22 year old - £200?? Market Drayton

thatsmygirl

Visit site
We might as well PTS any horse that's going to be sold than really reguardless off age. I agree with team barney who's to say he won't get a good home? Nobody can say that at all. Iv sold a 9 yr old saint off a horse to what I thought was a perfect perm home only to have a call from a rescue center 6 months on ( I always put my phone number in passport) and he was a right state but now in the rescues care. I got given a free 19 yr old who is blind in one eye and old tendon injuries but ideal for my daughter who wants the odd rides so he will live his days out with me. Nobody can say he won't get a good home it's no different than selling any horse on at any age, it's the home that's important. Good homes are out there iv seen a few oldies go into fab homes so these sort off threads really are pointless. Maybe I will start one about a 6yr old that's cheap there's plenty around my way and see the difference view than!!!! Again it's the home not the age off the horse that's important.

M_G

Visit site
Try a fb search for
Hancocks Horses, the photo is on their wall & I am not a friend so must be a public page..

Here is the ad text: Carol J Roper posted a photo to Hancocks Horses's Wall.
for sale 16.3 chestnut geilding 22 years old has lots more years left had done dressage and can jump would sute any 1 loveley boy will live in or out only for sale as we have 11 horses at the minute and just don't have time £200 ono. tack extra

charlie76

Visit site
I **think ** this horse was for sale in horse and hound not so long ago. I called up and offered him a home for life as a happy hacker in the school
We are used to managing older horses, our oldest residents lived To fifty two and were still fit and well when we put them down, we didn't want to risk putting them through another winter.
Anyway, I after speaking on the phone She asked me To send her some info and photos of where he would go and our other horses, which I did but she never got back to me.
I can't remember where he was but I don't think its where he is now - that looks like a dealer. Unless she was really a dealer. All Very sad and very strange. He Could have been happy with us.

Achinghips

Visit site
Oh dear. He doesn't look in very good nickat all does he? I've seen lots this age for sale, some for £800 who look in much better condition (usually cob type ponies) and seem to be going strong. Just because they're 20 something, doesn't mean they should be retired, surely, or does it?:confused:

LynnWalker

Visit site
Ive looked at the advert, I would say this person is either a friend of Hancocks and or a livery there. A couple of comments about cant believe you are selling him etc - poor lad. Its rife round here, people buying too many horses and selling them for peanuts - always the same excuse - havent got enough time / money/ grazing - so why buy them in the first place!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We might as well PTS any horse that's going to be sold than really reguardless off age.

It's very unlikely that he'll find a decent home at his age. It's more likely that someone will turn up and pay the £200 - flog the extras, and then the horse for meat.

£500 made just like that!

Poor lad.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Oh dear. He doesn't look in very good nickat all does he? I've seen lots this age for sale, some for £800 who look in much better condition (usually cob type ponies) and seem to be going strong. Just because they're 20 something, doesn't mean they should be retired, surely, or does it?:confused:

I think it very much depends on what they have done. Captain is 17 and a half and is basically retired,but he is an ex-pro CDE horse, who has worked hard the majority of his life. Fany, on the other hand is 16, very low mileage and will not be retiring for a good long time yet. So depends very much on the horse.
FDC

FairyLights

Visit site
The trouble is it cost money to PTS and disposal so some people would rather ship them off to goodness knows where and pocket a bit of money. Such is the price of life and loyalty. The times we live in are as bad as in Black Beauty.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
We might as well PTS any horse that's going to be sold than really reguardless off age. I agree with team barney who's to say he won't get a good home? Nobody can say that at all. Iv sold a 9 yr old saint off a horse to what I thought was a perfect perm home only to have a call from a rescue center 6 months on ( I always put my phone number in passport) and he was a right state but now in the rescues care. I got given a free 19 yr old who is blind in one eye and old tendon injuries but ideal for my daughter who wants the odd rides so he will live his days out with me. Nobody can say he won't get a good home it's no different than selling any horse on at any age, it's the home that's important. Good homes are out there iv seen a few oldies go into fab homes so these sort off threads really are pointless. Maybe I will start one about a 6yr old that's cheap there's plenty around my way and see the difference view than!!!! Again it's the home not the age off the horse that's important.

Ditto this.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
Horse is not that far from me however I am not in any position to take any more on at the moment. He does look older than 22. Looks in need of a good feed, but I am guessing that his condition may be due to his teeth? I would guess that if someone somewhere along the line was so keen to pass this horse on for peanuts then you can bet his teeth have probably not been done. Money and all that. Horse should be given away really, or else offer for £200 with the money going to a horse charity!
I am also of the belief that an older horse does not always have to be pts. Caring homes are out there for these older horses. It just takes good judgement from the person who is parting with the horse. Just because a horse is past its prime it should not mean a death sentence!
Two of mine are old. One on permanent loan which I've had for 5 years, was 15 when I got him and the other 2 years ago was given to me when 17. Both have problems, both are still ridden and even when the time comes for them that they cannot be ridden, they will still have a future so long as neither are crippled or in complete unmanageable pain in which case pts would then be the kind option!

Over2You

Visit site
Nope, nothing will work for me either. Can any of you who are able to see the photo, please download it, and re-post somewhere else. I don't agree with always having to have an older horse put down. I find it rather selfish of people who advocate this. Who on earth is to say that a veteran wouldn't find a good home? Plenty of people are looking for companions or light hacks, and a lot of older horses would be perfect for such tasks. Please don't put to sleep unless they are actually suffering.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Just type in Carol J Roper in Facebook - she is riding the horse in her sig pic. I followed a wall link of hers to a sales posting - it didn't look poor in that pic, shiny coated and older.

legaldancer

Visit site
That link worked!

He may be a bit older than 22 & could do with putting on a bit of condition, but he doesn't look on his last legs.

I couldn't sell him either & seem to have collected 3 oldies. His future is uncertain, it could go either way.

I thought it was the same horse in her profile pic, but that one doesn't have two whites behind.

Last edited:

ellis9905

Visit site
i have requested some more info, as id happily take on an oldie as companion to my pony and to hack out couple of times a week. just asked for more info regards health etc

Oliver12

Visit site
Well I'm just about to loan a 22 year old Highland pony as a companion to my 19 year old retired horse. The pony is still able to be hacked out lightly which will be nice for me to pootle around once or twice a week. But he'll still have a home when he's not able to be ridden. My 21 year old nutty Connemara pony is on loan to a friend in Wales where he's been for the last 10 years and is loved to bits. You can never predict circumstances changing but there are good homes out there. Hopefully this boy will find one.

SuperCoblet

Visit site
Maybe they have seen this page and realised she was doing the wrong thing selling it for so cheap for an unseen future so she upped the price? Still not enough to garuntee a future for him though :(

ellis9905

Visit site
im still waiting for the owner to get back to me. the origional ad stated £200 ono not inc tack, the newer ads state £450 no mention of wether tack included or not :confused: