2 horses and working full time... Stupid?

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Just wondered what other peoples situations were with having more than one horse and working full time...

Currently have one high maintenance TB who is green and needs riding (mostly schooling) about 5 times a week. Trying to bring him on to ultimately do some v low level eventing.

My cob (had since birth) has been out on loan for 5 years but his loaner can no longer keep him due to health problems. I hate the thought of him going to any old person and so am thinking of having him back. He's been out of work for a while so will require a fair bit of work to get fit again, but will live out so no mucking out required.

I currently get up to the yard at about 6pm and leave early in the morning, hence a tad worried about having two.

Was thinking I can do some ride & lead and a friend has also offered to lead the cob out in the week with her horse.

Do-able or have I got my head in the clouds?!

Tobes

Visit site
Perfectly doable.

But it's whether you want to do it or not that matters.

Everything will take twice as long and cost twice as much.

MuddyTB

Visit site
Very doable, especially as your cob lives out.
Could you look at a part loan or sharer to help, but at your yard so you can supervise and keep an eye on him?

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Perfectly doable.

Yes... Cost is a slight issue. I'm hoping once he's fit I might be able to find a sharer, but obviously can't rely on that. He's pretty cheap to keep, next to no feed and lives out but obviously there's all the other costs.

I do really want to have him back, just a bit worried about havig two!

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Very doable, especially as your cob lives out.
Could you look at a part loan or sharer to help, but at your yard so you can supervise and keep an eye on him?

That would certainly be an option I'd want to look at doing. Would need to get him fit again first though

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I work full time and have 3. OH helps too. Horses all at home which helps. We still manage to hunt every weekend and we do not have help, arena or walker. We just do what we can.

Sprig

Visit site
I would say it is possible but very likely to take the fun out of it for you. Why not retire the cob and put him out on full grass livery? I am sure he would not mind - mine costs me £20 a week (plus hay in winter) and I can just pop and see him if and when I fancy it/have time.

Annagain

Visit site
I'd have him back and then get a sharer. I wouldn't necessarily wait until he's fit, some people like to start from scratch so I'd start looking straight away.

I have what I describe as 1 1/2 horses and a job with pretty long hours that can be unpredictable. My boy can't jump any more due to foot issues so I share my best friend's to compete on as she doesn't have the time with two young kids. I have a sharer who hacks my boy. I have 4 days a week when I do one horse, 2days when I do 2 and 1 day off (which a godsend or my food shopping would never get done!) Stable jobs don't quite take twice as long - maybe an extra 10 minutes as things like hay and feed you may as well do two as one so it's just the mucking out that's extra - and as you've said he lives out so that's not a problem.

You'll probably find you need to prioritise one over the other riding wise though. I've had to decide that if time is pushed and I can only ride one, my boy takes a back seat as it doesn't matter if he's not as fit as he should be (he hacks and does the odd fun ride and unaffiliated prelim dressage test) whereas I do a bit of low level eventing with my share horse so he has to be fit.

pippixox

Visit site
i was in a similar situation to you, as ended up buying my mare while my boy was on loan, then he was returned, but there was no question- i wanted him back for good :)
my mare is my priority from a riding point of view- try to get her out to training clinics and riding club stuff, and i did feel less pressure with my boy. he is a 15 yo ex-racer, my first horse and he is my happy hacker. however, he has arthritic hocks and have found he has to be kept moving and kept fit (well not very fit, but easily loses muscle tone and then gets weaker and stiffer) so i now have to ensure he gets worked too.
however, i can ride him and lead my mare off him- vital to save time in the winter. also a new lady at the yard with a horse on box rest, will ride him :) as i am too nervous to trust a sharer i don't know, but she is a friend now and trust her 100% with him.
time will be stretched and your finances, wont pretend at times i wonder why i have 2! but i love them both so much i could never choose one.
i would say go for it as your cob can live out and be kept cheap, and just don't feel pressure to keep him that riding fit. if you have a sharer just hacking a few times a week he will be fine not to be also ridden by you.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Perfectly double. I had 2 on DIY, all yard chores took an hour and during the week I used to ride them on alternate days and ride both on a weekend. Time wise doesn't it doesn't take twice as long and cost wise maybe 1 1/2 times as much as you can buy in bulk. I used to keep my tb and cob for about 500 pcm :)

Achinghips

Visit site
I work part time, have no children, two horses and employ someone to come in half a day a week to maintain fences, day and night stables and land and give me a morning off once a week ..... And I'm still absolutely knackered ! It's harder as you get older though

Last edited:

chestnuttyy

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, really nice to hear how everyone else manages! There is one person i know who is interested in having him on full loan and I'd be happy for him to go to her. Failing that I think I will have him back. He will be fine on grass livery and I should be able to find a sharer in time. Also think he'll be fine to lead off my other horse so that will keep things ticking over :).

Off to see him later this week, haven't seen him in over 3 years (he's about 300 miles away) so am really looking forward to it!

springtime1331

Visit site
I can manage two and work full time but struggled to keep two in work. At the moment I've got a retired mare on grass livery and a youngster who is in at night. Have to say I would struggle if I wasn't on part livery for the youngster though.

Renvers

Visit site
Perfectly doable and a great opportunity to improve your organisational skills by planning ahead with chores like haynets/feeds etc. Having two is a lot of fun, hard work, but worth it.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I work full time in one job, part time in another, have 4 ponies (two in work and one to start basic groundwork) plus running plus being on a couple of committees. Oh and renovating and decorating a house whilst restoring furniture.

I like to be busy.....

Oh I forgot planning a wedding!!!!

Girlracer

Visit site
I work full time and have two, that are currently in. I manage fine but one is a 3yo not currently in ridden work, but I do ride and lead quite often and do things in hand with him as I want to start him this year. I have done so with two big green horses in full work though. I think it's perfectly doable if you have a good routine :)

Kallibear

Visit site
Perfectly doable.

Exactly. Two horses is fairly easy. Two ridden horses takes a lot of time and commitment. I've always had two as I rent land and need a companion but I hated having two ridden horses. I'd constantly feel guilty that I couldn't give them both the time and dedication I'd be able to give just one. Everything comes down to money. They both need new rugs. I'd love the get top range expensive ones like PE but I'd only be able to afford one, so end up getting two cheap ones. Etc etc.

Lexi_

Visit site
My share horses's owner has got 2 and works full time. She has a sharer for each of them (me and a friend of hers) and it all seems to work really nicely - two of the three of us are usually around at weekends if we fancy a big hack and it's all very amicable about swapping days/covering for each other. I usually do them both of one of my nights so she can have the evening off :)

maccachic

Visit site
I had five (3 ridden a broodmare comming back into work and a foal) at one stage a full time job a part time job (Army reserves) and I managed a rugby team. No idea how I did it and I did almost quite riding.

Recently Ive gone down to 1 (from 2) and its so much better I think the days are getting shorter.

Geek

Visit site
It is definitely doable, I have two that get ridden 6 days a week and then look after another as well and they are all living in for the winter. See how you get on, you may find that it's not possible or that you love it.

Ceriann

Visit site
I have 3 and work full time (often long hours) - they are kept at home and generally v easy to do (they are currently in overnight due to weather so it's tougher). I manage but only one is ridden (and I'm getting help to keep her going over winter) and some of the fun has definitely gone over the last few weeks (which I'm putting down to weather and mud). I also have a very tight routine in the mornings to get everything done.

JVB

Visit site
Doable, I've had two in work on diy and been in full time work, I now have a small yard with liveries (6 horses) and manage this around work too, I am always tired though...

Farma

Visit site
I had 2 as well as working long hours full time for around 5 years both on diy, I was competing etc so riding both almost every day and along with everything it all got too much and I stopped enjoying it, I sold one of them and was so happy I did as having 1 is easy and much more affordable!

KateandWillow

Visit site
I have two horses, work full time and don't drive! They are both on DIY livery and in at night during the winter.

They are a 23 year old gelding who I hack and take on fun rides, and a 2 1/2 year old cob filly who I show and do ground work with. At the moment the filly is in all the time as I need to sort out a field for her but the gelding is turned out from 7am until 8pm every day.

I don't ride in the week during winter due to having no ménage however ride most days after work in the Summer.

I try and make up as many haynets as I can in advance and mucking out (1 straw, 1 shavings), haying, doing waters and feeds takes me an hour each night.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I am currently working 60 hours a week. My schedule is crazy and I'm also juggling two horses - both warmbloods who require regular work, one is only four and in desperate need of being restarted after I backed her last year. I recently took on a part loaner for my competition horse as I'm really struggling and it's the best decision I ever made. I have less stress and more time. So maybe part loan the cob. That way you have control and can keep an eye on him but have the pressure taken off for exercise, care etc.

AshTay

Visit site
I have 2 in work and a full time job. Both are in at night and out in the day. Both get turned out for me in the morning. One is on part livery in that he gets mucked out and worked twice in the week for me. The other one is mostly DIY (other than turn out). I do my own haynets. We have no school lights so I can't ride in the week in winter (I don't get to yard till gone 6). I used to do morning turnout and muckout when I had just one. At one point I had 3!
Not going up in the morning means I have time to walk my dogs and see my OH before I leave for work at 7.30am. If I went up I'd only hoof them straight out anyway so it's not like I'm missing out in that respect. I bring in at night and feed. At one point I was working both 5 times a week which meant doubling up on weekends and one weekday! That was hard and I can't keep that up and still function in my job and as a wife!! am lucky that I can now afford to pay for some help and I trust the help I have!

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
Exactly. Two horses is fairly easy. Two ridden horses takes a lot of time and commitment. I've always had two as I rent land and need a companion but I hated having two ridden horses. I'd constantly feel guilty that I couldn't give them both the time and dedication I'd be able to give just one. Everything comes down to money. They both need new rugs. I'd love the get top range expensive ones like PE but I'd only be able to afford one, so end up getting two cheap ones. Etc etc.

I sympathise with this. I have two at the moment, both need as much work as I can give them as one I am bringing on (when I got her a few months ago she had barely been ridden, and now jumps around a small course at a show) and the other is due to start eventing this season, should the rain stop!), and I am a full time (final year postgrad) law student, which is not as much of a doss as you would think it would be - haha! It's 40 hours+ a week of study/classes.

I have quite a solid routine so that they get ridden 5 days a week, and I find it helps so that I don't waste time. I have also tried to collect people to ride (the more reliable one) with me, so that I can get them both exercised (although it can take time to coordinate with others and be as efficient) and ride and lead once a week. One of the horses is out all the time, thankfully the winter hasn't been too cold and she is doing remarkably well in her big sloping paddock (not too wet, phew!). The other is on part livery, and is a complete wuss - ie gets mudfever just by looking at mud.

It is tough with two, and sometimes feels like a chore (especially when you are reaching the yard at crazy o' clock when the stars are still out to prod the horse out of its slumber!!), but it is great if you can do it. Of course, a bit more tricky if you want to go away or have to work particularly late. I like doing them in the mornings as it is a real sense of achievement having done both and are ready to start studying before 9am!! Tiring though, and not very sociable...and sometimes I'd like more time to do things better ie clean tack more/clean out lorry etc. and do other (normal non-horsey things), plus the livery bill is astonishing every month. I shall be selling at least one before I start work in the summer, as I need a bit of career focus for a while.

Why don't you try it out and see if it works for you? Good luck!

pipsqueek

Visit site
Perfectly do-able if you want to! I have two, although one is 23 & retired, I sj the other one at weekends. I work full-time & keep them both at a small farm up the road, it is not a yard as such, no arena etc, I just rent the field & stables, it is totally DIY with no involvement from the farmer. If you are doing one early in the morning, it doesn't take a lot more time to do two! I don't have the opportunity to exercise etc during winter unless I take half days off work but we manage somehow, where there's a will there's a way!!