zipless long boots?

cob&onion

Visit site
After yet another zip that needs replacing on my leather boots am starting to get fed up! 3 pairs in 2 years to be precise, not sure if its me giving them a hard time or they are just weak! had an unbranded 2nd hand pair they went, saxon boots and they went then a nice pair of dublin boots and they went! at the moment am in joddy boots and chaps which are fine for everyday but after a pair for showing :)
Tempted to get a pair or regent boots without the zip?! but thinking are these going to be a total pain in the backside to get on and off?!!
Anyone have a pair of zipless boots?

fatpiggy

Visit site
After yet another zip that needs replacing on my leather boots am starting to get fed up! 3 pairs in 2 years to be precise, not sure if its me giving them a hard time or they are just weak! had an unbranded 2nd hand pair they went, saxon boots and they went then a nice pair of dublin boots and they went! at the moment am in joddy boots and chaps which are fine for everyday but after a pair for showing :)
Tempted to get a pair or regent boots without the zip?! but thinking are these going to be a total pain in the backside to get on and off?!!
Anyone have a pair of zipless boots?

I always had zipless boots for that very reason - zips in any clothes are notoriously short-lived. I had a pair of Regents and always used a boot-jack. Talcum powder down the inside of the boots helps alot too. Make sure that you take into consideration thick winter socks and the fact that your legs get hot in jods with long boots over the top, so may swell up a bit too. Better to buy a half size larger than your shoes.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My 'best boots ' are zip less I have several pairs the oldest are on there last legs and have done thirty years .
They are a pain to get on and off sometimes , ankle socks with a thick knee high on top works best for me and you talc inside the boot before you pull it on .
But I ride everyday and train in zipped boots I wear them a lot and buy at about £ the one to two hundred pound mark I have two zips go and slung them and got new ones.
I dont think I would want the labour and fuss of pull ons every day .

cob&onion

Visit site
My 'best boots ' are zip less I have several pairs the oldest are on there last legs and have done thirty years .
They are a pain to get on and off sometimes , ankle socks with a thick knee high on top works best for me and you talc inside the boot before you pull it on .
But I ride everyday and train in zipped boots I wear them a lot and buy at about £ the one to two hundred pound mark I have two zips go and slung them and got new ones.
I dont think I would want the labour and fuss of pull ons every day .

Will these will be used for showing only, my jod boots and gaiters are perfect for everyday stuff.
Just hate the hassle of getting a pair of boots and breaking the zip just as about to go riding :(

Goldenstar

Visit site
Will these will be used for showing only, my jod boots and gaiters are perfect for everyday stuff.
Just hate the hassle of getting a pair of boots and breaking the zip just as about to go riding :(

Zip less does look better nothing beats the look of a good pair of pull on boots .
Try eBay you will get a pair very cheaply if you hate them you can resell them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I show in the zip less boots they are the most comfy boots, have tried countless zip ones over the years and I dont think I could walk or ride in most of them so I have stuck with them they still look smart as I only use them for shows, to be honest I would buy another zip less pair again, I wear the mountain horse high riders everyday and had the zips done countless times so at least I dont have this problem with the others.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Zip less does look better nothing beats the look of a good pair of pull on boots .
Try eBay you will get a pair very cheaply if you hate them you can resell them.

They go for peanuts on Ebay, its really sad. I sold mine to someone at work for £50 - bearing in mind I'd paid £225 15 years previously (they were only used for shows) and they are alot more than that now she got a bargain. But I would have got even less on Ebay, almost certainly.

hairycob

Visit site
Boot pulls for getting them on. Boot jack for getting them off.
I have a pair of zipless boots I bought in Spain 11 years ago. I have short little legs & wide feet & can never find any that fit so when I came across some in Madrid I grabbed them. Much bad language later I got the above tools & hey presto - sorted.

Last edited:

dotty1

Visit site
I have a pair of Regent zipless boots, I have to stamp around to get them on an would never get them off without a bootjack.....but they do look very smart, polishing up like new. They are quite stiff until you get used to them and I think they will out live me. I can't justify buying zipped boots un til these die (never I think)

cob&onion

Visit site
They go for peanuts on Ebay, its really sad. I sold mine to someone at work for £50 - bearing in mind I'd paid £225 15 years previously (they were only used for shows) and they are alot more than that now she got a bargain. But I would have got even less on Ebay, almost certainly.

Boot pulls for getting them on. Boot jack for getting them off.
I have a pair of zipless boots I bought in Spain 11 years ago. I have short little legs & wide feet & can never find any that fit so when I came across some in Madrid I grabbed them. Much bad language later I got the above tools & hey presto - sorted.

I have a pair of Regent zipless boots, I have to stamp around to get them on an would never get them off without a bootjack.....but they do look very smart, polishing up like new. They are quite stiff until you get used to them and I think they will out live me. I can't justify buying zipped boots un til these die (never I think)

Well i got a pair of NEW hawkins boots from preloved for the grand price of £30 inc p&p. Just paid for them so awaiting for them eagerly.
They will be used mainly for showing. They have the straight cut tops which is what i wanted. They retail over £100 so i think i have a bargain :)
I have my jod boots and gaiters for everyday.
Talc, boot jack and boot pulls at the ready!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If they hurt your ankles wear them round the house a bit you can buy heel raisers if they really hurt at first until they settle .

cronkmooar

Visit site
I have a pair of the Regent pull on boots with garters.

My tips would be:

Be honest about your calf size - don't buy standard if you are bordering on wide!

Use pop socks - yes I know its embarrassing at the super market, but buy in bulk so you have fewer visits:)

And top tip - spray inside of boot and pop sock clad leg LIGHTLY with a bit of show sheen before pulling on

I have not had any rubbing problems around ankles, but mine are well worn in.

In only use my for shows as I don't want to knacker the leather.

I have noticed them on eBay and they rarely go for more than £50 so that is where I would get them from

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I rode daily in Regent zipless (uniform), and they always polished up beautifully. I now have Mountain Horse zipped, and the zips have been FAB, but they are not the most elegant.

With the Regent they seemed better when used daily, if I had a few weeks off then they seemed more difficult.

Boot pulls or stamping for putting on and a boot jack for taking off, and don't buy too small!

bexcy-bee

Visit site
I LOVE my ariat bromonts, zip up the back that broke from my fat calves, wrote an email complaining and hey presto, brand new boots back with super super strong zips included.

Fantastic customer services, and my boots were 2 years old and used daily! It happened to 2 pairs of them, and they replaced both at the same time, got 2 brand new boots and not had a problem with them since, but I'm confident if I did have another problem that ariat would replace them again.

Wouldn't go thorough the palaver of pulling on zip less!

Bexcy-bee x