2016- the good, the bad and the ugly. go!

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
Just coming to end of 2016 and I dont know anyone that's had a 'good year' :( this year hasn't been brilliant for me especially these past couple of months but am trying to stay positive so have been thinking (very hard) about the good things that have happened to keep things in perspective/balance. So fellow HHOers what's the best and worst things of your 2016. Feel free to include pics ��

Shooting Star

Visit site
The best has to be the arrival of my new lady a few weeks ago:smile3: ... but she's only here really due to the worst which was the endless problems with my boys legs which have now seen him turned out to grass with me not really sure of what his future will be.:blue:

Crossing fingers for 2017 that the lad can have some type of consistent ridden future and that I don't find any health issues with my girlie:eek:

Sorry, no pictures I'm rubbish with getting them on here!

Equi

Visit site
I have to say, without jeopardizing it (and if you say that, life can't jeopardize it!!) ive had the best year.

I got a new role in work i LOVE so much, and is full time. So that enabled me to buy my horse, who i have also had an amazing year with because we did a show, beach and other shnannigans i never thought i would ever have the balls to do. I had an amazing year showing my stallion getting several champions and supreme champion, and a second year of champion with my gelding. My wonderful foal was born with zero issues and my mare who i could not get pregnant got pregnant! I could not have had a better year! Next year i hope will be awesome too.

I suppose the only bad thing i can think of is that one of my lovely residents at work passed away a couple of weeks ago, and i was a bit of a mess about it. Went into work yesterday to see a gift under the tree from them that i had not gotten before as i was on holiday. So that was very emotional.

But all in all a very good year.

13900312_10208614185969553_2096067110430763140_n.jpg

13775943_10208456756633918_6458546440097006706_n.jpg

14691436_10209234016144920_6030448280481573165_o.jpg

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
The best has to be the arrival of my new lady a few weeks ago:smile3: ... but she's only here really due to the worst which was the endless problems with my boys legs which have now seen him turned out to grass with me not really sure of what his future will be.:blue:

Crossing fingers for 2017 that the lad can have some type of consistent ridden future and that I don't find any health issues with my girlie:eek:

Sorry, no pictures I'm rubbish with getting them on here!

fingers crossed for you and your boy for next year. They do like to worry us dont they :( Really hope you have a fantastic time with your girlie too!! :D

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
I have to say, without jeopardizing it (and if you say that, life can't jeopardize it!!) ive had the best year.

I got a new role in work i LOVE so much, and is full time. So that enabled me to buy my horse, who i have also had an amazing year with because we did a show, beach and other shnannigans i never thought i would ever have the balls to do. I had an amazing year showing my stallion getting several champions and supreme champion, and a second year of champion with my gelding. My wonderful foal was born with zero issues and my mare who i could not get pregnant got pregnant! I could not have had a better year! Next year i hope will be awesome too.

I suppose the only bad thing i can think of is that one of my lovely residents at work passed away a couple of weeks ago, and i was a bit of a mess about it. Went into work yesterday to see a gift under the tree from them that i had not gotten before as i was on holiday. So that was very emotional.

Oh equi I'm so happy for you :) Sounds like everything hs gone brilliantly for you! Your mini foal is so super duper cute! :D

KAZJAZ

Visit site
not a good year at all, I lost my boy to colic in January, it was around this time last year he became unwell, I have another horse and she is quirky and fun but she isn't him, he was my forever horse. I feel bad for her as I don't feel I give her my all in the same way as I did with him and I have completely lost my competing mojo. Time passes and things get easier but some things never go back to how they were.. :(

here's to a positive and enjoyable 2017 x

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e088aa9f082736de7653f78fe1128763&oe=58E801F8

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep highs and lows. Best thing has got to be total change in personal circumstances, now very happy and settled with lovely OH :eek:
Second best: lovely Kira growing into herself and taking the world on, instead of trying to hide from it. She's done 2x regionals, area festivals, native champs... all sorts, and grown up immeasurably. Looking forward to a fun year in 2017, all being well.. she's got her first medium in a couple of weeks and learnt her changes quite easily

15178988_1376935302317976_2831849279890365167_n.jpg

Worst has got to be Millie doing her 4th leg in a stupid field whoopsie. She's almost out of lives - decided to go for surgery but the outcome wasn't what we hoped so she has retired from dressage as she has an intermittent mechanical lameness now when she plays too much. I'm hoping she will be able to do some showing next year. In the meantime she's Kira's hacking buddy. But that was a huge disappointment having just started AM and playing with Adv/PSG a bit, silly old goat does too much of this kind of thing and doesn't know how fragile she is now.

12494737_1016615431708995_8251289020942583321_n.jpg

Peterboy1

Visit site
2016 is the year I got my first horse! After riding schools and part loans didnt work out, with years of research and the help very kind people (also my mum and dad who said yes), i finally got my first horse :). I no longer have him, we just didnt work together, but now I have what I think is my horse of a lifetime and I am really happy about that :)

rhylis

Visit site
I've had good and bad! The good has been getting back into riding after illness and an operation. Also bringing my two young new forest ponies back into work and finding out that they are both even better than I thought they were!
The bad has been losing my wonderful haflinger mare in November. She has been such an incredible horse over the years and it was her I got back on after my operation. She looked after me every time I got on her even though my confidence was low and I was a bit fragile. Having to make the decision to have her put to sleep came very quickly and I still haven't really come to terms with it yet.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
This is the year I have managed to get my NF in work (had 4 lessons so far) and our confidence has improved massively. My health is gradually improving/I'm managing it better and recognising when I'm overdoing it so I don't need to take as much recovery time as before.

It was a bad year for Tilly as it seemed like she had laminitis for a bit there but if it was it was very slightly and xrays showed hooves are ok. She was stabled for 6 weeks and going up to yard every day was tough and impacted my health but we got through it and I have a healthy pony again.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Bad - Getting trampled.
Good - The Boy coming good & now tacked up lunging, coming in at night & making great progress.

Equi, I miss that beach so much. One day, I'll go back there.

chaps89

Visit site
The good: Finding a lovely new share horse, with a supportive owner and fantastic instructor. Getting my own horse fit and back into work and riding her round the xc course next door and popping some of the smaller jumps. Finding a fabulous new job, close to home, more money and with amazing colleagues.
The bad: share horse has been off games since the summer but now back into work so his future looks good. My madam is back off games, £2000 into her next insurance claim and likely to be retired at the grand old age of 7.
Frankly I can't wait for 2017!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
As posted in another thread, I covered my year in a recent blog post (http://numberonescottishgroom.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/2016-season-highlights-lowlights-awards.html).

But to recap, highlights were the births of Cliff and Phil (registration paperwork sent off yesterday - to become Crosshill Costa and Crosshill Cadillac respectively), my first pacer Smokey being gifted back to me after 9 years apart (she's now 22) and winning with all 3 of the horses we trained - Stevie, Cassius and Ace. Ace's win was the most poignant as she's our first 'homebred' (technically not bred by us as she was imported in utero but she's our first Crosshill foal born, plus she won a race which historically means a lot to my OH (video of race - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj2PDcKnMDc).

Lowlights were Stevie's bad luck in the Appleby Brough final (was stopped halfway through the race due to a backfield accident with him 4 lengths clear in front and cruising, beaten in the re-run as ran out of fuel) and then him falling out with a fence which cut his season short 3 days before he was due to run in a televised race at Musselburgh. That's after he went through an op in January on a large abscess on his neck (video of procedure is on Youtube and really weirdly has over 1 million views now!). He's a bit of a Calamity Jane type. Tbh that's it really; Phil got sick at 4 weeks but recovered. After last year when we lost 3 horses in separate incidents I had hoped at the start of 2016 that things couldn't be as bad and looking back now, they haven't been so for that I am very grateful.

I can't complain. Our season wasn't as successful as the previous 2 in terms of numbers of wins BUT in the 3 seasons I have trained at our yard we have won races with every single horse we've had in. I got 2 colt foals (exactly what I ordered) whose legs (if at times, nothing else) have been perfect from day 1. Our unraced 2YO has been successfully broken in, although has curbs which we will need to address before she races (won't be until 2018); Ace is now back in training for her 3YO campaign next year over with the guy who trained her last winter before she came back to us in the spring. Her dam Rita is in foal to the top pacing stallion in the UK and due to foal end of March/start of April...yeah, it's been OK!

sasquatch

Visit site
Best - being able to start riding regularly again due to my health improving :) Whilst I still have very tired days where I don't have the energy to ride, it makes me feel better overall and I feel B is being much nicer to me and much more responsive to my riding, and just going better, especially in the past few months.

Worst - I got sent through the wing of a jump (and broke it!) in August, and in the process of falling through the jump B got a bit tangled and ended up standing on the inside of my bad knee. I had a massive big haematoma, and went to A&E a few days later to check I hadn't damaged anything and the x-ray came back fine, but my knee is still swollen, grey and very painful where I was stood on. I get a lot of shooting pains and aches and it's much worse now than it was with the original knee problem :(

Antw23uk

Visit site
The good .. bringing this bad boy back off loan and home to our new place which came with land and stables ....

The%20Gambles_zpstfce4w9h.jpg

The bad ... well kinda bad because I treated myself to a 2nd horse. Sorry Spottyappy you arent getting her back :p

15439760_10153875702446261_933570996918821626_n_zpstitbkv06.jpg

The ugly will be me if she loses another shoe before I get my Xmas and Boxing day hacks in! All in all a good 2016 and looking forward to 2017 :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Good - finally on a path to longterm soundness and found a way of working and the right people to help me get there. First day today he was sound on trot the first time trying, as is bridke lame a lot, hopefully I'm cracking it.

Also good, seem to have backed the 4you WHW pony with minimal fuss, as in none, he's a dude! Just need to do more roadwork and traffic proofing. He's only had my 3yo daughter on him so far, just need to make sure his saddle properly fits before I get a bigger rider on.

Bad, none this year, first year in a long time though!

Ugly - might have to stop riding due to mini SF 2 due in April, a good thing going obviously on the whole!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Good: Getting my lovely welsh mare out hacking solo after several years of hacking in company. I'd forgotten how wonderful it feels to be out and about, just me and my best mate.

Bad: Losing my little old pony. Still haven't even begun to deal with this and I don't know if I ever will.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
The good, realising that I've managed to raise both of my geldings to be well mannered and biddable four year olds. Also, finally winning the trust of the near feral mare that I bought as a companion pony :)

The bad, one of the above geldings being officially declared a field ornament (mechanical issue) aged just three and three quarters. Having to admit defeat on a little project filly :(

The ugly, probably that dodgy moment back in April when I slipped in the field and fell underneath the less sensible gelding! Bless him, he stood like a rock until I dragged myself clear :eek:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I would class this year as mainly good because it has been the year of Kevin. Since the great lump arrived in February this year I feel that once again I am riding well. My confidence has grown and I am really enjoying the challenge of working with this super, intelligent, kind horse. I hope I have improved his life as much as he has improved mine.

The bad was the loss of my father in law and the realisation that I was never going to really enjoy my traditional cob. So I found him a loan home. I adore him but I just did not gel with him under saddle. He was just too small.

The ugly was finding my lad starved and unkempt. I got him home ASAP and yes nursed him back to health. I was so deversated by his treatment, it must of been a shock to him, as he has never wanted for anything. On a happier note he is now in a new loan home with a teenage girl. Six weeks in he is fat and happy. I will keep a close eye on!!!

Last edited:

Patchworkpony

Visit site

13900312_10208614185969553_2096067110430763140_n.jpg

13775943_10208456756633918_6458546440097006706_n.jpg

14691436_10209234016144920_6030448280481573165_o.jpg
I SO love your little stallion - how is he bred (which stud) and where did you find him?

Arniebear

Visit site
This year has been pretty ***** for me tbh. Eventer bust last season so purchased youngster to play with whilst he's out of work. Got the all clear to bring eventer back in work in jan and by march he was bust again so had to make the decision to turn him away for the year... it really does suck without him at home. Youngster was going great guns and all set for the season, managed one event and then bust too so 3 months off, bring him back into work and find he had a fractured tooth requiring surgery, home from that and back in work again and he gets a nasty kick whilst out hacking resulting in possible fracture to cannon bone and more time off work. Thankfully he's all good now and back on flying form. I also quit my job as i hated it but now i cant find anything else so just bumming about part time which sadly means i dont have enough spare cash to finally be able to take the pony out and about so we are also just bumming about at home really bored.

The only good thing to come of this shocking year is when both ponies bust i buggered off traveling for a month or so and had an amazing time.... should have just stayed out there tbh!!

Roll on 2017 where i hope my big boy can come home, sound and the youngster can actually make it through an event season ohhhhh and i actually find a proper job!

TuscanBunnyGirl

Visit site
It seems to have really been a rollercoaster for most of us :( Have loved reading your good bits though! :D

My good was this boy moved in :D
13043371_1391509504208297_1995173948884393247_n.jpg

and i took a lovely mare in that had been deemed unrideable and horrible etc etc and we did these things:
13427812_1434589919900255_2138724065607466546_n.jpg

The bad seems to have been merrily dumping on us all through the year really :( I lost one of my mares at the beginning of the year :( My little chestnut mare went lame for most of the summer which turned out to be a shoeing issue. A couple of really unexpected deaths of our family friends. Everything has just been a bit higgledipggledy this year so didnt really get anything done. Decided to crack on for the winter season after a september holiday and had a horrible car crash in october which has left me with a pretty smashed up knee cap which has led to blood clotting etc and the doctors arent sure if I'l ever get 100% movement back in the joint :( Im missing riding so much and not sure when I'll be back properly riding. Have also lost a lot of 'friends' due to not being able to drive now etc so definitely leaving 2016 on a low point. :( Really looking forward to 2017 being better :)

Last edited:

LadySam

Visit site
The Bad: Another year of unemployment after being made redundant at the end of 2014. It's taken a toll on my self esteem and the relationship with OH.

The Ugly: So much death and poor health. Lost my uncle early in the year, two months to the day after my aunt (his wife) went in late 2015. Cousins now not speaking to each other, one still really not coping with bereavement. OH lost his uncle. Putting my other aunt in a nursing home. The travails of having her cared for. The trauma of having her horses pts. The effect it's all had on my mother. Other very saddening issues with other family animals, who are/were very much family members.

The Good: Working with horses again, almost full time. It's volunteer work but I've been putting my knowledge and experience to good use helping care for and retrain ex-racehorses. Coming home exhausted and filthy but almost mindlessly happy. Quickly becoming well liked and respected at the yard, and striking it lucky that it's a great bunch of people to work with. Finding an excellent endocrinologist who is helping me finally lose a lot of illness related weight gain. Finding that I still have ambitions when it comes to my riding, and thanks to this weight loss I might start to realise some of them in 2017.