17 Stone beginner rider

Auslander

Visit site
I don't often frequent riding schools. I did when Mr Red was learning, and the ones for adult beginner riders were usually ridden by...beginners, and therefore were not using their cores to lift their backs and work correctly.

Riding school horses (around here anyway) for the larger beginner riders tend to be the full draught or cob types, not the best IMO for the job of the heavier rider.
Ironically, the best horses for carrying weight, and teaching beginners on, are horses like Alf, and most people who own horses like him would die of shock at the thought of using them to teach beginners on. Alf has done a bit of schoolmastering, and he's fab - he makes life easier for himself, and his rider, by being very balanced and rhythmical. He is the ideal weight carrier, as he is tall, but not excessively tall, is short coupled and strong, with a leg at each corner, and uses his body in a way that makes carrying a rider less of a chore. He has always been worked correctly, so his muscle tone and body strength is good for an old horse. He also thinks that being a riding school donk is very suitable for a gentleman of advancing years.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ironically, the best horses for carrying weight, and teaching beginners on, are horses like Alf, and most people who own horses like him would die of shock at the thought of using them to teach beginners on. Alf has done a bit of schoolmastering, and he's fab - he makes life easier for himself, and his rider, by being very balanced and rhythmical. He is the ideal weight carrier, as he is tall, but not excessively tall, is short coupled and strong, with a leg at each corner, and uses his body in a way that makes carrying a rider less of a chore. He has always been worked correctly, so his muscle tone and body strength is good for an old horse. He also thinks that being a riding school donk is very suitable for a gentleman of advancing years.

Our Charlie Horse was not in Alf's league, but he did SJ to newcomers, event to novice and had some BD points. He was also used to working correctly, loved a newbie to look after in the school. He was ID X TB, almost 17hh, and had thrown with plenty of bone.

I usually teach first on the lead rein then lunge, as on the lunge I can keep the horse working into side reins, so keep the back working and core engaged. That is also easier for the novice to learn on as the paces stay more elastic and less bone-shaking. Like Alf, I am sure.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It does make you wonder when you see some larger folk riding at what points they think they are too heavy. Or see riders trying to say they ride light, but 17 stone is 17 stone whichever way you say it but was does ride light mean or is it just a way of making the rider feel better. X flipping predictive text,

Last edited:

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
It does make you wonder when you see some larger folk riding at what points they think they a tee too heavy. On French see riders trying to say they ride light, but 17 stone is 17 stone whichever way you say it but was does ride light mean or is it just a way of making the rider feel better. X

A better way of saying it is that beginners ride heavier than their weight because they are unbalanced whereas an experienced rider rides at their weight, in balance.

Wishfilly

Visit site
It does make you wonder when you see some larger folk riding at what points they think they a tee too heavy. On French see riders trying to say they ride light, but 17 stone is 17 stone whichever way you say it but was does ride light mean or is it just a way of making the rider feel better. X

I don't think anyone can ride lighter than their actual weight (plus weight of tack etc) but an experienced, balanced and generally fit rider of any weight is going to be easier to carry than someone unbalance/lacking core strength/inexperienced of the same weight. E.g. if someone is landing heavily in the saddle, bouncing a lot or is leaning/putting more weight on one side, that will be much harder for the horse.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I don't think anyone can ride lighter than their actual weight (plus weight of tack etc) but an experienced, balanced and generally fit rider of any weight is going to be easier to carry than someone unbalance/lacking core strength/inexperienced of the same weight. E.g. if someone is landing heavily in the saddle, bouncing a lot or is leaning/putting more weight on one side, that will be much harder for the horse.
Maybe we should ban rides light and change it to be 17 stone but rides like a heavyweight lump so more like 20 stone.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Maybe we should ban rides light and change it to be 17 stone but rides like a heavyweight lump so more like 20 stone.

Yeah, I do think "rides light" implies that you can ride lighter than your actual weight- which of course isn't true. But an unbalanced heavy rider is going to potentially cause more damage than a balanced one (depending on the activities being done and so on).

Auslander

Visit site
I don't take "riding light" to mean riding a stone lighter than one's actual weight. To me, riding light means riding in a balanced fashion, being aware of the impact you have on the horse, and doing your best to make yourself the most comfortable load possible. I@m no lightweight, but I can say with my hand on my heart that my horse finds me easier to cart around than someone lighter who slops around, doesn't sit straight, and crashes onto his back every time their arse hits the saddle.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I find the weight limits in respect to men ridiculous. They naturally weigh more no matter how tall etc they are.

Kia carried me at over 15st no bother and he was 14.3hh he also carried my OH who at the time was around the same but he was 6.4. He was a D x Appy. Here is a few pics I recently shared as no one could believe a 6ft4 15.5st bloke could ride a 14.3 and be carried fine.

7F8ACF92-D842-4306-8E75-F52164C64CB5.jpeg95ADE133-0DD2-401D-B21A-7313E5041F6C.jpeg

Littlebear

Visit site
I used to have 2 horses my partner who is slightly higher in weight than mentioned used to ride now and again, one was a 16’1 Suffolk x and the other was a 16’3 Irish x
Both happily wandered around with him on board
I’ve worked at several riding schools and the heaviest weight I’ve seen allowed is 15 stone

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I used to work at a trekking centre that would sometimes take riders of that weight many years ago. They seem to be still going though I don't know what their policies are these days: https://noltonstables.com/ . They used to have some quiet, fit, ID and ID x TB hunter types that could cope with heavier riders for short periods.

ETA - I feel old now looking at that website and seeing James as an instructor there, he was about 8 years old when I was there!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I will ask if ask if he can get to 15 at one and take it from there.

Do you really think that many riders are aware of their real weight or knock off a stone or so off? I saw a lad who looked rather heavy, her legs splayed out and her belly was much larger than her boob's. The horse wobbled at the mount block and was swishing the tail and napping. It was a fine 16hh is that type and this was at an arena hire specifically for jumping. I walked away as if I had stayed I would have ended up being banned from their.

Visit site
To me riding light and riding heavy is like carrying live weight to dead weight. A live weight will help hold themselves up, a dead weight just flops and seems much heavier to carry even though both would weigh the same on a scale.

MiniMilton

Visit site
I think if you keep lessons short, no more than 30 mins, then a large Irish Cob type would cope very well.

Back in my hunting days I do recall a larger woman, I'm guessing minimum 16 stone, hunting an equally chunky cob twice a week. The cob never looked like he struggled. An extra stone really isn't that much more.
She always stood out to me because they never once looked out of breath while I was panting heavily with a redish/purplish hue to my face.

If the beginner rider did shorter lessons more often, then increase as their balance developed I don't see a huge problem.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Draught horses aren't necessarily able to carry vast amounts of weight. I would advise someone like that to either lose weight or look for another activity.

This. Our local riding schools have a strict upper limit of 15st. I’ve known some RS have scales!

windand rain

Visit site
Very large people ride highland ponies, I would guess a 14.2 old fashioned garron would carry him perhaps if thats too short then a percheron might be an option or a suffolk type something with a shortish back short flat boned cannons and good feet. Big horses tend to have longer legs and longer backs which tend to be less able to carry weight. A few simulator lessons to improve balance and core strength might make riding nearer possible

Last edited:

Nari

Visit site
My RID would have carried him even as a beginner, he was a proper weight carrier and correctly schooled to engage and lift himself. The only problem would have been he was far too sharp and didn't tolerate mistakes - the rider would have either learned very quickly or ended up very broken! But there must still be horses out there of his stamp (the substantial RID, not the lighter weight sportier looking ones that are now so popular now but to me look more like the old IDxTB of 40 years ago) with a calmer nature. What do larger men hunt on nowadays? If horses are still out there that can take a large man for a full day hunting then there are almost certainly ones that can manage 30 minute lessons for a beginner!

charterline

Visit site
Is he rugby player type, heavier but fit, or just a larger man?

If he’s not fit, maybe suggest that he takes up yoga/Pilates and some CV activity

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Is he rugby player type, heavier but fit, or just a larger man?

If he’s not fit, maybe suggest that he takes up yoga/Pilates and some CV activity
He's a hooker build, very strong and quite fast over a short distance slightly grainer than a bull terrier but basically the human equivalent lol

zaminda

Visit site
The riding school I taught at did have one horse that had a weight limit of 18 stone. Sadly the horse was eventually PTS, but was well over 25! Tell your friend to try an army saddle club, they are set up for larger men and teach lots of that size.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Thsnk
The riding school I taught at did have one horse that had a weight limit of 18 stone. Sadly the horse was eventually PTS, but was well over 25! Tell your friend to try an army saddle club, they are set up for larger men and teach lots of that size.
Thank you off to find an army saddle club in the east/west mids or staffs Warwick Leicester areas

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our old Clyde mare much preferred to have my ex OH ride her. He was a novice, 6'2" 15 stone ex rugby player. Sister was her other main rider and I occasionally rode her. I'm 5'6" and weighed about 9 stone. Sister and I made her work, the OH was much more inclined to let amble along at her own pace, marching on was not something she thought she should do?