1st Feb Weekend Thread

racebuddy

Visit site
I like the idea of the treadmill, is it expensive ?

vets went very well thanks. they confirmed it was the last of the abscess. Vet couldnt believe how sound she was considering the size of the hole. It went from the heel right under the frog. Pip has proved shes hard as nails ! So all being well we should be hacking next weekend .
30 for treadmill and vita floor plus fuel in
Lorrt so say £60 xx

Northern

Visit site
Well, with a fire raging and lockdown making it hard to plan, everything here is cancelled. We are expecting RAIN though, so maybe a rain dance? Might even need a jumper. I am very excited.

Henry is still out, he told me firmly no yesterday but happy to be lunged and fussed over so thats his plan until further notice. Just as well we have no plans. Coolie says yes to riding, he even came up to me first in the paddock yesterday so going to have a jump either today or tomorrow and then hacking. Might practice some fun lines, angles and things. He will love that!

Hopefully moving back into our property tomorrow please let the rain come! We have been evacuated all week- the horses got moved to 3 different properties. I've had no sleep as my husband stayed to defend against the fire. We have been incredibly lucky not to loose our property, thanks to all the firies and particularly the bombers.
So SO grateful to the equestrian community here in WA that have taken in my horses.

It's been pouring rain all night here, I couldn't help but think of you guys over there. Hopefully you are both safe and the horses as well! We over East know all too well how that feels :(

Hopefully just getting out and riding this weekend, it's very wet and muddy though. Perhaps a lot of tack cleaning in my future! Have a great weekend all!

SEL

Visit site
I'm going to stop moaning about rain because I'll take that over fires any day.

I do need to buy new wellies this weekend though. Every single pair have now sprung leaks.

Reactions: KEK

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The fires sound terrifying. Glad you are all safe. Yep I'll also shut up about the snow and ice too now. Puts UK winter weather into perpective.

Reactions: KEK

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It's raining now, which never happens in Feb! Sounds absolutely amazing.
My friend has been posting photos of some of her spelling horses in rugs, remarking how rare in February! I hadn't appreciated how rammed full she is with temporary horses from the fires!
Hope this helps put them out! X

Sheep

Visit site
Haven’t posted in here for ages... we are still in lockdown, although some venues seem to be open for hire, it is against the rules and not sure how they are getting away with it...
Big horse had a 3 week break over Xmas, and with rubbish weather and life getting in the way, we haven’t been doing an awful lot! YO refurbed out 20x40 arena which is fab, lovely fibre surface now. So have been doing a little bit of schooling and hacking, might jump tomorrow.
I got an Equestic sensor for Christmas and enjoying analysing the data that comes from it!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Fires do sound really scary, I will cease complaining about rain/snow!

Another little hack today. Don't know why but didn't feel all that relaxed, so kept it short - still trying to bank as many good experiences as I can so staying in/near to my comfort zone as possible. Share horse got treated to some singing (poor boy!) I'm getting more consistent with my standing up exercise, doing rise for two in trot consistently now.

Inspired by a post elsewhere on the forum, I asked my instructor about learning to lunge and/or longline. I thought it might be good to learn so if I've got another thing I can do if short on time/weather is crap/feeling nervous about riding. She let me have a quick lesson in lunging with her horse today to see how we got on. It's not as easy as it looks but I really enjoyed it. Will obviously ask share horse's owner permission to do with him but for now sticking with instructor's horse as likely to be a bit easier for me learning anyway. ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Did a little polework session in the school today, and then was going to hack around the farm tracks. Got part of the way around, and the track went incredibly deep/boggy. I decided to turn back, as I had no idea how far the deep/boggy section was going to extend for, and it didn't seem like a good idea to push on through if it got even worse- probably not ideal to turn back on ourselves, but we did then at least return to the yard by a different route.

Positive session though- it feels like he is starting to settle with me and get more confidence from me, which is really nice, and his school work is improving now he's not constantly tense and looking for the next thing to spook at! Trying not to push, and just take things slowly so we can build fitness for the summer!

Hope everyone else has had positive days!

FourLeafClover

Visit site
A really good lesson last night, superstar pony. Today the weather was biblical for most of the day, so I’ve been baking instead. Made a lemon drizzle cake with candied lemon on top. It’s nearly all gone already, but I gave a chunk to my mum to take home to the boys and I have a hungry man here too ?
Did manage to get out for a half hour trot out down the lane and byway just before it got dark. May or may not ride tomorrow... depends on the snow ❄️

Roxylola

Visit site
Gosh its been a long day. First thing up and out to go and wait for my old car to be collected by the scrap firm. I did my shopping at the asda over the road and waited for a phone call. I read a book I bought while I waited for a phone call. Until well after the time they should have called and didn't. Apparently the guy who "should" have been collecting had a puncture and had to wait an hour to get it sorted at 12 til 1. Should have picked up my car between 8 and 11 so thats either lies or irrelevant. And I only found out after my third chasing call to them. Apparently they'll come between 9 and 10 tomorrow so we shall see.
Managed to get back to the yard in time for my teaching though and snuck in a long and low hack for 45 minutes.
Some very lively ponies on their lessons today! But all my jockeys rode super so its been long but mostly productive

nikkimariet

Visit site
I’m basically done for the weekend!

Fig has had a pedal change. And he’s not too happy about it. This is the progress we made in a year:

24136A94-48FA-4366-97A1-0F8598F6764E.jpeg

And yep. That first foot was by a qualified farrier! Shocking it got to that stage but I really trusted him. My current farrier is incredible.

He keeps ripping off the imprints which is an expensive pita. He’s not quite there to go without shoes and becomes sore quickly (has next to no concavity in the weaker RF due to the lami last year). So we changed to these:

632F3618-ABDE-4FF2-A607-E882FF9DE8C0.jpeg
C7AC1D2C-88E6-44BD-B0DE-745F7AF6DEB9.jpeg

I’m waiting with baited breath to see if he needed an adaption period of time or if they’re just not what he wants.

Rooni had his 3rd ride in 2 months today. Nearly necked himself before I even got on (please don’t rear/buck/spin in one go on the lunge you muppet) but was actually great to ride. Only a couple of waves lol but most importantly he felt very sound. Au revoir splint...

94A16B74-E52B-4E1B-B7BE-99EAFB60837A.jpeg47CAD62E-32D5-4816-A32F-042452CFF141.jpeg

And then I have been busy making this!

A0C98DBA-66D0-4541-B6D4-3009B7683A22.jpeg

I saw something on fb that caught my eye but the price made me gag. The professionally made item obviously uses hardwood and the workmanship is top quality and totally warrants the price but it’s likely that this will get sat on so loaning tools from Papa T and £100 of materials from B&Q has done the job nicely. Need done washers for the wheel screws and then to teak it!

Day off for everyone tomorrow considering it’s going to be minus 6 during the day!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Gosh its been a long day. First thing up and out to go and wait for my old car to be collected by the scrap firm. I did my shopping at the asda over the road and waited for a phone call. I read a book I bought while I waited for a phone call. Until well after the time they should have called and didn't. Apparently the guy who "should" have been collecting had a puncture and had to wait an hour to get it sorted at 12 til 1. Should have picked up my car between 8 and 11 so thats either lies or irrelevant. And I only found out after my third chasing call to them. Apparently they'll come between 9 and 10 tomorrow so we shall see.
Managed to get back to the yard in time for my teaching though and snuck in a long and low hack for 45 minutes.
Some very lively ponies on their lessons today! But all my jockeys rode super so its been long but mostly productive

The like is for the good lessons and the hack- not the scrap people messing you around!

racebuddy

Visit site
Early am yard done worked massGed and out in the field work for 8am , finished work brought in and fed coctails and bed work again tommorow xx

Attachments

• 2F6D1F6D-F424-4071-8470-46567F9409E1.jpeg
    2F6D1F6D-F424-4071-8470-46567F9409E1.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 883EEAC9-4EFB-4610-9F23-C86232943CFB.jpg
    883EEAC9-4EFB-4610-9F23-C86232943CFB.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 46E3F775-5988-4497-A835-C1EBD97B1D55.jpg
    46E3F775-5988-4497-A835-C1EBD97B1D55.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 6

J&S

Visit site
Jumping logs/fallen trees in the forest takes me back to the hurricane! We rode in the New Forest and the enclosures were great places to jump whole lanes of fallen trees. Big problem was getting to a gate and finding it was impassable on the other side and having to jump all the way back again! I do miss those fun days with my NF pony.

rara007

Visit site
Not really been an inspiring weekend. Yesterday Ester took Cheeri for a driving hack and then we had a play with long reining and poles- we’ve been doing under saddle pole work most of the week with different exercises and it really makes him think. Lost a shoe in the stable overnight so just did arena and byway hacking to stretch the legs. F0CE43BF-DA1E-401C-89C6-423B504E7DB7.jpeg
1377B9F2-8665-4AAD-B338-9EE3ECDB4463.jpg

2 weekends until Lottie comes home from ‘school’. I’m missing her!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

Wishfilly

Visit site
Went for a little leg stretch down the lanes today (literally a fifteen minute loop, not sure I could call it a hack!). Coming back towards the yard, some of the horses in the fields by the lane were messing around, we were trotting up the hill and he did the biggest elevated trot. I didn't think he had it in him- I'd like to see that in the school please!

Hopefully after next week, things will dry out more and we can get out hacking more consistently. We both enjoy it more than the school, but we are both also tense because we aren't doing it enough at the moment. Anyway, a positive little session, which is nice as we probably won't be able to ride until Thursday or Friday now!

Roxylola

Visit site
We had a skivey day, I was out early waiting on scrappers again who didn't turn up again ?
Got up to the yard and did jobs, rode a friends horse for them, had a look round a local tack place than only opens certain Sundays- needed a bale knife a shovel and couple of other bits. Got the dogs walked - my mini hound ate something and has thrown up twice since ? then back to the yard to do up for the night so I popped Charlie on the walker and at least he's had a leg stretch