2020 Grand National - Cancelled

bonny

Visit site
Brilliant, I am delighted its not going ahead - at least some of the horses will live another day!

I cant believe racing in any form is still being allowed. No different to other equestrian sport being held so IMO they should stop it right now too.
Actually the opposite is true and there are a lot of racehorses facing an uncertain future, racing isn’t going ahead in the UK, there is one meeting a day in Ireland which is up to them.

be positive

Visit site
Actually the opposite is true and there are a lot of racehorses facing an uncertain future, racing isn’t going ahead in the UK, there is one meeting a day in Ireland which is up to them.

With no racing, no, or very limited, rehoming, owners possibly losing businesses and jobs, a racehorse will be one luxury that keeps on costing money racing or no racing, I suspect a lot will be quickly and quietly disposed of, although at least they will not be put through the sales ring to take their chance, which can be a far worse fate than taking part in the GN.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Last edited:

LeneHorse

Visit site
I see red rum won the previous winners version of the Virtual national. Obviously a crowd pleaser but if this was reality would he really have won? I would have thought that the advances in nutrition, veterinary medicine farriery etc since the 1970s might have favoured a more recent horse. On the other hand the course was a lot stiffer back in those days. What do you all think?

Visit site
I see red rum won the previous winners version of the Virtual national. Obviously a crowd pleaser but if this was reality would he really have won? I would have thought that the advances in nutrition, veterinary medicine farriery etc since the 1970s might have favoured a more recent horse. On the other hand the course was a lot stiffer back in those days. What do you all think?

If you look back at the timings of previous Nationals the race is no quicker. Whatis different is the speed they go on each circuit. Back in Red Rums day they went slower on the first circuit - once they knew their horses could jump the fences the second circuit was much quicker. These days there is more of an even tempo throughout the whole race - after the 3rd or 4th fence when every One stopes charging down to the first and settles down.

So whilst Red Rum may have been a back marker in modern day Nationals he would have sauntered past them all once turned for home - kindof how One For Arthur won. Never heard a peep about him in the commentary, couldn't see him on the screen, only assuminghe was still in the race because he hadn't been mentioned as falling, unseating or pulling up. And then 3 out he starts to roll on, gets a mention 2 out and takes up the running!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Amberleigh House was like that too. I remember listening on the radio at work but had missed the start, so presumed he hadn't got that far. Think it was about the last fence when he got a mention. Always remember as had money on him!