Zorse gelding for sale.

Fools Motto

Visit site
He is kept just down the road from me. The owners have a rare equine farm, including this chap, a zebra and gigantic mules to name a few. An extrordianry (sp!) place!!

He looks very cool, sure he will get snapped up, with his girlfriend too!!

FionaM12

Visit site
How lovely that his girlfriend gets to go too for free! :)

It's not a lot of money really, if you want a head-turning rare equine.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I had the job of (attempting) to train a Zorse for some filming in the States once; hardest job I've ever done! They are NOT stripey ponies, much more like donkeys or mules, which are very diffrent from horses/ponies. Not impossible to do, but you do need to be able to think outside the standard horse training box.

FionaM12

Visit site
Sorry zorse fans, I'm going to go against popular opinion on here, and say that just because you can breed it, doesn't mean you should. Aren't there enough horses out there that need rehoming?

I tend to agree. I think the ad says it's been imported from America, they didn't breed it themselves. But yes, you have a point. Inter-breeding like this is highly dubious and you have to wonder why it was done.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Breeding this isn't that different from breeding mules though, and there are no doubt 1000's (if not more) of those in the world - only difference is that zebras haven't been as domesticated as donkeys have been, and even then, donkeys are far more opinionated that horses IME!!

I think he's cute, but wouldn't really want a horse unless it had another reasonable function other than looking pretty (not saying that he doesn't btw).

Think we could ever get a horaffe?! :D

jinglejoys

Visit site
He only came over at the beginning of the year!I wated to go and visit and possibly ride but haven't been able to get the time off :(

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Sorry zorse fans, I'm going to go against popular opinion on here, and say that just because you can breed it, doesn't mean you should. Aren't there enough horses out there that need rehoming?

This.

Aren't there enough domesticated dogs, cats, horses etc that need rehoming without breeding freaking wild/domestic animal hybrids? I don't get this inane desire some people have of breeding for the sake of 'creating' a perceived 'unique' animal. This zebroid is cute, but, what, seriously is the point?

rhino

Visit site
This.

Aren't there enough domesticated dogs, cats, horses etc that need rehoming without breeding freaking wild/domestic animal hybrids? I don't get this inane desire some people have of breeding for the sake of 'creating' a perceived 'unique' animal. This zebroid is cute, but, what, seriously is the point?

Everyone's tastes are different. This is a 'niche market' animal; the same way some people would never own a miniature/thoroughbred/shetland/coloured horse...... His breeding was not an accident, he has been well looked after, and to be honest his conformation looks a damn sight better than a lot of the bottom end animals that are being bred in this country... Indiscriminate breeding is a huge issue but I fail to see the problem with this equine - even if he is not to your taste :) He is broken in and the owners are hoping he will go to someone to continue his education; they are not giving him away.

While I have always had 'rescue' dogs I would never tell anyone else that they are wrong for buying a pedigree, and as far as I am concerned this applies to horses too. Everyone complaining about this horse, did you go and buy a horse who 'needed rehoming', or did you buy a horse which suits you and your lifestyle?

What would be the point of miniatures then? Horses are very much man made creations anyway..

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
i think hes horrible and id be embarresed to ride him lol
sorry zorse fans and nearly 5 grand omg

I wouldn't describe any equine as "horrible" :( even if they're not quite to my taste, and I do have some doubts about breeding this guy in the first place, but he's actually rather nicely put together.

Personally, I find even "ugly" horses have some beauty to them.

cptrayes

Visit site
He probably cost more than the price they are selling him at to import, never mind to buy him. Does anyone know why he's for sale??

rhino

Visit site
He probably cost more than the price they are selling him at to import, never mind to buy him. Does anyone know why he's for sale??

The place used to be open to the public to visit but is not any longer; they appear to be selling quite a few of their stock. Import from the USA is about £5k minimum (friend has just paid £6.5k for door-to-door) and the zorse was up for sale for a few thousand dollars from what I remember (I noticed him for sale on a big horse trade website last year - in fact I think I posted on here about him then!)

:)

Fuzznugget

gloucestershirehorseriders.webs.com
Everyone complaining about this horse, did you go and buy a horse who 'needed rehoming'.....?

Yes, I did. Does he suit me 100%? No. Was he cheap? Yes. He's got his issues & quirks, and is a work in progress, but he needed a home and now he has one. Should he prove not sane enough to work, he'll be a lawn mower. If he ends up not sound enough to even just pootle about the field, then he gets a bullet. I will not be passing him on.

And as for that 'zorse'....:rolleyes:

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Everyone's tastes are different. This is a 'niche market' animal; the same way some people would never own a miniature/thoroughbred/shetland/coloured horse...... His breeding was not an accident, he has been well looked after, and to be honest his conformation looks a damn sight better than a lot of the bottom end animals that are being bred in this country... Indiscriminate breeding is a huge issue but I fail to see the problem with this equine - even if he is not to your taste :) He is broken in and the owners are hoping he will go to someone to continue his education; they are not giving him away.

While I have always had 'rescue' dogs I would never tell anyone else that they are wrong for buying a pedigree, and as far as I am concerned this applies to horses too. Everyone complaining about this horse, did you go and buy a horse who 'needed rehoming', or did you buy a horse which suits you and your

What would be the point of miniatures then? Horses are very much man made creations anyway..

I have no objection to crossbreeds. I own four lurchers (two are rescues) and a pbw!
I cannot fathom a persons desire to breed a wild animal with a domesticated one - I imagine its for the ££££££'s.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I think an element of 'because we can' has come into many of the decisions made by the human race. Why do we build such hugely tall buildings - to show that we can :)

FionaM12

Visit site
Everyone complaining about this horse, did you go and buy a horse who 'needed rehoming', or did you buy a horse which suits you and your lifestyle?

I THOUGHT I'd bought the latter but it turns out she's more the former! Not that she was in bad condition, just rather neglected, no longer wanted by her previous owner and probably no one but me would want her now. :rolleyes:

But actually, when I think about it, that EXACTLY describes the sort of animal who suits my lifestyle...:D

rhino

Visit site
Yes, I did. Does he suit me 100%? No. Was he cheap? Yes. He's got his issues & quirks, and is a work in progress, but he needed a home and now he has one. Should he prove not sane enough to work, he'll be a lawn mower. If he ends up not sound enough to even just pootle about the field, then he gets a bullet. I will not be passing him on.

And as for that 'zorse'....:rolleyes:

Fab - if only there were more owners like you :) FWIW I wouldn't choose to crossbreed a horse(probably because I still bear scars from working with a mule ;) ) but actually think it's great that this horse is actually being ridden and worked with. I am surprised that you don't need a DWAL for keeping them though.

Out of interest, what do you think of these? http://www.horsemart.co.uk/all_rounder_horse_1_yr_15_0_hh_few_spot_cambridgeshire/advert/192457

rhino

Visit site
I THOUGHT I'd bought the latter but it turns out she's more the former! Not that she was in bad condition, just rather neglected, no longer wanted by her previous owner and probably no one but me would want her now. :rolleyes:

But actually, when I think about it, that EXACTLY describes the sort of animal who suits my lifestyle...:D

The mare in your sig? She looks like butter wouldn't melt ;)

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Fab - if only there were more owners like you :) FWIW I wouldn't choose to crossbreed a horse(probably because I still bear scars from working with a mule ;) ) but actually think it's great that this horse is actually being ridden and worked with. I am surprised that you don't need a DWAL for keeping them though.

Out of interest, what do you think of these? http://www.horsemart.co.uk/all_rounder_horse_1_yr_15_0_hh_few_spot_cambridgeshire/advert/192457

is it me or do there knees look to far down on their legs?

You Wont Forget Me

Visit site
i think hes horrible and id be embarresed to ride him lol
sorry zorse fans and nearly 5 grand omg

Thats a bit harsh is it not :eek: i dont think i have ever related to a horse/pony of any form as being horrible!! They all have something about them thats beautiful! And as for being embarrassed to ride him, no offence but that just sounds quite stuck up ;)

Just sticking up for the Zorse:D

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Not sure how I would feel about riding a big donkey, I remember grass skiing behind our donkey, who not only was ancient but was also about 9hh (no idea actually how big, but he was diddy!) and the most stubborn, yet lovely individual.

Wouldn't like an argument with those guys :eek: