2022 Foals

TheMule

Visit site
She clearly noticed you'd nested for her and felt ready.
Might just be she's a bit wet but I'll eat my hat if she doesn't grey out hyperpigmentation like that.

I think you’re probably right. Will be a shame, but she’s otherwise perfect

TheMule

Visit site
Her mother has finally let her try a bit of a run around. Poor mummy is still really sore with a nasty tear and very reluctant to wee which is causing a few issues but ?it settles down, she's on antibiotics and painkillers

839A0D47-B844-4BB8-83E3-D62306BF81E5.jpeg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Amber is on day 318 and HUUUUGE. Se is being uncharacteristically clingy to me. She has always been self contained, almost aloof. And does not have much time for humans though she quite likes me I think. Her expression has always been softer when she looks at me than the bitch face expressions she gives others anyway! But tonight she was sticking to me like glue and resting her head on my chest. Very un Amber-like. Hope she's ok. Not sure when to start night watches.... No milk or wax yet. But foal looks lower. And she is just huge.

She is in a large foaling box and has a very deep straw bed - the matting is just at the front as she likes to poo on mats. Very helpful of her!

288212230_5230581290355243_1102464715247433852_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Her back end does not feel squidgy and her tail still has muscle tone when I lifted it. But I am not rhat sure what I am looking at. I'll see if I can post another pic x

nagblagger

Visit site
I;m no expert, but the night before my bogof was born the mares muscles were squidgy and looked different, does her back end look different? I was keeping a close eye as we didn't know any dates etc.
Like i said it may be the angle and she is just resting her leg... but still exciting times.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I;m no expert, but the night before my bogof was born the mares muscles were squidgy and looked different, does her back end look different? I was keeping a close eye as we didn't know any dates etc.
Like i said it may be the angle and she is just resting her leg... but still exciting times.

I am also no expert (so take my opinion with a huge pinch of salt) but she doesn't look slacked off to me yet. So exciting though!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm getting so excited but utterly terrified too. She's not due for a while. Not sure what I'm going to do with myself for rthe next few weeks!

TheMule

Visit site
Milk and wax are not the be all and end all- I wouldn’t have watched my mare based on udder or pH but she was tail rubbing and then pacing in the evening so I though I'd stay over anyway and out she popped! They can be a law unto themselves!

This was her udder the day before, pH tested at 7.4 that evening
6C866E3B-CD32-4E2C-87AD-346EB1A3C219.jpeg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
What would trigger me watching then. She could in theory go for weeks yet. I can't live in my trailer up there for weeks on end. Vet said stay over 'when she looks ready' but that sems rather vague as an instruction. I was basing it in milk, wax and Ph

nagblagger

Visit site
3-4 weeks after my mare started to bag up, i started going up early before work. i 'familiarised. myself with what her back end looked like, i was lucky it was so obvious the night before as her back end did change and become soft and relaxed. She waited until i got there the next day.

Asha

Visit site
its really hard with maidens as they write their own rule book. But, id say the thing that has to happen is the back end slackening off.

So really watch our for her turning wobbly around each side of the tail head. It really goes wobbly like jelly. My mares all really start to rub their bums as well. That usually tells me we are pretty close. A bag that is full after exercise is a good indication too ( thats assuming she has one !)
I dont bother with milk strips, i know lots do. I just dont like messing with it.
From 320 days I tend to watch them on the camera a lot of an evening so i can see their routine, once they look more unsettled i tend to keep an even closer eye.

Can you set up a camera system so you dont have to camp out until the last minute ?

Hope that helps ! Proper exciting now AE