2017... Year of the dressage dive... maybe?

Girlracer

Visit site
Afternoon!

Just wanted to drop by with a little update on King and I, now I feel like I have something to update on. :lol:

I have decided now to really crack on with some lessons, initially on the flat but also now introducing some lessons over fences too. I have never really had flat work lessons, as I have always felt confidence wise that jump lessons were more important for me... However now that confidence is a little higher, and a better paid job means I can have more than one lesson in a blue moon we have had a fair few flat work lessons over the past few months.

Initially, he was good, he is forever improving... and my instructor taught King previously, so knows exactly how far he has come already.

However the past week or two, both of us seem to be getting it.

I am very proud of both of us, and am so thankful to my instructor for all her help.

These were earlier this week... getting there...

16388386_1115330618592539_9098145288961314258_n.jp  g

16194919_1115331338592467_5991455750332432225_n.jp  g

A little video...

[video]https://www.facebook.com/CMWequestrian/videos/1844794335803433/[/video]

And then in our lesson yesterday, so exciting to see him looking like this, his frame and length of stride are like a different horse to a month ago!

16299256_1117225145069753_4686944049384124485_n.jp  g

16195625_1117225185069749_1544946929213025067_n.jp  g

16425921_1117225338403067_1537827162353271110_n.jp  g

16388330_1117225351736399_7849044777295325095_n.jp  g

[video]https://www.facebook.com/cassey.watson/videos/1116433031815631/[/video]

Over the moon with how much stronger he is looking, how much more accepting of a contact he is (baring in mind there was a time in his life, not so long ago that if you took up any contact he planted himself and threatened to go up!), how rideable he is and just generally how positive everything is at the moment.

16427780_1117225668403034_120644169829146518_n.jpg

16427560_1117091525083115_2136839634359872937_n.jp  g

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Great photos, and so pleased for you that you'll be able to really crack on with the training even if you can't get out and about :) well done !

ahml100

Visit site
He looks fantastic! As someone who struggles *read fails!* in the dressage department I know that feeling of utter joy of the pieces starting to fall into place :)

nato

Visit site
Looking fabulous! As I said to you before, while everyone else is scrambling to get out competing and maybe scrimping on the training, you're improving no end and really getting yourself to a point where you'll sail through competitions when you get back out!

JustMe22

Visit site
Looking great! It's always such an amazing feeling when you start to feel the horse is actually soft and connected.

Will be keeping track of your progress as I love all the ex-racers :)

Girlracer

Visit site
Great photos, and so pleased for you that you'll be able to really crack on with the training even if you can't get out and about :) well done !

Thank you, me too. :)

He looks fantastic! As someone who struggles *read fails!* in the dressage department I know that feeling of utter joy of the pieces starting to fall into place :)

It's great, isn't it? It's just nice being able to pick up a contact and put my leg on without an argument, actually! Haha.

Looking fabulous! As I said to you before, while everyone else is scrambling to get out competing and maybe scrimping on the training, you're improving no end and really getting yourself to a point where you'll sail through competitions when you get back out!

Yes, you're absolutely right. Although I have booked a weekend out in a few weeks, as we had to miss the Area Points Show Jumping last weekend as he decided to jump a 1m40 gate onto hard standing and made himself a bit sore. So I moved the lorry hire on a few weeks. Looking forward to it!

Looking good, as you will know if your flatwork improves so will everything else you do with him.

Yes absolutely I really hope I start to see a difference over fences too. His whole problem has been acceptance of a contact, which is improving no end now.

Looking great! It's always such an amazing feeling when you start to feel the horse is actually soft and connected.

Will be keeping track of your progress as I love all the ex-racers :)

Thank you, although I feel as though we have been living a lie, I do own an ex racehorse - however that isn't King! Although he is regularly mistaken for an ex-racehorse, he is a Thoroughbred and was broken in by a racehorse trainer... so I guess he is somewhere near! He has been much more difficult than any ex-racehorses I've known too!

Thank you!.

LeannePip

Visit site
Wow, what a difference, he looks to have grown and really matured/ filled out even in the recent photos!

As some one who previously hated flatwork but resigned myself to 'getting into it' with a young horse, I now really enjoy my flat lessons and seeing the little changes you can make that then just grow and grow and grow!

Lyle

Visit site
Looking good! A stint of proper flatwork really benefits the TBs! I've found if you really want them to bulk up muscle wise, laying off the fast/jumping work for a while and focussing on the dressage. Enjoy your time training, it's nice to regroup and focus on progressing

Girlracer

Visit site
Yay join the dressage side! It will help with your jumping too remember. :)

It certainly will! Thank you.

Wow, what a difference, he looks to have grown and really matured/ filled out even in the recent photos!

As some one who previously hated flatwork but resigned myself to 'getting into it' with a young horse, I now really enjoy my flat lessons and seeing the little changes you can make that then just grow and grow and grow!

Thank you Leanne, yes he is really bulking out this year. Although he is 10 he was so poor when I met him he looks like a different horse.

I am also really enjoying my lessons, and realising that sometimes it will take it feeling horrible for a short while to make it better in the long run!

Looking good! A stint of proper flatwork really benefits the TBs! I've found if you really want them to bulk up muscle wise, laying off the fast/jumping work for a while and focussing on the dressage. Enjoy your time training, it's nice to regroup and focus on progressing

Thank you Lyle, I have never really had facility or opportunity to really knuckle down and get on with it so it has been really beneficial for both of us.

Looking great, and love your lower leg position!

That's very kind of you, I had for some reason after our break started really gripping with my knee and tipping forward - I think I've just about got out of it in trot but still have a tendency to do it in canter... work in progress!

What a difference! Wow! And to you, too - from those pictures a couple of years ago to now - almost a different rider!

It's an amazing feeling when that back comes up underneath you and the front end goes soft. You and he look fabulous!

Thank you so much! I am really pleased you can see such a difference, as we have been working very hard to improve. A long way to go of course, but on the right track :)

rachk89

Visit site

That is true. There is a tb at my yard who I wouldn't have guessed tb at all when I first saw him. He is a tb on steroids, so much muscle everywhere but he looks fab. His owner does mainly hacking and dressage with him.