2 Weeks on - Barefoot Comments and suggestions welcome

HeresHoping

Visit site
Following on from here: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...nge-going-barefoot-just-checking-a-few-things

Where you'll find a few pics - pretty hopeless ones, so am hoping yesterday's efforts are an improvement.

To recap:

15.1 hh 15 yo Connie, ex broodmare, brought back into work in 2013. Brought her oop norf with me on 1st Jan. Was reshod first week Feb (previous owner was a leave them on until they fall off type, and she would be not quite sound on this strategy after about 10 weeks). Shoes came off on 19 March as I was very unhappy - she was looking more and more camped under behind.

Fed: 2/3 Stubbs scoop A&P Fast Fibre with 25ml Riaflex Complete and 75ml (58g) Progressive Earth Pro Hoof. Soaked haylage in stable at night. Out all day on sparse grass (overgrazed with sheep to assist). She's a VERY good doer, but am pleased to note she hasn't been 'cresty' since I started soaking her haylage.

She has been very, very footy but we have persevered, building up to 25 mins on the road. I started off riding her in the sand school but she wasn't happy so she's just done the road work for the two weeks. She has to walk over a stony track to get to her field. By day 12 she started to feel comfortable but she had some unsoaked haylage on Friday night and boy did we notice it on Saturday. I rode her in the school on Sunday and she felt quite good - but we seem to have thrown up a whole load of mechanical issues by removing her shoes. She's a bit stiff through her hocks, particularly her off hind, but this wears off. I have just started lunging her as she needs to do some exercise, so got a good chance to have a look at this. Any way, her boots should arrive this week but in the meantime, with your guidance, we'll keep going.

OFF FORE

OFF HIND

NEAR FORE

NEAR HIND

Thank you!:eek:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
To my very untrained eye! They look quite good, (but if you've seen my rehab, most feet look good compared to her :eek:), her fronts look like her heels could do with widening and frogs beefing up, but the angles and whiteline look ok?

I'm at about 11 weeks and we are still very footy over stones, boots help a lot, Doodle didn't want to come out of her stable today but then it was raining. Feed wise looks good so I guess just giving her a little longer doing what your doing :).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
sorry HH, was offline for much of last night ;) pics def improving!
In some pics they look quite flat but am not sure? If so I suspect that is contributing to the footiness (been there, done that ;) ). Her frogs are quite a nice length but am sure they will widen up behind.

Re the stiffness I wouldn't worry too much if it goes with a bit of work and it is better for them to be bare then anyway long term IMO. I've started F on some boswellia (from rahiiq.com as cheapest!)) recently and had good results.

HeresHoping

Visit site
sorry HH, was offline for much of last night ;) pics def improving!
In some pics they look quite flat but am not sure? If so I suspect that is contributing to the footiness (been there, done that ;) ). Her frogs are quite a nice length but am sure they will widen up behind.

Re the stiffness I wouldn't worry too much if it goes with a bit of work and it is better for them to be bare then anyway long term IMO. I've started F on some boswellia (from rahiiq.com as cheapest!)) recently and had good results.

Oh, thank you. Sorry - didn't meant to poke too hard. Yes, her fronts are flat, her hinds she practically walks on the wall still. Will add boswellia to the list.

She is, to look at front on, wearing down the outside edges of her off fore to the point it is now almost level, which was considerably longer (about 1.5cm) than the inside edge.

Thank you AH. Can't get over Doodle's pictures! I guess beefing up the frogs comes with work?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
A bit disappointing, I think that you are between devil and deep blue sea, as we want more hoof growth , but this usually comes with summer turnout. Is it possible the grass is stressed by overgrazing and is therefore high in sugars, so that she is on the tipping point of low grade laminitis, which would explain the problem with eating unsoaked haylage.
Can you source a few bales of hay, essentially this will be lower in sugar. and stalkier so she can have ad lib, you don't want her going out hungry.
Keep using boots until definite hoof growth, you can still balance with the farrier rather than road rasping, which is the target.

Last edited:

ester

Visit site
Oh, thank you. Sorry - didn't meant to poke too hard. Yes, her fronts are flat, her hinds she practically walks on the wall still. Will add boswellia to the list.

She is, to look at front on, wearing down the outside edges of her off fore to the point it is now almost level, which was considerably longer (about 1.5cm) than the inside edge.

Thank you AH. Can't get over Doodle's pictures! I guess beefing up the frogs comes with work?

ah so doing a bit of self-rebalancing of her walls then.

And yes with use, but you have to keep that within what they can cope with. How is she landing?

HeresHoping

Visit site
A bit disappointing, I think that you are between devil and deep blue sea, as we want more hoof growth , but this usually comes with summer turnout. Is it possible the grass is stressed by overgrazing and is therefore high in sugars, so that she is on the tipping point of low grade laminitis, which would explain the problem with eating unsoaked haylage.
Can you source a few bales of hay, essentially this will be lower in sugar. and stalkier so she can have ad lib, you don't want her going out hungry.
Keep using boots until definite hoof growth, you can still balance with the farrier rather than road rasping, which is the target.

Oh. Thank you.

I am very concerned about the laminitis you have mentioned. Is it time to get the vet? Her feet are warm in the mornings, when she has been standing in her stable - NOT hot; no racing digital pulses - but perfectly cool in the afternoons when she comes in (about 4:30 ish).

The grass possibly is stressed - the sheep are now off it, and it has turned green over night.

I was of the understanding that haylage is lower in sugar than hay. Info from Dengie, Rockley, etc. Is that not right?

Our haylage is included as part of our livery. I have been soaking a big haynet full for 10 hours a day. She's in over night, from 6:00 to 6:45 - slightly longer at weekends. I will soak two nets if necessary.

There is hay available - at a price, it seems from my initial inquiries - but just looking at what has been brought in, it suggests to me that it is rather good meadow hay. I will ask around. Actually, thinking about it, someone has just had a round bale delivered at a reasonable price. I'll ask her.

We haven't done anything except walking on the roads, building up to 25 mins now. This without boots as I had sourced some but discussions resulted in us cancelling the order. Just awaiting new ones to be delivered. Could she be wearing the hoof down too fast?

Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it.

SusieT

Visit site
If your horse is not wanting to leave its stabe - DONT make it walk where it is sore- it is cruel. Either tape on nappies/padding, shoe, give bute, involve your vet but do NOT keep making it walk where its sore.

ester

Visit site
OP said she will have boots on.

HH it isn't necessarily wearing hoof down too fast per se as feet waking up and soles making contact where they haven't done before etc. Obviously you have her so know exactly how sore she is but it sounds like I would be booting for her road walking and to/from the field for a bit.