2022 Foals

TheMule

Visit site
I agree- jelly muscles are a good sign- mine did definitely get squishier the day before. They don’t all get restless but mine certainly did when normally she was settled, and I tried to resolve it by changing a couple of things and she still didn’t settle. Not all mares wax so definitely don’t wait for that.
A camera is a godsend- my little Reolink has definitely saved many sleepless nights (including after the foal is born as you do want to carry on keeping a close eye!)

Asha

Visit site
agreed, i have 3 reolinks now so can cover the next one from all angles :p:p i watched them a lot just for my own peace of mind (and a bit of enjoyment!)

Just watching the foals sleep is worth it. When they are all tucked in the straw. Its lovely. Ive got some lovely stills off them with mum and foal asleep.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Out of curiosity (and reasons), do most mares get restless and drip milk several days prior to foaling? Hermosa sure did. Or will some drop a foal with little warning?

Reactions: tda

tda

Visit site
Out of curiosity (and reasons), do most mares get restless and drip milk several days prior to foaling? Hermosa sure did. Or will some drop a foal with little warning?
I think I've only had one mare in the last 15 years who has ran milk, but I hear of plenty that do.
Not noticed too much restlessness either but my lot all live out so can walk or not, whatever they want, and they often foal early morning

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Get ready for the anxiety dreams! One memorable one I had waiting for Hera to make an appearance was about salty foaling in a bombed out street in Aleppo ?

Last night I dreamt she delivered a healthy black filly. It was all very calm and straightforward. I was gutted to wake up and realise it is still to come. I am just so anxious. She'd better hurry up or I'll be a basket case. I read some horses go 400 days! She is on 320 today x

Asha

Visit site
Last night I dreamt she delivered a healthy black filly. It was all very calm and straightforward. I was gutted to wake up and realise it is still to come. I am just so anxious. She'd better hurry up or I'll be a basket case. I read some horses go 400 days! She is on 320 today x

you’ve hit the perfect milestone now . Won’t be long . I’m sure I read somewhere that mares don’t carry as long when they have them this time of year . Could be wrong ! Mine have all been early in the year and made me wait ??

PurBee

Visit site

Just before my mare foaled, i dreamt she had a jet black foal, i was there at the time in the field watching the birth.
In reality, she foaled quickly in the field, without me being there, early hours, and the foal was/is grey! (born a bay colour)

ps - i dreamt that about a week before foaling. The only dream i had, and i was an anxious mess so expected more dreams!

Alibear

Visit site
Daisy's at day 320 which is great. She was moved up to the paddock next to the yard several weeks ago as last time she foaled a bit early but she's holding on nicely this time. I'm daring to start getting a little excited now. I really didn't want her to foal in Friday's heatwave so I'm pleased she avoided that as well. I'm quite happy for her to hold on to full term or over. She positively glowing and seems really well so fingers crossed.

Asha

Visit site
I have a foal by Emir R (mum is Empire x Quality Time) due at the end of July! Mare going to a local stud at the end of this week. This thread has made me very excited - will be my first foal so very nervous too

Daisy's at day 320 which is great. She was moved up to the paddock next to the yard several weeks ago as last time she foaled a bit early but she's holding on nicely this time. I'm daring to start getting a little excited now. I really didn't want her to foal in Friday's heatwave so I'm pleased she avoided that as well. I'm quite happy for her to hold on to full term or over. She positively glowing and seems really well so fingers crossed.

Hope all goes well for you both, and dont forget we need lots of photos :cool:;)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
What a palaver! Call yeserday at just gone 5 : "Ambers; waters have gone" - witnessed by 3 liveries who describe a suddden gush of fluid. Hot footed it up there. Nothing else happening. Rang out of hours vet and send video. He said probably an infection causing fluid to build up in the cervix. But to wtach her overmight. Up all night watching a peacefully sleeping horse! Vet came today - adamant waters haven’t gone. So her diagnosis - she was doing a wee!
1f602.png
1f602.png
And she’s not ready: not waxed up, not slackened off, cervix tight shut. So still a few days at least. The liveries swear blind it wasn’t a wee but I guess they were wrong. Phew