29th Feb Leap-Weekend Plans

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Anyone proposing to anyone?

I am off to Southview to their Cat 1 show.

Hired the SJ arena at Somerford for a jumping lesson to prepare. Started to warm up before my RI got there then decided to pop the cross pole that was up. For some reason I took a tight line to it. Lottie was taken by surprise and slammed on the brakes, throwing her head in the air, and connecting smack into my face. Cue instant DIY lip filler vibes and a mouthful of blood. Lovely. My nose was streaming with a mixture of snot & blood as I trotted round trying to regroup. I became aware of 2 clear thoughts: 1) I hope my RI doesn’t show up so I can just go home and have a little cry, and 2) I hope no-one witnessing this utter sh!t-show recognises me!

At that point my RI appeared. Bugger I was going to have to jump stuff after all. To start with I was actively hampering Lottie, burying her into each fence on a backward stride, forcing her to clamber over. Argh. Gave myself a mental kick up the arse and rode more forward – and then kept getting left behind and socking her in the teeth, because I was not sure she would actually jump. I’d feel her lock on and travel, then that annoying voice of doubt would whisper, ‘she may stop’ and in that split second I hesitated. I gave myself another mental pep talk, was bollocked (in a nice way) by my RI, who told me my awesome horse was repeatedly rescuing me and the ‘bank of credit’ would soon run out if I didn’t get a bloody grip. I centred on my breathing and rhythm and tried again. This time I at least managed to not actually get in her way. But nor did I help, sitting there absolutely passively while she did all the work. I was yelling ‘look ahead, leg on’ in my mind, while my body flatly refused to obey.

Finally FINALLY re-discovered some form and began to actually ride her. The last round felt a million times better. Fences were a decent size, including a 1 stride double off a tightish turn with an oxer as the first element. Lottie hesitated, I rode forward with positivity, and she flew over. Hurrah. I can now go into Southview with THAT as my final round. And hope I start out on Saturday they way I finished that lesson. Definely NOT the way I started.

Nerves. Bah! But we got through them. Onwards!!

SEL

Visit site
I'm at a pole clinic on the Saturday - indoor arena thankfully - but its the first time out since the beginning of Jan with weather and lameness so I need neck strap, sticky jods and body protector. I'm not sure either of us are fit enough but one of us is being a total idiot at the moment so needs to have something to focus on. Poles are useful for that because he has to look where he's putting his feet so tends to remember how his legs work in walk and trot rather than throwing shapes.

We will be turning up looking like I've dragged him out of a bog though - which is pretty accurate - and there is often a photographer there unfortunately. I can't remember what 4 white stockings look like, I have no water pressure and this is a winter I'd rather forget.

I had planned to take the microcob to the gallops tomorrow to see if it perks her up but she's a fair weather pony and it looks miserable so I think we'll give that a miss. Our hacking is now horrendously muddy and feels more of an effort than actual fun.

Who thought an extra day in February was a good idea? Just one more day in the most miserable month of the year - and its still flipping raining.

@Ambers Echo I hope you escaped without a black eye or any other bruises!

dottylottie

Visit site
well done on a good recovery!

plans to go to the national equine show have been cancelled, but lily is off to her first show on sunday - no expectations, she’s no show pony, but i’d like her to see the atmosphere before we try any equitation classes🤣

i toyed with the idea of taking diva to one on saturday, got to the yard and looked at her and thought mhm maybe not, you can have a few more weeks yet🫣😂 she looks a blummin’ scruff at the minute!

millitiger

Visit site
I had a good jump lesson this week, I'm starting to feel more comfortable over bigger fences.
20240228181950304.jpeg

We have a dressage lesson tomorrow which I am really looking forward to as the last one was great so I hope we can build on it.

Sunday we are out at a BD show, doing our first Medium.
I feel quite unprepared as haven't ridden through the test and I usually like to practice and run through a few times.
However, I know we can do everything individually so just got to put it altogether. There will be bobbles and it won't be perfect but it will be more fun and challenging!

Have fun all x

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Hacking tomorrow, first time with this RS. I had my assessment lesson and enjoyed it so much I agreed to another lesson even though I'd intended for this to be a hacking RS. I've dropped the schoolmaster RS, mainly because I don't think they can/want to adapt to where I am with fatigue, and also not loving some of the stuff I'm seeing on their social media. Plus they don't do hacks and riding in three different places is probably a bit much!

I've decided I'm not going to worry about the pants weather forecast for tomorrow. Been doing constructive things instead like watching my favourite horsey vlogs for inspiration and my physio exercises. The improvement in my hips and knees last time was really good so hoping that shows again tomorrow. Really looking forward to it anyway; the countryside around there is fabulous and will enjoy that even in the rain. :)

Cloball

Visit site
Doing an all day mock exam Saturday somgoimg to try and school after work Friday and hack Sunday. Managed to squeeze in a lesson on Monday after my shopping expedition and she was very sweet but anticipating canter and rushing a bit. So we just worked on the fluidity and rhythm and using leg yield to improve the suppleness. I really enjoy my instructors attitude to my slightly quirky green pony she really gets her. I'm going to try a slightly different but to see if I can help her be a bit more confident in the contact just as she has a small mouth and quite a fleshy tongue as small natives tend too and I'm not sure her chunky lozenge loose ring is necessarily helping.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a really productive lesson today even though Henry was a bit spooky. He is feeling very hot at the moment and so spooky Henry is hard work. I used my abs a lot! Much of the same things we always have to work on: sit up, steadier contact, get him in front of my leg. He is so much stronger and really consolidating at the elementary work, which is really cool to feel. We looked at the turn on the haunches and I got a good feel of how to keep developing it.

We have our first comp on Sunday, two elem tests so it was good to get some eyes on us to have a tune up. Tomorrow I will ride and hopefully give him a bath and do parkrun. Might have to be up early to get it all done before gets too hot. I am very ready for summer to be done.

Hope everyone has a good one!

Bernster

Visit site
Snow?! Blimey.

Seems it’s going to be torrential rain today. Sigh. I’ve lost my riding mojo lately with the dark nights, rain, social things at the weekend and no major goal to aim for. However I have a whole weekend free for the horses this weekend yay. So I’ll potter (wade) about, hack out and just spend time with them. And think about another competition or event goal to work towards as those keep me motivated.

j1ffy

Visit site
I'm off to my dressage trainer's this afternoon for an overnight stay - assuming I can get out of the village as it currently only takes a night of rain for most of the roads to flood :(

Alibear

Visit site
Good luck to all of you. No plans but my decision to send Amber off for training for a month seems to be more sensible by the day! The weather is horrid again.

AppyLover1996

Visit site
After an unplanned week and a half off (poor Mum blue lighted into hospital!), my lad is in for a shock as we're riding both days! Usually only do one day at the weekend and split the rest of riding over the week, but he needs to be doing something as end of March we're showjumping/ dressage and showing within the space of 3 ish weeks......things could get interesting :oops:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I take back what I said about the weather 😏 Left home in hail, motorway was like driving inside a cloud, then arrived at RS to bitterly cold wind and then snow/sleet! Not exactly setting me up for a relaxing confidence giving hack, first time out with this RS and on a new horse. Instructor was really fab though and we had another person with us cycling, which helped as I did get quite nervous at points (brain started saying 'I want to get off!' because the horse had the audacity to walk faster on the way home) but we had good chats and I got helpful feedback for what to do. We arrived back to the yard to sun and big smiles, so although not the best conditions today I'm still adding this ride to the 'confidence bank' :)

j1ffy

Visit site
The best lesson (and probably best ride) to date on Chilli this evening! Some lovely canter work, there are glimpses of his future ability to really sit and collect, and confidence building trot work focused on engaging his hindquarters. I need to always think about keeping him off his shoulders and ‘up’, not too round so he can develop more self carriage. And I need to sit on my arse 😂

Fingers crossed for more good progress tomorrow.

millitiger

Visit site
I had an amazing lesson yesterday, really able to move forwards as I have been diligently doing my homework!
Still a ton to work on and tomorrow's outing with be work in progress, but I'm super happy with my boy.
And my half passes were good!!!!

Woke up to heavy rain which has turned to snow today, which is a bit upsetting though
Thank goodness we aren't eventing today!

SEL

Visit site
I'm at a pole clinic on the Saturday - indoor arena thankfully - but its the first time out since the beginning of Jan with weather and lameness so I need neck strap, sticky jods and body protector. I'm not sure either of us are fit enough but one of us is being a total idiot at the moment so needs to have something to focus on. Poles are useful for that because he has to look where he's putting his feet so tends to remember how his legs work in walk and trot rather than throwing shapes.

So that went totally as expected. Snorting dragon from the moment I got on with ridiculous plunging spooking nonsense. A few explosions that had me swearing and apologising and a photographer who probably thought she deserved danger money.

I do find it entertaining that every other horse at the clinic completely ignored him. Its exactly the same approach my mares at home take when he's being a PITA - pay him no attention and he'll soon shut up.

Called time early and we stood in the naughty corner by which point he was so shattered with his antics that he finally stood still.

Fortunately the lady who runs that clinic has seen him before with his halo intact otherwise it would have been even more embarrassing.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Super happy with Lottie!! 2 DCs at the Cat 1 show at Southview today. So that's 1 qualifying round for Aintree. Plus placed 2nd in the Senior British Novice First Rounds with a fast clear. Woop woop. Lottie is awesome and we are back on track! After last weeks car-crash lesson, it was very nice to feel like I can actually ride a bit. And not just get in her way while whimpering pathetically 🤣

IMG_3571.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Super happy with Lottie!! 2 DCs at the Cat 1 show at Southview today. So that's 1 qualifying round for Aintree. Plus placed 2nd in the Senior British Novice First Rounds with a fast clear. Woop woop. Lottie is awesome and we are back on track! After last weeks car-crash lesson, it was very nice to feel like I can actually ride a bit. And not just get in her way while whimpering pathetically 🤣

View attachment 134968
V well done, the (bad start) session before, obviously got you fired up!
You must be v chuffed x