2022 Foals

Asha

Visit site
The vet thought the same about Rustle , he was slightly tight behind ( contracted tendon ) A couple of days later he was fine . A lot of the time they do sort themselves out.
if not the farrier can help sort them out . Try not to worry too much . Easier said than done I know ?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Amber was cleansed today and Felix decided that was a good time to start lapping the box at high speed. Vet had arm in up to the shoulder, hanging on for dear life as Amber spun round and round to keep Felix in sight all the time as he lapped.He then stopped, sneezed and flopped. Out like a light. Made finishing Amber off much easier. Foals are so comical. Everything they do is cute/funny.

Made me wonder when we stop praising horses for things like doing a wee or a poo - "goooooood boy, whose a clever foal" - and start getting annoyed that their dressage scores are unreliable or they needed a second look at a fence "Jogged in the walk AGAIN, Grrr 20 pens at the water! So annoying!".

I guess it's the same for humans - we start by delighting our parents with every move we make and it's all downhill from there!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Mine was the wonkiest thing you ever saw. He was lovely after a week. I think it was limited turnout to start with.

yes that’s what stud vet is saying - restricted turnout. And other vet is saying no turn out till IGG results are back in case he needs a plasma transfusion. And Amber needs another flush out today. So much for my minimal foal- led handling then 24/7 turn out plans ? Reminds me of my no drugs, water-birth at home plan for my son. Cue emergency C section and a month in NICU!!

TheMule

Visit site
yes that’s what stud vet is saying - restricted turnout. And other vet is saying no turn out till IGG results are back in case he needs a plasma transfusion. And Amber needs another flush out today. So much for my minimal foal- led handling then 24/7 turn out plans ? Reminds me of my no drugs, water-birth at home plan for my son. Cue emergency C section and a month in NICU!!

Oh goodness, that’s a lot going on. I do really wonder why anyone breeds. And also why I get worked up when people complain about young stock being expensive!

Caol Ila

Visit site

I did the minimal handling in those first few days (on vet's advice because Hermosa was so young, not well handled herself, and we did not want to stress her out to the point of rejecting the foal), and I could not catch my horses for a month. Nothing is easy!

Asha

Visit site
How are they all doing? AE how’s Felix? Asha is Aria better?
TheMule how is sexy filly ‘22?
And anyone I haven’t mentioned!

Thanks for asking Clodagh . Aria is much better . Just one more day of the antibiotics. She’s out with her mum now as well so is moving around a bit more . Hoping that helps . But definitely back to her normal self

Attachments

• 42FDF95A-9D67-47DA-8B1B-1CB23B07A00F.jpeg
    42FDF95A-9D67-47DA-8B1B-1CB23B07A00F.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 43
  • ABF756F8-6AFE-4317-A943-87FCA750ABEA.jpeg
    ABF756F8-6AFE-4317-A943-87FCA750ABEA.jpeg
    557.5 KB · Views: 43

Clodagh

Visit site
Thanks for asking Clodagh . Aria is much better . Just one more day of the antibiotics. She’s out with her mum now as well so is moving around a bit more . Hoping that helps . But definitely back to her normal self
Good news. And it’s meant to be fun! ?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Felix is fine. IGG results were normal which is a relief. Amber seems fine too. The flushging was precautionary. Both my normal vet and the stud vet want Felix in for 2 weeks then reassess his wonky knees. He is full of beans and literally running rings round Amber so I can't wait to turn him out! But feel I need to follow the advice.

He is so cute.

290389416_5267229780023727_561839854793867577_n.jpg

Britestar

Visit site
Felix is fine. IGG results were normal which is a relief. Amber seems fine too. The flushging was precautionary. Both my normal vet and the stud vet want Felix in for 2 weeks then reassess his wonky knees. He is full of beans and literally running rings round Amber so I can't wait to turn him out! But feel I need to follow the advice.

He is so cute.

290389416_5267229780023727_561839854793867577_n.jpg
My now 14yr old was the wonkiest foal I've ever seen. Totally windswept, and so wonky he could under mum for 2 weeks!
His hocks were just shy of 90°.
He was kept in for 2 weeks and when turned out, had not hope of keeping up with mum.
By 6 months you could barely see it. By 1yr old no one would have known. Has never affected him his entire life.