1974 prices for new set of shoes, hot shod

Vodkagirly

Visit site
First horse in 1989 cost £1100 advertised as suitable for teenager tb 5 year old. Shoeing was £15 but went up to £17 that year. Off the field hay was £1.30 and straw 50p. I think after Christmas it was £2 and straw £1

marmalade76

Visit site
So interesting! My first pony was in 2004 and he was a welsh sec b, mum paid £500 for him, he was 19 years old. I remember we used to search through some sort of paper looking for ponies- does anyone remember what this was? Free ads maybe?!

Horses went right up in price around that time then dropped down again. I bought a TB for £1300 in 2003 and sold him for £2500 a year later. A relative of my husband's bought a 12h sec B for £1500 in 2007 and bullied us into buying her a year later for £700 'cause she couldn't sell her.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My first pony an unregistered Fell type was £120 including tack (with a nasty half panel saddle) in 1973. Shoes £2.50 ridden to the forge, grass livery £6/month iirc.

IrishMilo

Visit site
So interesting! My first pony was in 2004 and he was a welsh sec b, mum paid £500 for him, he was 19 years old. I remember we used to search through some sort of paper looking for ponies- does anyone remember what this was? Free ads maybe?!

Yep, the FreeAds, and if you were really lucky there was a thumb sized black and white photo with the ad too!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The horse ads gave a land line number, as only land lines were available, and often stated ‘long ring’ on them to allow people to rush from wherever they were on the yard to answer the phone. Some yards had an external ringer on the yard.

No answerphones or 1471 to find last caller. If you didn’t pick up in time, you’d lost the caller unless they called back.

In H&H if It had a photo, you couldn't afford it

Very true!

Lovely pictures OP, and I know exactly where your farrier was as I lived on the opposite side of the valley from 2005 to fairly recently.

Lovely area. I rather doubt that it’s still a working forge now, but one can hope. If it’s been done up, I hope that was for a local to live in and that it is not a holiday cottage.

Last edited:

scats

Visit site

I bought an unbroken youngster from ‘Loot’ in 2003. Sort of brown/orangey coloured newspaper.

sunnyone

Visit site
I think it was 1975 when I paid £85 for a rising 3 15h IDx. The chap had said he wanted £100, we offered £80 and walked away when he wouldn't accept it. On the way home we decided to up the offer. We had her 25 years, grumpy but a real character in every way whom we often recall.
Can't remember any more prices but our 2 bed cottage on the edge of a fen village had cost £7250 the previous year and mortgage was 6%.

vickyb

Visit site
I bought a lovely 13.2 ride and drive in 1975 for £120, mind you, they were desperate to sell as they had lost their grazing and had her in their back garden. Going back to my childhood (bear with me, I'm old and like to reminisce!), my first pony in 1964 was a branded Dartmoor who cost £50. Grass livery was 2/6 a week in the summer and 5/- in the winter with hay (12.5p and 25p). A set of shoes, hot shod at our local forge, was 30/- (£1.50). My father was aghast at the price.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
How much were horses to buy back then out of interest?

^ ^ ^ ^

My parents bought me a lovely little 14.2, a real dream of a pony, perfect in every single way. Bless him. Not a nasty bone in his body.

Purchase price in Autumn 1974 was £3000. He'd be more like £13,000 now, simply because he was just sooh incredibly safe. Plus being what everyone wanted back then (and still do).

blitznbobs

Visit site
^ ^ ^ ^

My parents bought me a lovely little 14.2, a real dream of a pony, perfect in every single way. Bless him. Not a nasty bone in his body.

Purchase price in Autumn 1974 was £3000. He'd be more like £13,000 now, simply because he was just sooh incredibly safe. Plus being what everyone wanted back then (and still do).
My parents bought a house for 7k in 1975 that was one expensive pony

marmalade76

Visit site
My first pony cost £65 in 1o69. Her shoes, and I had to take her approx 10 miles, were 25 shillings.

My second pony cost £165.00. I was a very bad rider and after selling he subsequently went on to be one of the best JAs in England. I think his shoes were a fiver.

What was his name??

saalsk

Visit site
I was so lucky to have a pony as a teen (12 when she arrived 1985, 16 when she left as my school life took over for studies) - free, as from friends of my parents, with older daughters who had outgrown her. With the stipulation she went back to them after, which she did, went to another family for their child, then enjoyed retirement. I then decided to buy a horse from a dealer in Essex - you went, looked at them, buy one, or not, and 16HH over was £900, under was £500. Got a 16.2 TB in about 2005 and he was fab. Mad, but fab, and although they said he was about 8, his teeth suggested he was mid teens, and he had been pin fired on both fronts. We had many years of hacking, before he too retired and lived his life out in comfort. Enter the first arab, another mad purchase when I just saw him and fell in love in 2008. £1200. Lost him a few years ago. Now have an early teens, that I got as a yearling for the cost of the worming sachet they used on him, before wanting him off their land. My first house cost £30k. My brother paid more than that for his latest car. I paid £10 for a stable rug for my first horse - she came with a jute one, this was like a nylon covered duvet with a belly strap about 2 feet wide, that had buckles ! - I felt sooooo posh ! Still had the old green NZ turnout, with surcingle, and leather leg straps that could be used as tow ropes they were so thick. And a sweat rug that looked like Onslow's nasty string vest.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I don't remember shoes etc. but I started working with horses in 1985 having spent a previous year gaining my BHSAI . I worked for a top yard and was paid £50 per week (no NI/Pension/sick pay/holiday pay) By 1994 I was earning £100 per week (plus accommodation, own horse livery, daily lessons on my horse & a school dressage school master) still no NI/pension/sick pay. 😝