2020 breeding plans

Mazerati

Visit site
I know its a little late In the year, but what has everyone put their mares to this year?

I have put Berrywood my own mare in foal this year to Sandros Sun, lucky she took first time and is now out In the fields with her friends after the heartbeat scan. Fingers crossed the next few months go smoothly!

berry field .jpg This is berry enjoying her new field

berry scope 2.jpg
This is berry in her jumping days, she jumped 56 double clears on the trot! She has also produced a 1.40 horse

sunny p13.jpg
and this is dad!

Misty 2020

Visit site
I wanted to but with the virus causing lockdown and didn’t end up doing it. I have decided to wait to next year . You mare is lovely I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: tda

TheMule

Visit site
Congratulations!
I have given up with mine, she has had 3 goes with the stallion, they have been difficult to deal with, the semen has arrived twice with no health papers and I just can’t deal with the stress of it all anymore. She is 19 so it was always going to be a bit of a struggle. Luckily I have a really nice 3yr old from her.

Asha

Visit site
Congratulations, lovely mare you have there.

Weve finally had a success after a bad couple of years. Put my homebred mare in foal to Avanti Amorous Archie. She caught first time. We looked at covering her last year, but she was dirty, so she was caslicked and left. We only decided to give it another go as we took her mum to the vets ( who we covered last year, but scanned NIF) for a check as she was looking rather round on the hope the vets had missed something, they confirmed she was just fat. So as Aria was there, we got her checked, and the caslick had done its job and she had cleaned up lovely over winter. It all went smoothly, apart from her waiting until the weekend to ovulate.

Photos of Aria as a foal and grown up . Hoping for another chestnut filly to match her and her mum ?

Attachments

• 456CA2BE-CA44-4EBA-8718-D28DBCE84BB6.jpeg
    456CA2BE-CA44-4EBA-8718-D28DBCE84BB6.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 13
  • F961EF67-254E-4F77-A6B8-4823C358C7B2.jpeg
    F961EF67-254E-4F77-A6B8-4823C358C7B2.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 13

Mazerati

Visit site
Congratulations!
I have given up with mine, she has had 3 goes with the stallion, they have been difficult to deal with, the semen has arrived twice with no health papers and I just can’t deal with the stress of it all anymore. She is 19 so it was always going to be a bit of a struggle. Luckily I have a really nice 3yr old from her.

oh no what a shame! We had some arrive with no health papers to us the other day! Luckily I own the stallion I have used this year so makes it a little easier for me

Mazerati

Visit site

Weve finally had a success after a bad couple of years. Put my homebred mare in foal to Avanti Amorous Archie. She caught first time. We looked at covering her last year, but she was dirty, so she was caslicked and left. We only decided to give it another go as we took her mum to the vets ( who we covered last year, but scanned NIF) for a check as she was looking rather round on the hope the vets had missed something, they confirmed she was just fat. So as Aria was there, we got her checked, and the caslick had done its job and she had cleaned up lovely over winter. It all went smoothly, apart from her waiting until the weekend to ovulate.

Photos of Aria as a foal and grown up . Hoping for another chestnut filly to match her and her mum ?

well done! breeding is so frustrating and requires a lot of waiting with fingers crossed. Im in the wrong job as I'm not very good at waiting ! :p Must be lovely to breed from one you have bred yourself!

TheMule

Visit site
oh no what a shame! We had some arrive with no health papers to us the other day! Luckily I own the stallion I have used this year so makes it a little easier for me

It is so expensive just getting the mare to the point of insemination and then for it to turn up with nothing..... My vet was so cross, it's just such a waste of time. And this is a well used stallion standing in the EU?!!

Mazerati

Visit site
It is so expensive just getting the mare to the point of insemination and then for it to turn up with nothing..... My vet was so cross, it's just such a waste of time. And this is a well used stallion standing in the EU?!!

I wonder if it was the same stallion or stud! This one was in Germany....

4faults

Visit site
I have my Bellisimo M mare confirmed in foal to Glamourdale and my Mermus R mare is about to be inseminated with Escape Z. I too have had issues with missing health papers this year

Mazerati

Visit site
I have my Bellisimo M mare confirmed in foal to Glamourdale and my Mermus R mare is about to be inseminated with Escape Z. I too have had issues with missing health papers this year

escape is lovely. I tried him on two mares a few years ago but sadly neither took. Ive met him in person a number of times and he's a lovely person :cool:

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Guaranteed a nice foal from Archie. I would go back to him if I wasn't so old.

TheMule

Visit site

My missing papers were from one you have mentioned!

TheMule

Visit site
escape is lovely. I tried him on two mares a few years ago but sadly neither took. Ive met him in person a number of times and he's a lovely person :cool:

My 3 yr old by him is just the loveliest person, I adore him. I am actively looking for a filly by him to invest in for the future

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I didn't dare post on last years thread really as I was so afraid of jinxing myself :p we might have another go next year, or perhaps the year after. I will be looking forward to all your babies in the meantime :D

Asha

Visit site
well done! breeding is so frustrating and requires a lot of waiting with fingers crossed. Im in the wrong job as I'm not very good at waiting ! :p Must be lovely to breed from one you have bred yourself!

Nor me , feels like I’ve waited forever for this to happen ! I just hope by putting the Irish draught back in I get my first homebred that I can ride ???

Asha

Visit site
Guaranteed a nice foal from Archie. I would go back to him if I wasn't so old.

My Grey ID mare is by Archie , I was considering putting her in foal as well . Just having a bit too much fu on her at the minute . But will definitely do it one day . It’s just hard finding the right out cross stallion for her.

ihatework

Visit site
Lockdown has given me time to plan, always dangerous!!
I’ve been quietly looking out for a well bred filly with future breeding plans in mind. Got my eye on one, but having to be patient which isn’t my strongest asset!
Hasn’t stopped me fantasy stallion shopping for her though ?

millikins

Visit site
We've put daughter's Dales mare in foal, scan confirmed last Saturday :) It was something we were going to do at some point then daughter broke her collar bone (badly) so seemed good timing. We also hope it might settle her overactive hormones down a bit. Everything crossed, it will be our first foal.

Abi90

Visit site
I’ve been having no luck. Decided to put my mare in foal after discovering she had a latent injury from when she was a youngster that may or may not affect her ridden career. She’s a nice enough stamp although has her faults but has a temperament and attitude to work to die for as well as having a tidy jump, so have put her to Challenge a Grade A KWPN showjumper. I looked at Sandros Sun as well.

We’re just about to start the third cycle. She’s not taken on the last two despite no obvious issues and Everything being perfect. She’s getting the TLC of an old mare rather than a healthy 7 yr old.

My mare:

E04EAEB7-B15F-4702-92B1-C488B912852C.jpegF4A2ACA3-A15C-45D9-90CE-C7F572D1729B.jpeg805210DA-5ABC-462E-BC25-4FFDC1BB5FE5.jpeg

And this is the hopeful dad!

268F5170-6E34-4508-9F77-6F4F6D635611.jpegE7479CD8-6D40-4F8E-B704-FF360B86240B.jpeg

Abi90

Visit site
I didn't dare post on last years thread really as I was so afraid of jinxing myself :p we might have another go next year, or perhaps the year after. I will be looking forward to all your babies in the meantime :D

I thought this about this year but then it appears that I am jinxed before I’ve even done that! :(

Mazerati

Visit site
I’ve been having no luck. Decided to put my mare in foal after discovering she had a latent injury from when she was a youngster that may or may not affect her ridden career. She’s a nice enough stamp although has her faults but has a temperament and attitude to work to die for as well as having a tidy jump, so have put her to Challenge a Grade A KWPN showjumper. I looked at Sandros Sun as well.

We’re just about to start the third cycle. She’s not taken on the last two despite no obvious issues and Everything being perfect. She’s getting the TLC of an old mare rather than a healthy 7 yr old.

My mare:

View attachment 51429View attachment 51430View attachment 51432

And this is the hopeful dad!

View attachment 51433View attachment 51434

I know challenge, he stands at the same stud as I take sunny to! he's a lovely horse, great choice!

Abi90

Visit site
I know challenge, he stands at the same stud as I take sunny to! he's a lovely horse, great choice!

Oh I’ve just worked out who you are!

Yes, it will be wonderful if we can get her in foal. No reason for it, just sheer bad luck so far!

tda

Visit site
We've put daughter's Dales mare in foal, scan confirmed last Saturday :) It was something we were going to do at some point then daughter broke her collar bone (badly) so seemed good timing. We also hope it might settle her overactive hormones down a bit. Everything crossed, it will be our first foal.
Who have you used ?

Our two girls have both been covered and not been scanned yet but not looking like either has come back into season (they run out/live with the stallion) so quietly hopeful

Horses_Rule

Visit site
Well I had plans to bred my girl who has been my horse of a lifetime. She is an older mare but thought it’s now or never. She’s had 2 attempts fresh AI no joy, 3rd attempt I said to give her all the bells and whistles for her last try and I’ve gone up to her tonight and she looks and smells in season, she’s one of the trampy ones that reeks when she’s in season ? so I’m 95% she hasn’t taken , I’ll get her scanned Monday as arranged to double check but it seems that dream is over! A few people have said to put her with a stallion and let her run with him but what’s the point in that when you spend so long looking for the right match. Ah well least I tried!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Not the same, but it's scary to hear how often it happens!

There was a series of articles in what I think is the biggest Swedish horse news paper earlier this year about problems, costs, and some other aspects of breeding by using imported sperm in Sweden.
In some cases where sperm had failed to turn up in time for the first attempts, breeders ended up travelling themselves to either pick up straw/straws with sperm at the boarder, or sometimes at the stallion station in for example Denmark, to make sure that the insemination station really got the sperm when their mare came in season again.

Some Swedish insemination stations have actually stopped participating in the breeding of Warmblood horses, because they felt it was too much trouble with straws not turning up in time, too few straws sent, and/or too poor quality of the sperm so that they felt they didn't have a fair chance of getting the mares in foal.

The staff on at least one of the bigger Swedish insemination stations felt it was a big difference between breeding Warmblood horses, and breeding Standardbred horses (trotting, we don't have races for pacers in Sweden). The owners of Standardbred stallions usually only gets paid a small sum for the booking, and then they get paid a live foal fee. The staff felt that this made Standardbred stallion owners much more careful about making sure the sperm arrived in time, that they sent enough straws, and that the quality of the sperm is good enough to make sure there is a good chance the mares will get in foal. After all, no foal means the Standardbred stallion owners loses the majority of their fees.

One owner of a Warmblood mare who was the inspiration to the whole article series, lost big sums of money in her attempts at using imported sperm, and after several fails, changed to a Swedish stallion instead. That worked, and her mare got in foal. She said she won't try to use imported sperm again.

millikins

Visit site
Who have you used ?

Our two girls have both been covered and not been scanned yet but not looking like either has come back into season (they run out/live with the stallion) so quietly hopeful

He is Westwick Charlie, our mare is Burnaby Gem. Good luck with your mares. :)