2020 Grand National - Cancelled

Visit site
Booo! Hiss!!!!!!! Not fair! I can understand why but with plenty of other racing going on behind closed doors why couldn't they have done the same here!?!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I thought the bookies would pay to keep it on behind closed doors. What a shame for everyone who spends a year preparing a horse for that one race.

hobo

Visit site
I am guessing the difference now is BJ has stopped emergence services supporting mass gatherings. Though I would have thought that the races ect pay for their own doctors ect but it is very sad that that any many more events are being cancelled.

Visit site
I thought they would either postpone for a week or two to try and allow public or run behind closed doors because it is one of the biggest betting races of the year!

Racing pays for it's own medics, security etc. And if you ran behind closed doors you would only need the police for the animal rights activists that would still be outside the gates. Internally you would only need the medics that go round in the cars behind the jockeys, if stable staff or owners need them there is always one based next to the weighing room. You would need no security nor police inside the track as there would be no one there.

It is absolutely gutting! Arthur looks absolutely amazing right now and almoat everything has gone right this year. Tiger Roll wont get the chance to equal Red Rums 3 wins. Along with the 40 other horses that have been training for this aim all season!

#$%#&$&*$^#^&$&#^$*!!!!!!!!!!

hobo

Visit site
Totally with you on this Elf. Also think of the people training for 4 plus years for the Olympics as this is also looking at risk. They have been cancelling all the qualifiers so people on the edge of being chosen are going to miss out.

And I still do not understand WHY as numbers of corona virus are so low compared to the size of the population. Sad times.

twiggy2

Visit site
The risk still exists between stables, trainers etc, the medical staff and security could be used elsewhere for the benefit of the population as a whole and the police dealing with activists could also be elsewhere helping save lives rather than dealing with people just generally been a pain in the arse at such a difficult time.
I can't pretend to like the grand national but do recognise how frustrating it must be with all the time, work, effort, energy and money gone into getting things just so for the horse to be able to take part on the day let alone have a chance of being placed.
There are far more pressing things to be dealing with just around the corner though.

Visit site
Ok but what will they be doing otherwise? No offense but everyone is being told to stay at home, if you feel ill ring 111 dont go to the docs or A&E. The rioting hasn't started yet. People haven't started murdering their partners yet.

If we stop anything that could land you in hospital then we need to stop driving, running, riding, swimming, judo - the list is endless! Unless we literally put ourselves in a huge bubble we can't just stop doing everything.

twiggy2

Visit site
Ok but what will they be doing otherwise? No offense but everyone is being told to stay at home, if you feel ill ring 111 dont go to the docs or A&E. The rioting hasn't started yet. People haven't started murdering their partners yet.

If we stop anything that could land you in hospital then we need to stop driving, running, riding, swimming, judo - the list is endless! Unless we literally put ourselves in a huge bubble we can't just stop doing everything.
I don't need security, medics and police to be on sight whenever I go for a walk and I am sure others don't when they go for a run etc.
I have advised my mum against swimming due to the infection risk in the changing rooms.

Leo Walker

Visit site

Its not just about what lands you in hopsital, although you do need to try and avoid that, its anything that takes medics away from hospitals. Thats why everything is now stopped.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
...which is precisely what Spain has done: they are banning recreational and sporting cycling, running, riding, etc. and anyone who insists on continuing will not be covered by insurance for these activities. This situation is SERIOUS folks, you haven't even begun to grasp what is coming down the line.

Visit site
All racing is now off until the end of April at the earliest.

It's the economic impact that it is going to have that will cause more deaths than the virus. People will be laid off and wont be able to find other work because everyone is looking for a job and many places, like Odeon cinemas etc are shutting shop completely.

twiggy2

Visit site

It's the economic impact that it is going to have that will cause more deaths than the virus. People will be laid off and wont be able to find other work because everyone is looking for a job and many places, like Odeon cinemas etc are shutting shop completely.
No-one said it will be easy but people will be needed elsewhere for the time being

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site

Really? So potentially 250,000+ people are going to die because they have to go on the dole?

ihatework

Visit site

It’s the economic impact (not just racing, in fact that is so low on the priority list right now!) that scares me the most.

Mule

Visit site
Really? So potentially 250,000+ people are going to die because they have to go on the dole?
Yes. Imperial College London found that the last global financial crisis caused 500,000 cancer deaths worldwide between 2008 and 2010. They found a correlation between each percentage increase in unemployment, and an uptick in cancer deaths.

Also, a 2014 Oxford University study found more than 10,000 Suicides Tied To Economic Crisis.

In Iceland babies had a lower birth weight and a study in England found that more women continued smoking during pregnancy.

There's also going to be deaths because of existing operations and health services being cancelled/ delayed due to the epidemic.

So, the health and societal effects are potentially far far worse than deaths from the virus (which are at least fairly quick).

Last edited:
Visit site

It's not as simple as going on the dole. Mortgages need paid, rent needs paid, food needs bought, people need to survive and I am not just talking about racing. Racing is a very, very small cog in the overall picture. But a lot of people will lose jobs, a lot of people will lose businesses, the big companies will take a hit but they can afford to. Your local restaurant or pub owner still has a family to feed. Not being able to do that has a massive effect on peoples mental health.

In terms of racing some smaller yards wont be able to come back from this. No racing means no income. Horses are turned away on basic livery rates which is 1/4 of what they are for a horse in full work. And with no racing for at least a month and a half most owners will want their horses turned away, no point in them being in work. We are starting our summer work early as 75% of our horses went from working today to being on holiday. Hopefully we will be able to race from May 1st onwards but we shall wait and see.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Didn't think of that, I'll bet there's a lot who don't have the ability to go on line, one of them being my brother who spends every afternoon in the bookies. I bet he isn't the only one.

Bet he'd work it out if the bookies were all shut. Or stop gambling. Or possibly find a dodgy underground betting ring. I don't know which he'd prefer ;)