2021 Foals .. what have you got cooking ?

Asha

Visit site
We need some good news / positive threads so thought id start a thread to follow any 2021 foals, be nice to share updates/photos etc

We have just the one due. My homebred Aria (who is out of my old ID Asha x Royaldik) is in foal to Avanti Amorous Archie, due date approx 24th April. Ive always wanted a foal from her,so decided to have a go last year as lockdown put paid to any decent outings. After the previous years attempts with 2 other mares,who both failed after 3 attempts i was delighted when she caught first time. Aria definitely didnt enjoy the early stages of pregnancy, and really wanted to kill the youngsters, but fortunately shes calmed down now. The rest of the grown ups in our little herd seem quite protective of her, letting her be brought in first, maybe they know ? Shes getting tired easily, and really enjoys her stable and her food ! We can now just start to see the early signs of foal moving .Exciting times.

First photo from November and other from last outing ?

Anyone else with a foal due ?

Attachments

• 4DAAF3FC-3D44-44AD-AA9C-591DB1D1B858.jpeg
    4DAAF3FC-3D44-44AD-AA9C-591DB1D1B858.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 60
  • C8022D02-5DF8-4526-B11C-1AF2685248CE.jpeg
    C8022D02-5DF8-4526-B11C-1AF2685248CE.jpeg
    685.4 KB · Views: 61

sallyf

Visit site
2 out of our own mares.
one by Dinken out of a 3rd generation homebred mares that evented successfully and whose 1st foal started Eventing last year.
pedigree will be Dinken x Groomsbridge May I x Tout Ensemble.
we also have an ET foal due out of our young event/showjump mare by Donthargos.
Mare 4th generation homebred and her dam is full sister to the other mare carrying the Dinken foal.
pedigree is Donthargos x Balou du Rouet x Groomsbridge May I.
lots of mares due in to foal and the first one due in Feb is by our new stallion Universal out of a showjumping mare so excited to see that arrive.

Asha

Visit site
How exciting Asha!

None due here, either myself of my friends (who I get most of my foal fixes from!), none of their mares were covered last year.

I am going to be daddy shopping though! Hopefully stallion events will go ahead. I have a very long list to whittle down.

Is this with one of your recent purchases ? i love stallion shopping, and have really missed the stallion parades. For this one though, there really only was one sire to use as im hoping to finally breed one for me. I loved stallion shopping for arias sire. Seeing them in the flesh is definitely the best thing. im not surprised you have a long list, as there are some fab eventing stallions out there. If i was to try to breed an eventer again id have Contendro and Cevin Z on my list. Excited to hear who you go with

Asha

Visit site
2 out of our own mares.
one by Dinken out of a 3rd generation homebred mares that evented successfully and whose 1st foal started Eventing last year.
pedigree will be Dinken x Groomsbridge May I x Tout Ensemble.
we also have an ET foal due out of our young event/showjump mare by Donthargos.
Mare 4th generation homebred and her dam is full sister to the other mare carrying the Dinken foal.
pedigree is Donthargos x Balou du Rouet x Groomsbridge May I.
lots of mares due in to foal and the first one due in Feb is by our new stallion Universal out of a showjumping mare so excited to see that arrive.

4th generation .. you must have a good idea of what your getting with that many years behind you ! ive just had a quick google of those sires, and they are stunning. be interesting to hear what they have added when the foals are on the ground. Good luck with the season, I look forward to some photos

ihatework

Visit site
Is this with one of your recent purchases ? i love stallion shopping, and have really missed the stallion parades. For this one though, there really only was one sire to use as im hoping to finally breed one for me. I loved stallion shopping for arias sire. Seeing them in the flesh is definitely the best thing. im not surprised you have a long list, as there are some fab eventing stallions out there. If i was to try to breed an eventer again id have Contendro and Cevin Z on my list. Excited to hear who you go with

One or both depending on how things pan out! Too many options, lead candidate is Contendro for the Zidante filly - unless Twemlows have anything interesting in that I can use sexed semen on. Cevin is lovely but I’m avoiding greys - I’ve done a bit of work with Cevin, but I’m keeping an eye on one of his relatives, Billy Tiberius who was annoyingly sold recently

shamrock2021

Visit site
Come on now..we need info ..
I hopefully plan to breed my mare because she has got a amazing temperament but she is also has talented. It something I have always wanted to do . I have to wait a few years because I will have to find a yard that will take a pregnant mare or I will have to buy land. I also want to wait until viruses is gone. So nothing is really set in stone we will have to see what the future brings. I very lucky that my mare is young so I still have time to wait.

Asha

Visit site
One or both depending on how things pan out! Too many options, lead candidate is Contendro for the Zidante filly - unless Twemlows have anything interesting in that I can use sexed semen on. Cevin is lovely but I’m avoiding greys - I’ve done a bit of work with Cevin, but I’m keeping an eye on one of his relatives, Billy Tiberius who was annoyingly sold recently

If you do take them up to twemlows , you should pop in for a coffee , we are only about 20mins from them . I’ve not heard of Billy Tiberius .. will have a quick google .

sallyf

Visit site
4th generation .. you must have a good idea of what your getting with that many years behind you ! ive just had a quick google of those sires, and they are stunning. be interesting to hear what they have added when the foals are on the ground. Good luck with the season, I look forward to some photos
Yes we have which helps.
they all go back to my original 2 competition mares so started the whole thing with tough , proven sound mares who competed into there teens before breeding.

Asha

Visit site
My ID mare all rounder is in foal to Challenge. Grade A KWPN Showjumper. Hoping for a good all rounder for me to compete. I’ve ordered a Bay filly to make 16hh so will probably get a greying colt that makes 17.2!

View attachment 62781View attachment 62782View attachment 62783View attachment 62784

You are guaranteed a stunner from that combination !, when is she due ?

I originally ordered a chestnut filly, but have filled out a change of order form and now want a chestnut colt.

Abi90

Visit site
You are guaranteed a stunner from that combination !, when is she due ?

I originally ordered a chestnut filly, but have filled out a change of order form and now want a chestnut colt.

Beginning of June. Unfortunately chestnut is not an option genetically... but black is?

I do hope you get a lovely chestnut colt with 4 white stockings and big blaze!

Asha

Visit site
Beginning of June. Unfortunately chestnut is not an option genetically... but black is?

I do hope you get a lovely chestnut colt with 4 white stockings and big blaze!

that would would be amazing. Aria and Asha both have 3 white socks and small white marking on the face. They are mirror image.. so would be fabulous if he/she arrived looking similar

I do love black horses.. especially with a little white star, hope you get a black beauty !

I’ve added some photos to show Asha and Aria so you can see what I mean about mirror image . The older Aria gets the more she looks like her mum ?

Attachments

• B06A6DBE-8E3E-4C19-BD45-6394DE13FA0F.jpeg
    B06A6DBE-8E3E-4C19-BD45-6394DE13FA0F.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 32
  • 87FDEF33-153C-4FE0-8CEB-9EEF004A8101.jpeg
    87FDEF33-153C-4FE0-8CEB-9EEF004A8101.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 35

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My vet has given me the go ahead to breed from Amber. He is normally a big embryo transfer fan as he really dislikes the idea of breeding from older, broken horses who can't compete anymore! But in her case he says her injury was sheer bad luck, there is no reason to think she will either struggle to carry a foal or pass any weaknesses onto one and she is still young enough too. I have my eye on Ansiei as the stallion. And I am on a yard with foaling boxes and a YO with plenty of experience home breeding as she used to breed her own show jumpers. But I might not. It's a very exciting idea but the reality of it is pretty scary too.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
The first time is the scariest, but once you get your head around it ,it can be addictive ! Adds a whole new level on collecting horses.

Take your time selecting a stallion, go and meet them. If possible meet some offspring too. ( preferably ones under saddle ) Especially if you are breeding for yourself.

ihatework

Visit site
Good advice Asha. I think for people trying to breed a nice amateurs horse for them self you need a stallion with sufficient stock on the ground that are now old enough to see what they are turning out like. What does the stallion reasonably consistently improve on the mare, how rideable are the offspring for normal riders?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The first time is the scariest, but once you get your head around it ,it can be addictive ! Adds a whole new level on collecting horses.

Take your time selecting a stallion, go and meet them. If possible meet some offspring too. ( preferably ones under saddle ) Especially if you are breeding for yourself.
haha! Having been through this once now I can totally see what you mean. i could get used to the idea of having loaaaaads of foals, it's an amazing thing. (eta, i'd struggle to part with them though, which will limit the numbers naturally ;) )
I met a few of the stallions's offspring which was good and am FB friends with someone who has some at competition age now. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice as the others, stud had a few at different ages from different types of mares and they all seemed very level headed and nicely put together. Stallion was a total gent too. I'd def want something similar if we do it again.

Asha

Visit site
haha! Having been through this once now I can totally see what you mean. i could get used to the idea of having loaaaaads of foals, it's an amazing thing. (eta, i'd struggle to part with them though, which will limit the numbers naturally ;) )
I met a few of the stallions's offspring which was good and am FB friends with someone who has some at competition age now. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice as the others, stud had a few at different ages from different types of mares and they all seemed very level headed and nicely put together. Stallion was a total gent too. I'd def want something similar if we do it again.

i havent been able to sell a homebred out of Asha, they become part of the family ! ive only got 6 stables so that (fortunately) limits my numbers or id definitely be a hoarder :D
The first stallion i used was a young one who was only just under saddle and didnt have any stock on the ground, so i was really very silly. Ended up wth harry, who although very beautiful with a magnificent jump, was too much for me. Lesson learnt.
Difference with you MP, you are a far better rider than me, so much more scope to ride true competition horses. Exciting to see who you choose next and your journey with Hera

Asha

Visit site
Good advice Asha. I think for people trying to breed a nice amateurs horse for them self you need a stallion with sufficient stock on the ground that are now old enough to see what they are turning out like. What does the stallion reasonably consistently improve on the mare, how rideable are the offspring for normal riders?

Thats the key isnt it, and something im guilty of over looking with my first.

Abi90

Visit site
Thats the key isnt it, and something im guilty of over looking with my first.

That’s why I chose the stallion I’ve used. He’s got plenty of offspring competing having been backed and produced by amateurs but with the scope to compete. I saw a 4 yr old of his, who had not long been backed, who really was anyone’s ride whilst being reasonably talented.

I mean, I could still have produced something I can’t ride, but I hope not!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I mean, I could still have produced something I can’t ride, but I hope not!
:p:eek:
it's a gamble isn't it! I def chose temperament over talent this time I think, I am absolutely gasping for something straightforward and NORMAL. My weanling has plenty of dressage horses in her breeding but tbh easy allrounder would be a good outcome. Be nice to just enjoy hacking again o_O

TheMule

Visit site
My vet has given me the go ahead to breed from Amber. He is normally a big embryo transfer fan as he really dislikes the idea of breeding from older, broken horses who can't compete anymore! But in her case he says her injury was sheer bad luck, there is no reason to think she will either struggle to carry a foal or pass any weaknesses onto one and she is still young enough too. I have my eye on Ansiei as the stallion. And I am on a yard with foaling boxes and a YO with plenty of experience home breeding as she used to breed her own show jumpers. But I might not. It's a very exciting idea but the reality of it is pretty scary too.

That is great news!
My best piece of advice is to pick the stallion that you want to get on and ride. I am so, so glad I did this as I loved riding his dam and I watch his sire jumping and just think that looks like the best fun. I know that the two together have a good chance of making a) something I CAN ride and b) something I WANT to ride!
I would choose something really well known for producing horses that go out there and do the job with amateurs or with a strong pedigree of that sort of horse.