used for burns often due to this. Also good for minimizing scar tissue.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I havent used wondergel - is that oily cream or waterbased? If it mixes in fine id use it as a last ditch attempt to get the spray ingredients onto him.

Or you could spray-out the aerosol contents into a small container and cottonwool it on - or put into a regular spray bottle and spray on.

whats cpl?

Zinc oxide powder is usually easy to source - mix with water and bathe on if you just wanted to use zinc.

Aloe vera gel or fresh juice is excellent for healing deeper layers of dermis compared to most topical skin creams. Its used for burns often due to this. Also good for minimizing scar tissue.
Wondergel is basically aloe vera gel

Arzada

Visit site
If you have a small diameter nozzle attachment with the aerosol eg like the ones with WD40/GT85 can you spray into a syringe and from there onto his legs?

lamlyn2012

Visit site
If you want to mix it into a cream buy a tub of Aqueous Cream from Home Bargain. It's about 99p for a large tub.
I would be wary of sudocrem and oily creams as they block the hair follicles.

Horsekaren

Visit site
Thanks all :) glad I’m not crazy and this might be a good option for now

Sudo cream ect Is to heavy, I don’t want to clog his skin as that’s what the flamazine seemed to do :( every time I didn’t apply it the skin looked better but as it should help I persevered.

cpl is a condition that effect hairy breeds … I’ve done so much research on this and had so much advice but flamazine and emoilent creams are just irritating his skin. As always nothing in simple so I’m back trying to look outside the box.
Pic is of after two weeks of flamazine and washing almost daily :( any advice as always appreciated!

Attachments

• A38C15EF-D6A2-4037-A39F-C08E1604C8EB.jpeg
    A38C15EF-D6A2-4037-A39F-C08E1604C8EB.jpeg
    672.1 KB · Views: 16

Horsekaren

Visit site
Have you done all the mite treatments, dectomax and dog flea pipette on the legs.
Yes, we did this a few times, he isn’t stomping or scratching so I’m really convinced that’s not the issue. He makes it quiet obvious when he is bothered by parasites so I’m going with my gut and ruling that issue out for now.

holeymoley

Visit site
Another recommendation for red horse honeyheel. Mine has a very small patch of Mallenders on one front leg only (?!) and the honeyheel is the only thing that’s cleared it up. We still get excess flakes etc as that’s what mallenders is, but no open cracks, and he’s happy for me to brush/pick excess skin flakes off.

Horsekaren

Visit site
He’s only got pink skin so there wouldn’t be dark patches to check on his legs.

ooo I love honey heel, I’ve used it in past on mud fever and it was amazing. I have tried it on his leg ( just once) and because of how sticky and thick it was he really didn’t like it going on. It was just dragging and pulling his fur ( which he won’t let me clip as his legs are sore)
Also there is no way I can get it off without having to soak his leg with warm water and I’m trying to avoid wetting his legs at the moment.

I like the idea of wondergel, well gel as they kind of seem to just disappear … well on my hand any way. My hoping would be the gel would disappear and the power from the can would be left on the skin :/

Horsekaren

Visit site
So I mixed the wonder gel and spray yesterday, it was a gel all day but this morning I’ve noticed it’s turned to liquid , is that what you would expect or am I risking putting a chemical reaction onto his skin?