2 birds one stone.. Age and where the hell do people get their money from?

alsxx

Visit site
I'm 27 and married with a mortgage. We live in Kent and I work in London in HR on the internal resourcing side. The commute is rubbish but it pays the bills and I earn enough to keep my horses. Saying that, we got our mortgage when I was still 22, we split everything 50:50 and always have, so I have had to go without in other areas to afford the horses, as I haven't always earned what I get now (which isn't a huge amount to be fair!!!). I rent a private little yard for very little, but that means I have no flashy facilities so am limited to riding at weekends only in winter, and I do them myself around working and commuting!!

I paid for my trailer test with money left to me by my nan, and then my dad bought me a 2k car to tow with (so nout flashy!!), and I am planning to buy myself a trailer this winter which will be a 500/600 pounds max old rice trailer or similar as that's all I can afford. I also work as an artist on the side which is a hobby for me, but does earn me a few more pennies that goes towards my horses too.

JVB

Visit site
I have found this to be the best thread I've read on here in ages. So admirable what people do/ go without to make it happen.

Well I'm 31, in well paid job in Sales which is OK but I'm not hugely motivated by it. I've got two horses on cheap DIY, compete one when I can afford it and do have a lorry old M reg but in good nick.

We live in nice detached house, not huge mortgage as OH had lump sum from his Dad as deposit, I just about afford cheap holidays.

I struggle as OH earns about the same as me but has FAR less outgoings, I'm still paying off student loan and obviously the horses cost loads but we pay equally for house stuff.

I've found this thread interesting in that I really should be happier with what I have. I've always been the sort to want more and never be satisfied but after reading this I'm going to make a determined effort to be happier and appreciate what I've got.

Thanks to everyone!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
I'm like most of you and struggle to keep out of debt. But I often wonder HOW people pay for those luxurious horse boxes that pack into equestrian centres every weekend!! I mean, who are they? Nobody I know has much in the way of spare cash these days so where does all this very obvious wealth come from?

maggie123

Visit site
I've just turned 24 and I work in conferences in central London. I earn an average UK wage, although pretty low for London. I rent a small flat with two friends in SW London. My car is 13 years old but still going (just) and my mare is on grass livery out in Surrey. I do eat out / go out with friends quite a bit (albeit with discount vouchers!) and I'm lucky that my parents have a cottage in Scotland I can use for holidays. I think it'll be a while until I can have a foreign holiday and the idea of affording a mortgage seems a long way off. My parents are great and pay for my horse and car insurance, and my mum will sometimes take me shopping for clothes (normally when she notices holes in my shoes!).

Sometimes I get jealous of other people who seem to have loads of money or my friends who live at home rent free and dont own horses so they can afford nice cloths/ holidays / cars but then I look at other people my age who can't get a job and I feel pretty lucky.

Im a bit in awe of the people not much older than me on here with houses / kids / multiple cars and horses own land etc although I guess its a lot cheaper to live in other parts of the country. I could cry when I look on rightmove and see I could buy a three bed house with land in yorkshire for a lot less than a one room studio in London.

Janah

Visit site
I am the wrong side of sixty. I have a Pet shop/ feed store. This is how I pay for my boy, two labs and chickens.

Even so it is not easy in the current economic climate.

If things get much worse something will have to give.

Jane

ABC

Visit site
I really admire some of you guys :)

I've been really really lucky, probably too lucky.

I'm 19, but still at college. I work and get paid a good wage luckily. My grandparents bought me and my siblings a lovely house, which we rent out and I use the money from that to pay for my horse.

I had four horses once (all were bought cheap) and luckily they turned into superstars (slight exaggeration). I sold three of them this year to lovely homes, and earned myself some cash by doing so. I rented 3 acres, fenced it all off and bought myself a mobile field shelter with the cash for my lad. I'm know looking for a companion. :)

I'm so lucky :D but it's a shame it takes a post like this to make me realise xx

paddy555

Visit site
I'm like most of you and struggle to keep out of debt. But I often wonder HOW people pay for those luxurious horse boxes that pack into equestrian centres every weekend!! I mean, who are they? Nobody I know has much in the way of spare cash these days so where does all this very obvious wealth come from?

I would suggest that some, along with some cars and various other things, are owned by banks and a lot of other items owned by credit card companies whose customers are maxed out on their cards and overdrafts. Some others will be owned by limited companies where the directors have put them through the companies books.

So the question when you see a flashy vehicle etc is probably "who actually owns it" ?
You would be suprised at just how much some people owe. :D

ischa

Visit site
I'm 26 and have 3 horses
I currently work as a part time bar maid and have my own business
Doing tack partys
My husbands works 5am till 6.30
5-6 days aweek
He owns half of my horses so helps pay to keep them in hay etc and I have them on grazing land which is council land and I pay 120 every 3 months each horse
We don't have a big lorry ,
But have our range rover and a friend with a trailer if I wanted to use it , but I hardly compete I just enjoy being around horses which makes me fill complete
The only shows I do are local and I can walk to .
We are buying our house and have 2 children
If it wasnt for my husband working long hours without stopping for lunch
Or my little buisness and part time job we would not be able YO afford what we got
We also save money by shopping in aldi for weekly shopping etc

MrsHutt

Visit site
I agree, what an interesting thread!

I am 52 (although I think I am 22!! ;) )

I rode a little when I was a child but came back to it in my 40s. I got my first (loan) horse when I was 50 and then bought my first one (Hugo) nearly a year ago! I suppose this means that by now we are a bit more financially secure. OH and I are both teachers, we have two sons (one 21 and left home, one 16 and doing AS levels). We share household bills/car/school fees etc 50:50 and I pay for H. He is an economy horse, though! Lives out on working livery, so doesn't cost a lot per month. We have had a couple of inheritances which have cleared a lot of the mortgage, which helps a lot.

I do appreciate how lucky we are. But I also remember that through the years we have worked hard (at one point we were working 3 jobs each and I did my degree whilst working and bringing up the boys). My eldest son is about to move into a new flat (funded by us :D) and was talking about the furniture etc that they want and we told him that for the first year of our home-ownership we had a bed, a fridge, a tv and two deckchairs! :D:D (not necessarily in order of preference!)

flower08

Visit site
great thread!

im in my late 30's, up until 6 months ago i lived with my ex, we owned our own company that paid's well, (he still owns it) then after 10 years and one 8 yr old daughter later we decided to split up, i own one horse who up until this point was at a fab top class yard which was owned by my trainer, i was trained twice a week (showjumping) and competed often, now..... a different story lol, i sold my trailer and moved my horse to a farm 2 mins from my house, i dont have lessons now or compete, but im greatful that iv still got her! thankfully my ex and i are still very good friends and he helps me out money wise, at the moment im trying to get back to work which is hard when you've been out of it for 10 years! lol

oh, i have so far managed to keep my 4x4 too!

somethingorother

Visit site
I'm 42

I've got 3 horses.

I'm on the game.

(sorry if thats advertising BTW)

LOL!

Hey, if it pays for 3 horses i might give it a go!

I'm 23, just moved into a rented house with OH, he has a pretty decent job (despite dropping out of college and barely passing any exams) for our age. I have an absolutely rubbish one but it's all i could get despite a life of hard work (academic and actual work alongside), good grades and experience.

I did a degree in forensic psychology hoping for a job in a prison, haha fat chance of that! Would be lucky to even get an admin role in probation at the moment. I do photography part time around my full time job to make some extra pennies, but we are struggling big time, despite some help from family to get set up in the house.

Think i need to go for the 'marry a rich old guy, bide my time and then run off with his money back to OH' plan. Hopefully though OH will continue to be super good at his job in logistics and can get rich and buy me a pony one day.

I am just taking on a share at £17 a week, and to be honest that's going to be really difficult and i will have to go without things like a winter coat but i was getting depressed with no horses in my life.

Last edited:

MochaDun

Visit site
I'm 48, was only able to restart riding lessons at age 39 (having previously ridden from age 8 to 15) after selling a flat that had rocketed in value over 7 years and then thought why don't I try and get my own horse as this may be the one and only chance I have so I did 7 years ago. I had a decent job, decent salary and then 2 and a half years ago was made redundant. I'm still managing to keep my pony, on half the income I used to earn but lots has had to be abandoned -any thought of holidays, clothes now come from supermarket but very nice they are too :), riding lessons out the window also and just grateful that when I was looking for a horse I knew I wanted a native type as always thought worse case scenario he can winter out without a stable and can live off fresh air - he's the epitome of the good doer. We've been at same DIY yard for those 7 years and it's very reasonable if not cheap. I don't know what next year will bring, could be my toughest year yet financially but will tackle that problem should it arise. There's lots that will/can go or be sold but the horse won't :)

foal

Visit site
I think some horsey folk still live with the credit cards, and just getting deeper in the poo!!!! i know a few folk that just live day by day and when they get paid from their job it goes on there credit cards bill only for the credit card to be hammered again for them to live for another month, it's one big black hole and a hamster wheel. Am not fazzed anymore by the nice horse boxes and riders wearing good named clothing, as it's prob on the tick.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I'm 31, have 2 ponies, one is mine, one is on loan for my little girl.

I'm a freelance riding instructor, worked bloody hard for a long time in riding schools to build up a good reputation locally. Then took a year off to have a baby. Finally took the plunge and went freelance this summer and have not looked back. After living on riding school wages for 5 years, freelance money feels like a fortune ;)

My ponies are cheap as chips to keep as they live on air, are un-shod, and I rent an acre behind my parent's house for them. (My parent's allow me to use their driveway to tack up/groom etc but of course don't help out finacially as I'm far too old!) My daughter's father (my on/off/god knows DP) has a good job which helps with the household bills. I've just blown the budget and bought a £700 bahill trailer so I can get out and about. I find it hard to envy people with 50k horseboxes TBH, I'm so happy with my much longed for trailer, my two chunky ponies, a job I love and a horse-mad toddler - what more could anyone want?!

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
Likewise Poppymoo lol!!

I am speechless as to how much love people have for their animals. You hear so many dreadful cruelty related stories but its refreshing that there are hard working people who will give up almost any luxuries for themselves for their horses. I think a lot of people think we are mad but unless you are devoted to your horse its hard to understand.

I'm 24 I have 5 horses, 2 out on loan and 3 at home. I am too fortunate, I live on a farm, with my own stables and paddocks. I admit my dad being a farmer gives me my hay and even my bf who is also a farmer now brings me haylage other than that I fund my horses. I have bought a horse lorry over the summer too, she is old, f reg, but really is fantastic.

I have worked very hard over the years I left school at 15 worked full time sometimes 3 jobs and now I'm at uni doing physiotherapy so I can get myself a career where I feel I'm doing something good.

I do live at home rent free, that helps no end, but without sounding spoilt or bratty, my parents both drive new range rovers and they spend 10k+ on an annual holiday... I think they can afford to have me at home! However I would never expect them to put hand in pocket for the horses.

Xx

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
great thread :D I'm 27, 2 horses, rented house, car, pay for them by gaining a scholarship for a PhD (before anybody says it's uni loans being used wrong, it's a wage for teaching students and also researching my topic) skint, much! :D

horseymummy

Visit site
I,m 39 and broke and up until 5 years ago was super jealous of anyone with money. I was then diagnosed with cancer and for the first time in my life realised what the important things in life are. I have 2 fab children, 3 super ponies, a job I love (although not the highest waged) my lovely cats, a reasonably good hubby (he's not great with the mucking out) and something that I always took for granted until it was nearly taken away - my life. Every day to me is a great day , ok I still moan but nothing is ever that bad. I don't waste time thinking about money any more as long as the animals and kids are fed and warm I'm not bothered - its not like I am every going to win the lottery I've have had my share of good luck.:)

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
I,m 39 and broke and up until 5 years ago was super jealous of anyone with money. I was then diagnosed with cancer and for the first time in my life realised what the important things in life are. I have 2 fab children, 3 super ponies, a job I love (although not the highest waged) my lovely cats, a reasonably good hubby (he's not great with the mucking out) and something that I always took for granted until it was nearly taken away - my life. Every day to me is a great day , ok I still moan but nothing is ever that bad. I don't waste time thinking about money any more as long as the animals and kids are fed and warm I'm not bothered - its not like I am every going to win the lottery I've have had my share of good luck.:)

That is such a brilliant attitude, I think a lot of people need to take a leaf out of your book! I really hope your all better; you sound like one of the people who really does fully deserve to win the lottery.

xxxx

Madam Min

Visit site
Each time I go out competing, with my own horses and my own wagon and instead of spectating I'm actually on the other side of the fence so to speak competing, I still have to pinch myself cos when I was a kid I would have done anything for what I am so lucky to have now!

Molasses

Visit site
31 and work hard:D
I spent 20 years riding and competing other peoples horses. It's only in the few years i have the where-with-all to afford my own. I used to take a buses, trains, cycle whatever just to get to ride. Now i'm living my longed for dream, transport of my own, dog of my own, horse of my own and I have to say.......it really was a dream worth dreaming:D

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
I'm 16 and I pay for livery and bedding, mum pays for feed, which is about a bag every 3-4 months.
Feet trims is paid for usually by me but sometimes if mum's on the yard she'll insist that she pays for it (which makes me feel really bad! :/). I work weekends in Argos but over the summer I worked in a café for minimum wage. I rarely go out or buy myself things. :)

Echo Bravo

Visit site
A 50k horsebox, wouldn't be able to get it over my driveway and what a waste of money, think of the feed,hay,straw/shavings that the money would buy you! And what a lovely down to earth bunch of people on here. I'm rapidly reaching 63 and have kept horses for over 40 years, our saving grace was being able to buy our own land, but don't have a trailer anymore as just a happy hacker now, but we have scrimped and saved for the horses, can remember putting the money in several jamjars for differant bills.:):)

Sandylou

Visit site
I'm 31, married, no kids yet. I work a fair paid full time job as a service dept manager to run my car, keep my nag and pay my half of a mortgage & living costs. I go without new clothes 4 as long as i can, have my hair done about 3 times a year and only go out with friends about once or twice a month to enable me to afford the horse. Horse (6 year old cob x gelding) has everything he needs & when it cones to tack, rugs, feed and farrier he gets the creme de la creme! OH earns well & has just started his own business of which I own 10%...I never thought I'd be a director of anything but here I am :)
As others have said, on paper we're quite wealthy but in reality things do get tight at the end of the month.
I'm more than happy and extremely grateful for all I have. I will do anything to keep my horse and always will no matter what life throws at us....he's my sanity, my pride & joy, my best friend....you get the picture :)

Archina

Visit site
I am very lucky. I am 24 and my mum bought me my first couple horses and i worked them and sold them on for a profit. I got to keep that money and use it to either buy more projects or breed my own, though over the years i now have 9 and dont plan to sell any of them! :eek: I also look after my mums 2 horses as she is terminally ill, so that tally's my numbers up to 11! :eek: I work full time but my hours are felxible, i also have my own business and take in a few liveries to cover costs. Ive got about 18 acres, 7 stables and an outdoor school so costs are kept down to a minimum. We have rubber matting so i only use a small amount of shavings on there bed each night (4 living in this winter) haylage (we have a deal with the farmer who supplies it ;) ) and feed. I ve currently got a £600 vet bill but i am lucky as i have good relations with my vet clinic and they allow me to pay it off monthly instead on one lump sum. :rolleyes:
Most of mine are barefoot which saves costs when its time to get the farrier out. I never really buy anything for myself and dont go out much but that doesnt really bother me. :)

Hippona

Visit site
Ok...I'll fess up.

I'm not on the game:D

I am 42 though and I have 3 horses. Ok- technically one is OH's but I seem to be always on the end of the pitchfork.

I'm a nurse practitioner- decent wage but only after many years of post qualification study. Hard when the kids were little. OH is a supervisor at an NHS hospital. Not massive wages but OK.

We have 3 horses- rent some grazing and stables just along from our house which actually works out cheaper than livery. I have an 11 year old Disco TD5 - and an old trailer- make/model unknown:D

We don't have foreign holidays- we have a nice house which we bought before the prices sky-rocketed for which I thank my lucky stars otherwise we probably wouldn't be able to buy it now- or have the horses. I have no social life but can be seen quite often at the open end of a bottle of red.:D

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'm 21, I work full time as a Government account executive sales assistant.

I bought my own Horse and my car. I live with my parents but do pay rent. I have enough money to go with my friends at the weekends.

I won't have a credit card as I think they are dangerous :p so everything is paid form my wages.

I manage because I am careful with money. I don't buy things I don't need and will always look for the best bargain. My car is 10 years old now so not as nice as my other mates cars but ohwell :p