2022 Foals

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Absolutely typically Amber had her foal unseen sometime before 6:30 this morning. We thought all was well as he was on his feet then and looked like he was sucking. Afterbirth hadn’t passed so can’t have been too long. But by 9 I was worried he wasn’t drinking much - it looked like he was because he was under there and slurping but never really latching. Rang vet who reassured as that as long as he picked up through the morning he’d be fine. And maybe we needed to support him to stand and guide him. By doing that I realised he’s not latching on. He’s covered in milk because it’s just pouring over his head as he tries to find the teat. Rang same get whise being really casual about it and is due at 12 anyway so I have had a tantrum with the receptionist who put my through to my usual vet who is on his way. Wish us all luck. We have called him Aspire Felix Felicis. Stable name Felix. Aspire is my company name. and he needs some liquid luck. X

Squeak

Visit site
Oh how very exciting AE!! I hope that the vet is able to help and give you good news so that you're able to enjoy the foal.

Sending you loads of positive vibes and anxiously waiting for the update from the vet visit.

TheMule

Visit site
Absolutely typically Amber had her foal unseen sometime before 6:30 this morning. We thought all was well as he was on his feet then and looked like he was sucking. Afterbirth hadn’t passed so can’t have been too long. But by 9 I was worried he wasn’t drinking much - it looked like he was because he was under there and slurping but never really latching. Rang vet who reassured as that as long as he picked up through the morning he’d be fine. And maybe we needed to support him to stand and guide him. By doing that I realised he’s not latching on. He’s covered in milk because it’s just pouring over his head as he tries to find the teat. Rang same get whise being really casual about it and is due at 12 anyway so I have had a tantrum with the receptionist who put my through to my usual vet who is on his way. Wish us all luck. We have called him Aspire Felix Felicis. Stable name Felix. Aspire is my company name. and he needs some liquid luck. X

Oh goodness! So the waters probably had gone after all?! What a shame it was missed.
So long as he has the right instinct and a suckle reflex you will get him there, they only really worry about babies that aren’t looking/ trying to suck. Good luck with getting him in the right place, it can be immensely frustrating!

Asha

Visit site

Ahhh !! congratulations . What a clever girl Amber is .. hiding everything from you all ???. At least he’s looking for the milk and he’s up and about . Hope you get to see him latch on soon . The first few hours are usually the most stressful, so will keep everything crossed for you and wait impatiently for more photos and updates.
Welcome to the world Felix , he looks a little belter x

Clodagh

Visit site
I was chatting to a small breeder the other day and he said he much prefers fillies as they just get up and find the udder, colts are so dim. I hope Felix has got it sorted now.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
He's slowly figuring it out. Vet was 50/50 on tubing him and still might, but he is trying and as Mule said, that is very reassuring. He's a fesity little thing! Vet said boys can be a bit slow on the uptake!

He has very solid, chunky legs and a pronounced roman nose so he takes after dad. All our pretty boy names don't suit as he's going to be a solid handsome chap not a prancy pretty boy.

So we have calked him Felix. Means luck and he needs some! But I am much happier with him than I was a few hours ago. Amber is being just amazing. So gentle and patient.

289656172_5255123037901068_616582192981439718_n.jpg

289843782_5255122627901109_4646104618841031163_n.jpg

289825285_5255123077901064_2195968223643226334_n.jpg

Asha

Visit site
Amber looks very content, hes super. Just love how chunky he is.

Well, we have had stressful afternoon . I noticed Aria wasn’t herself . Kicking her tummy , not letting Rustle drink . She progressively got worse . Was really worried about colic or mastitis as her udder was enlarged and milk dripping . Vet came and turns out it was both, he’s not 100% sure which one came first , but as she’s a sensitive girl , we are thinking mastitis first and got herself upset and caused colic .
fortunately no impaction . So he’s given her some pain relief and some antibiotics. Rustle helped , as soon as she was doped her had a big drink , he couldn’t get near her before . Bless him, he just stood in the corner of the stable with a very worried expression.
She must have been in a fair bit of pain, as she was kicking out at the vet, and shes never done that before, shes such a gentle mare. So having to keep a close eye on her, have antibiotics & bute to give for a few days.
Its so frustrating, as vet thinks the mastitis would have been caused by flies. I am bringing them in during the day to keep out of the way of them, and yet here we are. Fingers crossed she improves

TheMule

Visit site
Amber looks very content, hes super. Just love how chunky he is.

Well, we have had stressful afternoon . I noticed Aria wasn’t herself . Kicking her tummy , not letting Rustle drink . She progressively got worse . Was really worried about colic or mastitis as her udder was enlarged and milk dripping . Vet came and turns out it was both, he’s not 100% sure which one came first , but as she’s a sensitive girl , we are thinking mastitis first and got herself upset and caused colic .
fortunately no impaction . So he’s given her some pain relief and some antibiotics. Rustle helped , as soon as she was doped her had a big drink , he couldn’t get near her before . Bless him, he just stood in the corner of the stable with a very worried expression.
She must have been in a fair bit of pain, as she was kicking out at the vet, and shes never done that before, shes such a gentle mare. So having to keep a close eye on her, have antibiotics & bute to give for a few days.
Its so frustrating, as vet thinks the mastitis would have been caused by flies. I am bringing them in during the day to keep out of the way of them, and yet here we are. Fingers crossed she improves

Oh goodness how worrying. You think once they're born the worry will stop but no, they can throw a million more things at you to cost you money and worry you endlessly ?

Asha

Visit site
Oh goodness how worrying. You think once they're born the worry will stop but no, they can throw a million more things at you to cost you money and worry you endlessly ?

it’s just the beginning isn’t it ! Getting them to 4yo sane ,alive and sound isn’t exactly easy ??
Fortunately Aria seems a lot more herself today . Her udder looks a lot smaller . Phew ?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
He's got wonky knees though. Stud vet consulting on whether we need to do anything about it. Always something to worry about!