Zoomies for sighthounds....

{97702}

Visit site
Sorry I’ve been trying to stay out of AAD because I was spamming the forum 😳 but I can’t hold back any longer 😂

3 out of the 4 hounds can’t go off the lead at the moment - Millie because she is Millie, the boys because they are new & not particularly other dog friendly yet

I’m lucky enough to have a 10 acre enclosed dog field only 10mins drive from home, at £15 for an hour. We’ve been a couple of times and the dogs love it!

So it’s made me wonder - how often would you be taking them there?

If they have a walk lead it is 45 - 75 mins, so 2 - 3.5 miles, as the boys go on strike at 3 miles and get sulky 🙄 I’m thinking once or twice a week for the dog field?? I suppose really I can’t overdo it, if they are tired they just won’t run, but I want to get my moneys worth 😄

{97702}

Visit site
The best thing was that at the end, when I finally got Millie to leave her tennis balls/football alone (I swear she has some collie in her!) she and Ace actually played together :) Marty is scared of Millie as she is too rough and he is a wimp, but Ace is twice Millie's size (literally) and can manage her very well :D It was great to see :)

planete

Visit site
Brilliant! I take mine twice a week every week. Because I come regularly I get a discount. You could ask about a reduction if you went regularly too. I am not too worried about how much the dogs run. They really enjoy a few good chases, a few rolls in the grass and lots of sniffs and we have a ball retrieving session half way through, or a bit of training. They also had a go at agility when the equipment was left in. It is mainly their time to just be dogs free to do their own thing really as their life is so regimented otherwise. I have learnt quite a lot about the group dynamics and their personalities just sitting and watching them too. There are always cheese cubes in my pocket and their recall has improved dramatically by calling them a few times from whatever they are doing. It is also a break from the miles of walking and a time to chill out for me.

{97702}

Visit site
I was going to ask about a discount for a blg block booking - not sure if I'll be successful but you can but try :) There is a small amount of agility stuff in the field - just a couple of fences and a tunnel - but Millie just cannot understand that I want her to go over the fences not round them :D Amy mooched off into the tunnel last time we were there so I assume someone had been throwing treats in to try and get their dog to go through.... :)

Thanks both. I'll try for twice a week

deb_l222

Visit site
I guess it depends how much you can afford. Willow loves to swim but at £20 a go, we’re only partaking once a fortnight now.

Mine rarely go off lead these days but I have a humongous back garden so I guess they mooch about there.

Annette4

Visit site
Mine used to go once a week (field closed and yet to find one with high enough fencing close enough) but they do Flyball training once a week plus comps through the year as well as toss and fetch when the seasons are on so they get to run then as well.

CMcC

Visit site
Levrier you have inspired me.
Of my 3 only Little Lurcher goes off lead on walk. I let Older Lurcher off the lead the other day and she instantly vanished. Saluki Boy is just too flaky to risk it.
In theory one of my fields is dog secure but with lambs next door not going to risk SB leaping the fence. Neighbour did retain sense of humour when LL went under the fence in pursuit of a pheasant, but I think neighbourly relations would be strained if lambs are involved. He did also retain sense of humour when the police turned up at his farm at 5.30am on a Sunday morning with 3 of my ponies in tow, they had gone for a wander on the road!
There are 2 secure dog walking fields near me I have seen advertised will take all three for a run this week.

{97702}

Visit site
Mine did yesterday I must admit, the only slot free was the middle of the day and it was very warm! Well except for Millie of course, who couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t keep throwing her ball for her 🙄

some show

Visit site
Levrier, can I ask which dog field you go to? I think I live quite near you and would love to find somewhere Joe could go off lead!!

{97702}

Visit site
Levrier, can I ask which dog field you go to? I think I live quite near you and would love to find somewhere Joe could go off lead!!

I use Merlins Meadow at Redmarley... there is also one at Tewkesbury? I know there is one in FOD that I haven tried yet, I can find details if you like 😊

some show

Visit site
I use Merlins Meadow at Redmarley... there is also one at Tewkesbury? I know there is one in FOD that I haven tried yet, I can find details if you like 😊

Thanks! They're a bit far for me actually, I'm towards the bottom end of the Forest of Dean so we must be a bit further apart than I thought :D I've been to the one at Pilning in Bristol and it's okay, but there were a lot of rabbit scrapes and various other animal holes that I was worried Joe'd put his foot down while running. I guess that's always going to be an issue for greyhounds in an outdoor field!