2018 round up and plans for 2019!

J_sarahd

Visit site
2018 started with me beginning to actually go over jumps in canter on my share pony, after months of schooling to do so without him tanking off with me. We also had a few dressage tests to keep us ticking over.

We went to our first cross country schooling outting, which started off disastrously but ended with us jumping a 90cm roll top. Even though it was from trot, it was such an improvement for us.

At the start of summer we started working Hunter season. It started awfully (got eliminated from our first round and came last in our second) but I was so proud because it was the first time we cantered an entire course in control!!! After that we were out pretty much every weekend at a small riding club show doing working hunter. There were definitely ups and downs, but we won a lot of red frillys.

During this time we entered our first County show. We did it for experience and fun. But we ended up coming 2nd in the 80cm. And not only winning the BSPS Novice for his height class but the Championship! Which means we currently have a solid silver trophy waiting to get our names engraved.

I went on my first horsey holiday to Field Farm in Skegness. Pony was a nightmare everywhere except in the show jumping paddock, but I got to borrow two ponies for beach canters and I became the photographer of the holiday (which was fine by me!)

Went to SSADL’s championship show at Onley - our first overnight show. It was a weekend of highs and lows - eliminates from the WH after 1 jump but 3rd in concours and won the dressage!

Since then things have been a bit stagnant and stale. Not much to report at all really.

Aims for 2019 -
I’ll hopefully buy a pony at the start of the year so, just have fun and do everything at least once!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
All change here this year!

I started the year convinced I was too old to back my three year old and had him tentatively booked in to send away. But taking it really slow (slow for me, anyway :) ) I got him backed and ridden and he now rides really sweetly in all three paces, has been super sensible for a lightweight three year old. My plan next year is to enjoy how fantastic he is to ride, and get him out to the farm ride and a few Prelims for experience.

My four year old mini had to come off my very rough 'safe' grass in summer because of slight footiness, even though her older companion didn't. I couldn't get her back out on grass in autumn, sore aga, then when my attempt to get her out in winter also failed I called it quits and gave her back to the person I bought her from, whose circumstances had changed and she had wanted her back for several years.

A best friend and near neighbour meanwhile has begged to take my other mini for her grandchildren. Since she adores being fussed by children, she is being delivered tomorrow.

My half Clyde cob put on even more substance at eight than he did at seven, and his change in power to weight ratio was so great that he began not to enjoy the level of dressage that I was trying to work him at. I decided a month ago that he deserved to be with people who thought he was wonderful than with someone who wished he was more than he could be. He left a week ago and I'm getting texts that really make me smile saying 'we are in love'.

So by now I'm in urgent need of a cheap rideable companion for Ludo, the appaloosa/standardbred three year old. I decided on an ex racer, as it would be a match metabolically for Ludo next summer, and I've always enjoyed riding them. Found one on Horsemart that should have been spot on, and decided to take the van to view it, hoping to bring it home with me. After a two hour drive, I was in the yard less than five minutes, during which time a rack thin TB spun round and round the box like a lunatic, and flung me ten feet across the stable when I tried to pick up a hind foot.

Fast forward to today, having just picked up an unraced hurdler fairly locally, who was twice the horse he looked like on his advert. He's only been here two hours, but things look good. He's seven but very, very babyish, and my objectives for him will be to get some muscle on him, get him out hacking, get him barefoot, and do some Prelims for experience.

I have a lot to look forward to in 2019 👍👍👍

albeg

Visit site
I didn't post last year, attempting to make plans hasn't gone well for me previously, so this year was a vague "we'll do a few bits, some TREC, maybe a leg of the dressage league, hopefully we'll jump a course at some point".

The year started with an arena PTV and Speed TREC league at a local yard, with a very happy, pingy pony heading to a couple of them. Picked up some frillies, and some useful prizes, including a bottle of shampoo the week I had to bring a brown thing dragged straight from the field (had dropped in on my way to the yard to leave some stuff with the organisers, then ended up being needed to stay and help, which meant I had no time to clean pony, but gave everyone a good laugh when I collected my prize).

DSC_1031.jpg

Next up was the riding club dressage league, the first time I've properly attempted dressage, and also the first time my sheet hasn't been covered in "Pony slightly above bit" (a.k.a. pony resembles a giraffe). Rather surprisingly, we made it to 4 legs of the league, came away with two 6ths, a 3rd and 6th overall. Not bad for the little giraffe pony!

46272980422_8bc20aa79a_b.jpg

LINK to 2018 round-up album which contains pro-pics of dressaging pony.

Next was supposed to be the TREC Ireland Open Championships in May, but a viva got in the way of that, meaning I couldn't travel down until the Saturday, so with no way to get Bob down in time, I went down Saturday afternoon so I could judge on the Sunday. Walked the PTV on Saturday evening and really wished I'd been able to go.

Our next competition was the Riding Club Festival. Went for the long arena dressage and the handy horse (thinking that an experienced TREC pony would be amazing at handy horse). First "oh crap" happened on mounting, where Bob spotted the crowd, and considered being a cross between a pogo stick and a rocking horse, between the roadway and one of the dressage arenas. Also had a massive spook at a horse heading the opposite direction to us. Got him settled, then headed down for our test. A bit tense in places, but we got through it, and though we didn't place, I was happy enough with his mark (consistent with what he'd been getting elsewhere, but at quieter venues).
Then there was the handy horse. Included tasks such as collecting and posting a letter, moving a cup from one pole to the other, bendy poles in trot, a wiggly ski-slalom thing, a 20m circle, a figure of 8 and a few other things. All looked fine, some flower pots and things around the course to make it spooky, but "Bob is fine with those things, we'll be fine." Nope. Spooked his way around the course. Finished the day by watching a friend's dressage to music and decided that we might give it a go next year.

My next outing was one I bounced between putting an entry in and not for quite a while, before mentioning it in passing to my YO, who encouraged me to go for it, so I found myself entered for the 90cm derby class at the RC Showjumping championships. I haven't been to the SJ Champs since 2010, where I had a splat after the fourth fence, which dented my confidence over coloured poles, but I'm happy enough to do rustic/xc, so wasn't totally bricking it (mostly).
After some delays, consideration of going home and a good friend to convince me otherwise, we went in and jumped.
Very happy with the round, just outside the times for placing (think we were 7th), I was a bit sticky in places but Bob was great. I was there to get round a course of fences somewhere that wasn't home, which I haven't done in years, so I was very happy with my day.

Derby round video

And pretty pony waiting for his class
46272975762_2d79f8bcf1_b.jpg

Shortly after that was the TREC Ireland National Championships, where we went out at 2A individuals. Since 2014 (when I was competing on a friend's pony), I can count the number of PORs we've done on one hand, and at most, one was an individual competition, so I was anticipating a lot of jogging and shouting at/after checkpoints (he hacks out happily enough, but we never meet anyone so don't have to deal with leaving them). It was a one-day three-phase, so we headed down the night before, pony camped at another treccie's house and we camped at the venue. Up early to collect himself, then down for the MA and PTV. Full marks on the canter, scraped a few for walk, and threw away a few silly points in the PTV. Quick trot-up to check everyone was fit to go on the POR before lunch, then it was time to gear up and line up for the map room. The route was lovely, with some nice spots for cantering, a compulsory walk around a small lake in case there were any walkers, grids theory just outside a farm, bearings in long grass, finding tickets (learned my strides chart was completely wrong, when I reached the end of the first instruction and was about two thirds of the way down a track with no options other than the same bearing!), and finished up coming back to the venue along a stream! Very pleased with him, had a lovely chilled pony all the way around, and brought home second place.

In August we headed off to another local yard to compete in their ODE. Still not convinced I could jump coloured poles, I entered the 80cm class. Day started off miserable, with a lot of rain, which almost led to us pulling out, but the venue owner was great and had checked the fields and reported back with plenty of time. Dressage test was a bit tense, this time because he was convinced his yard buddies were going to leave him forever if he didn't (a) keep an eye on them at all times and (b) shout at them every so often, but not our worst score either, so happy enough. Rolled a pole in the SJ thanks to me taking my leg off and then going "fffff, please fix it pony". Down to the XC, where he stormed around, absolutely loving every second of it. Got loaded back up before the heavens opened, so huddled under the yard's gazebo while we waited for results. To my surprise, we had come second!

Trying to eat his rosette.
46272975292_0eab54bc55_b.jpg

Our yard runs a derby competition every August as a fundraiser for a local hospice, it's my favourite event of the year, the atmosphere is always great and the jumping is lots of fun. Jumped the pairs with a friend, then, as is standard for me, after entering the Open class, I then began to wind myself up, overthinking the cottage jump (I don't like them, I've fallen/nearly fallen on a few). Gave myself a good talking to, tacked up and warmed up. Knew with his short legs we'd possibly find it tricky to match the time of a couple of the bigger horses, so planned a few tight lines, messed one up, taking a pole with us. Another fun round of jumping though, and once again one very happy pony. Took home 4th in the pairs and 2nd in the open class.

(excuse the dodgy position)
31384256547_9a301033a9_b.jpg46272978472_ae2685f60f_b.jpg

September rolled around, with plans for an ODE in our yard, and time for another saddle check. Saddle check revealed that we could no longer adjust the saddle to suit his ever-changing frame, so it was time to change. Saddler didn't have anything to suit, so took mine away to value it for trade-in and arranged to come back a few days later with some options. Had a couple of days of "eh, human you forgot your saddle" riding, then we got sorted with our lovely new saddle.
Yard ODE was great fun, after having such a good time at the SJ champs, I decided to pull out my brave pants and do the 90cm class (again, in the days leading up to it had the "whhhyyy? why do I do this to myself?"). Warm up for dressage on a fairly freshly clipped pony was fun, with the slightest breeze causing a bum tuck and scoot. Dressage went well, apart from a little hoppity skip between C and M right before heading down the long side to turn down the centre line (apparently holding it together for a full test would have been boring, after all there was jumping going on nearby...), but overall marks were good. In to the SJ, which he pinged around, clear, and I actually enjoyed myself! Then on to the XC, our favourite phase, which he popped around clear too. Very happy to finish on our dressage score, and even happier to discover we had come first!

"Take the damn photo and give me my dinner"
45410688485_53a913e1c5_b.jpg

The end of September was the TREC Ireland PTV/MA Championships. We've missed this the last couple of years, once due to me being out of the saddle, and last year's was a decent drive away, which we don't generally do for one-day events, as with his dust alleriges I prefer for him to have an overnight out with his head down grazing before he does any work. This year was a little over an hour away, so I entered for the PTV, MA, Speed and D-TREC. MA and Open PTV were interesting, D-TREC and Speed TREC went really well. Delighted to come third in the Open Speed TREC and first in the Open D-TREC. Finished off our TREC season with a POR competition in October.

Last jumping competition of the year was our yard's Halloween show, where I jumped the 90cm without feeling like I was going to throw up!

We did plenty of other fun stuff, schooling with friends, hacking, and the all-important annual holiday to Wexford.
Bob hasn't been to a sandy beach since he was 6 (now 17), so when it was suggested, I jumped at the opportunity to go to Curracloe. Wasn't sure how he'd be, as he was fairly freshly clipped again, meaning that wind would potentially mean I had a kite rather than a pony. He was mostly a gent, though did rely on his 12hh buddy to save him from the scary waves!

Splashing in the river on a hack with friends

Looking for Private Ryan

44506675910_916820f061_b.jpg

Next year's non-plans include affiliating with Dressage Ireland, riding club SJ and eventing, and maybe a bit of TREC abroad as well as at home (though abroad won't be with Bob). And hopefully some fun outings with friends.

zaminda

Visit site
Its been an odd year for me. My wonderful little mare has done very little, as she isn't entirely right, but she still loves pottering around.
Maisy has as ever failed to do anything like approaching a full season, starting with putting a giant hole in her face. She managed to do quite a lot of damage which took a while to sort out!
We managed to get to 4 rides, 1 short starting one of 40k, then 3x 80k rides, one of which was a graded ride, so only heartrate and speed count, and 2 race rides, the second being her first ever FEI ride.
She was amazing in many ways, although she completely lost it at the big ride, vetting out after the second loop, after nearly turning herself over and hitting a post straight out of the ground!
Her aim for next year is to start early, and do an FEI ride at the end of March somewhere which will be quieter than Euston Park! As she is older I try to give her plenty of time between but she also tends to get over fresh if given a break, and then she damages herself, so its a fine line. I would like to do the Golden Horse Shoe but only a 1 day 80k probably. With her I have to work quite hard to keep her on a level playing field, but its a fine line between having enough in the tank, and keeping her from boiling over so we are working on that, with maybe some riding club to get her working in company in a sweeter fashion!
Then we have the one I ended up with by default. The lovely Winnie. This year she has done some endurance, and my aim was to get her up to advanced this year and see how we got on, with some jumping on the side. Our plans didn't quite go to plan.
The actual riding is less of a problem at rides, as she is ok at competitions, but she is appalling with the vet. Heartrate is fine, but touching her mouth is a massive problem. We are working on it, and she is usually ok with me, but she knows vets, and she really hates them.
Due to this, I stuck to doing novice rides as they are more tolerant of her bad behaviour, and the vettings get more serious as you go up the grades.
Her riding out on her own is still a problem at home, she is fine away from home, but she can still be a bit difficult at home. My problem is I start out on a lane at home, so her rearing and running under trees is an issue if a car is coming! She has improved, and I lead her out to start and then hop on, and she is then ok. She leads beautifully in company but she just likes to nap like a witch which makes working her a bit difficult unless I have company!
A work in progress but getting there!
Her jumping has really come on this year, and although I haven't had her out as much as I would like, she always gives it a shot. We aren't allowed to jump in the school at the yard so I don't jump as often as I would like, but it actually doesn't seem to have done her any harm. I am hoping to get her out doing BS at some point, as her XC still is very sticky.
Dressage has never been her thing, but it is actually coming along now to the point she will soften much better than she ever has. I think she has always been quite weak before, even though she didn't look it, and the hacking has strengthened her up. It amazes me how people often put things sown to naughtiness when it is often a mixture of them being sour and weak.
Next year I'm hoping to go in from where we have got to, and do some longer rides plus more jumping. She will always be a work in progress.
Then we have my lovely little New forest Tamba, who is only 13h.
He was bought as a project, but he isn't going anywhere. Due to lack of time, and then the ground going like rock, I didn't jump him until the end of the summer. He is a little sweet heart, and not having jumped in months, he went to a fun ride one week, then went to West wilts, and was 9th in the 80cm hunter trial, which I was thrilled to bits with. He had a busy few weeks out and about and was 2nd at another hunter trial, this time at Larkhill.
I love this little pony to bits, he is such a dude, and has so much to give.
Next year I want to get him out and about more, including to some endurance. He did one ride this year, and got a grade one, although he seems to look for jumps, so I am not sure how far he will go, as he wants to do other things.
I am hoping I will find someone to enjoy him with me, as I don't want him going anywhere as I do think he has had a hard time at some point, and he can occasionally be a little hard to stop!
Next year is going to be a fun year I hope, but there is lots to work on!

teapot

Visit site
2018 - passed my Stage 2 (which considering how little I ride and jump compared to a lot of people is remarkable) and 2019 aim is to do my Stage 3! Also realised I'm getting to the stage of needing my own horse so may consider that a 2019 aim too...

On a side note, I'm super proud of just how popular my evening competitions at work have become, the highlight being 19 doing a prelim test a few months ago. So much hard work has gone into them so it's something I'm proud of!

DirectorFury

Visit site
After several years of overly ambitious plans that have failed I'm lowering my sights this year! 2018 was a disaster for me due to multiple medical issues (inc. a very scary time where they were investigating something terrifying) - we've now finally figured out what it was. A life lesson: when you fall 12-16ft off a horse at speed go to A&E! On the plus side I'm now the strongest and most flexible I've ever been and in a hell of a lot less pain due to an amazing physio and me bullying myself into doing 1hr30 yoga every day ;).
Maddie was ridden less than 20 times in 2018 and I'm pretty sure I fell off over half those times so the only way we can go from here is up really!

Loose plans for 2019:
- Get Mad fit/bring back into work
- Flatwork lessons
- Find a DR legal bit she's happy in
- I would like to jump a single fence (I did say low goals!)
- Hack from our yard to Llangennith in summer
- Find a dressage saddle that a) I like and b) fits her (this is ~maybe~ a bit ambitious...)

Ideally I'd like to send her away to a pro when she's fit enough to start jumping again but who knows if that'll happen.

On a personal note my PhD submission date is the end of Sept 2019 and I would really really like to submit on time. If I can manage this and get 3 papers published the year will be a resounding success!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I was sure I wrote a recap last year, but I can't for the life of me find it now...blooming new forum!

Anywho...this year has mainly been ups for us (thank god after the crushing lows of last year!), including realising two childhood dreams in the form of our very own horsebox and our first weanling Dante who arrived just over a month ago :D

Highlights have included...

* finally cracking the canter(!)
* attending clinics with Herwig Radnetter and Conrad Schumacher which were both such amazing experiences
* taking M out on the horsebox solo for the first time so we could go hacking with a friend
* getting 72.4% in our very first comp together (Novice 24) :eek:
* coming 2nd in our very first Elementary with 65%
* getting to grips with half pass and tempi changes
* and how could I not mention my first foal arriving....and teaching him to wear a rug, have his hooves washed and just watching him be a complete and utter super dude :cool:

As for 2019, I'm hoping to affiliate with M in the spring and would love to do our first Medium test next summer, but honestly I'd be just as happy as long as both my boys stay healthy and sound.

2uelf9s.jpg

blitznbobs

Visit site
Been a bad year horse wise I lost my girl after almost a year of being varying my lame - and sound -then lame again I therefore failed to achieve any goals... little cob has been going amazingly at home and my instructor has been nagging me to compete - which I suddenly realised earlier this year that I don’t really enjoy it any more but I’m going to have another go next year. In the last 2 weeks ‘Henry the mud monster’ arrived, he has literally dug a wallow hole in the middle of his field ... I knew I shouldn’t have bought a grey... but I’m planning to do some jumping with him (everyone who knows me thinks I’m a lot braver than I am so we shall see how that goes but what I do know is this horse can jump so it’s all my fault if we don’t go over them) brave pants are out of the closet along with my back protector and air jacket! We’ll see if I do any of the above - vague goals but after the year I’ve had I like to keep them vague