22yo horse, would you?

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
Any horses I have loaned out have been insured by me and I pay the insurance but the loaner is liable for the excess or treatment to the value of the excess of the policy.

This meant I knew the horse was insured and also that if they needed minor treatment (I think the excess was £125) they got it. Worked well for me.

I also loaned a horse and the owner didn't insure it so I did, I felt it was more responsible that way and meant that I had the horses best interests at heart. I've always had iron clad contracts for both ways as only way these days to protect myself and make sure he horses are ok.

qwerty123

Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

My thoughts on any vet bills are that I of course would insure him for accident/injury but with regards to any long term or sudden illness... Well I personally wouldn't put a horse that age through major surgery...
I'm going to see him tomorrow anyway, so will have a chat about things then but thanks for the replies. Lots of food for thought.

SpringArising

Visit site
That way they can tell me what the issue is, ask what I think, I can say yes get vet or no try this :p. It is perfectly possible to come to agreement about these things and most things are communicatable about :p. Or say loaner says will pay £x amount towards any treatment.

Sounds like a pain in the backside to me. I wouldn't want to be asking for the owner's permission or thoughts each time the horse needed to see someone. Would get boring very quickly.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well our owner lived at the back of our field so it really was no biggie.

And seriously how many times does a normal horse need to see someone other than jabs?! In the last 12 months my 23 year old has had someone twice, once for foot abscess, once for a mites jab. We aren't talking about ringing someone on a weekly basis! But I also wouldn't be wading into any sort of long term treatment plans for stuff without the owners say so either, it's just polite.

Annagain

Visit site
I have 2 20 year olds and they both have the same attitude they did when I first knew them (5 and 9 respectively). The one is 20 going on 5 and the other was 5 going on 20 and had now caught up with his real age!

A doesn't jump anymore but hasn't since he was 12 (we pop the odd log when no one's watching!) and the reason isn't entirely physical. He's a bit special :p

M has had the odd little niggle over the last few years (one a year, always in May for some reason!) but they both go out and do what they've always done in terms of the level they're at (just riding club stuff, nothing major 3' has always been my max). I find I've lost my mojo for competing so we just do lots of clinics and lessons but that's me, not them.

qwerty123

Visit site
Well I went to see him. He's in great shape and was absolutely lovely! I've said I'd like him, just got to wait to see if his owner decided I'm suitable!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Depends on why such a perfect horse is being offered for loan at that age. I know of many who are still working well into their 20's and then I have a 23 year old that has been retired since the age of 7 so it really depends on the horse and the reasons he is being offered. No harm in looking at him and discussing details with the owner.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Brilliant!! I had a fab horse on loan - 25 year old eventer who had stopped doing 3 days but was perfectly capable of 1 day BE80s. At 25 he was still way too much horse for me and definitely taught me how to stay on!