2022 Foals

TheMule

Visit site
Just took a photo that I’ve been waiting so long to take . Amara and Rustle , full brother and sister . Grandma and Mum have let them be friends now .
I wouldn’t have let them get together this early but Amara is a gentle soul , and mum and grandma have already made it very clear what is acceptable. Just one of those proud breeder moments ?View attachment 96684

That’s a lovely picture to really treasure

TheMule

Visit site
Enya had the farrier for the first time today- quite a big ask as she has basically just been left feral for a few weeks so coming in and coping with it was quite a big ask but she was good once she realised she couldn’t fight her way out of it ??
I then put her in the arena for the first time as I need to decide whether to go to Futurity or not

8CB575EA-3139-4B1B-BB93-C99E588C6D64.jpeg
E180640D-0039-4BE6-B456-9DDEB86E9E4E.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Definitely take her . I reckon it’s the perfect first trip out for them . So relaxed for them . Plus she’s blooming lovely so should do well ?

I agree with you, my last homebred did really well there and it was a good outing for him. I'm worried about the mare though- she hasn’t done anything in life and is not the most rational of creatures when under stress. I'm hoping a crash course of handling for the next week will help me to decide- they need to be totally confident loading and unloading (our nearest venue is 1 1/2 hours away) and good for in-hand trotting before I press 'enter'
If not, we'll film for virtual futurity. But it's not quite the same!

TheMule

Visit site
She moves beautifully.

Thank you- I've never actaully seen her trot before and I'm pleasantly surprised. The mare was a last minute substitute for another I owned that wasn’t cycling and the stallion was a very, very last minute substitute when the mare wouldn’t stand for her chosen date but was ovulating there and then. It has worked out a whole lot better than I was anticipating!
This is a little clip
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

EventingMum

Visit site
Some really lovely foals here. I hope to be able to join in very soon, my mare, purchased in February and subsequently found to be in foal looks close to foaling, she's bagged up and her milk pH is 6.2. I've told the mare tonight would good as I have a hospital trip tomorrow so I'm hoping posting this tempts fate too!

TheMule

Visit site
Some really lovely foals here. I hope to be able to join in very soon, my mare, purchased in February and subsequently found to be in foal looks close to foaling, she's bagged up and her milk pH is 6.2. I've told the mare tonight would good as I have a hospital trip tomorrow so I'm hoping posting this tempts fate too!

Eeek sounds good for tonight- good luck!

EventingMum

Visit site
S6uLydom.jpg

Surely tonight? She had a very restless night so we kept a close eye on her via camera but nothing happened. According to my Fitbit my total sleep was 1hr 50 mins! She's now running milk and looks almost square. Milk pH has been 6.2 since Wednesday.

EventingMum

Visit site
Right. I’ll be round with the hot curry and gin later!!! ??‍♀️?

I'll take the gin! :p I'm finding this unplanned pregnancy much more stressful than the planned ones we have had in the past. Not knowing a covering date, not being the type I would choose to breed and not knowing much about the mare's breeding history is all contributing to it, with planned foalings I'm usually much more excited.

nagblagger

Visit site
[QUOTE="EventingMum, post:]I'll take the gin! :p I'm finding this unplanned pregnancy much more stressful than the planned ones we have had in the past. Not knowing a covering date, not being the type I would choose to breed and not knowing much about the mare's breeding history is all contributing to it, with planned foalings I'm usually much more excited.[/QUOTE]

OOh I think this is more exciting than planned....it will be a surprise, if planned you may be disappointed, at least this way a live foal is good, a 'quality' one is a bonus.
i had a bogof 2 yrs ago and was so excited, even my non horsey OH was interested !
Can't wait to see photos of yours - tell your mare to get on with it!

TheMule

Visit site
I'll take the gin! :p I'm finding this unplanned pregnancy much more stressful than the planned ones we have had in the past. Not knowing a covering date, not being the type I would choose to breed and not knowing much about the mare's breeding history is all contributing to it, with planned foalings I'm usually much more excited.

Do you have any inkling who daddy could be or what type it could be?
You could be really lucky and get a mule ?