3.5t for £10k - is it even possible?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I think I need a sense check from you lovely lot. Am I absolutely bonkers for thinking I can find a 3.5t horsebox suitable for carrying one 16hh WB for £10k?

I've only been dabbling with the idea for about a week and already it seems like an absolute minefield so any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly received! I'm not after something shiny and new, just a box that can reliably get us from A to B (and back again!). I'm not convinced by the van conversions as M is a great fan of doing giraffe impressions and I just don't think there'd be the space for him in one of those but other than that I'm not against having something older or higher mileage if it means it's within budget. OH is quite handy when it comes to cars, so I don't mind something that needs a bit of TLC either.

I suspect in reality I really need to save a bit more and up the budget, but I'm impatient and whilst I have a lovely trainer and friends who are all happy to cart us about I hate asking for favours all the time and feeling like a bit of a burden so really would like to get wheels of our own sooner rather than later.

J.M.S Horseboxes keep popping up in my searches (and seem within budget) but I'm assuming they're cutting corners along the way to be that much cheaper than everyone else?

SammyDingle

Visit site
I can highly recommend Equisport horseboxes. I had one built which came a little over your budget, but i do know they have one in at the moment which has been converted 10 months, in fantastic condition and is within your budget. Mine is so easy to drive, every horse has traveled brilliant and loaded themselves on, wish i had bought one years ago!

I can see they are not local to you, but may be worth a day trip

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I can highly recommend Equisport horseboxes. I had one built which came a little over your budget, but i do know they have one in at the moment which has been converted 10 months, in fantastic condition and is within your budget. Mine is so easy to drive, every horse has traveled brilliant and loaded themselves on, wish i had bought one years ago!

I can see they are not local to you, but may be worth a day trip

Thanks Sammy! I did look at them previously but it looks like they only do van conversions, which I'd ideally like to avoid as I'm just not sure they've got enough clearance for my boy.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Just get the handy OH to build you one. ;)

Haha you joke, we did contemplate that (him more so than me!) but looking at others who have gone that route it seemed it came in closer to the £20k mark, and if I'm going to spend that I may as well buy a ready made one.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Fwiw having had a 14.2 in a van if I had a 16hh I would err on the side of a box too. There's a few older racemasters knocking about too if you can find them and they are very decent if no frills boxes.

IMO at that price it is better to get something a little older and better made by a good company than newer and kit made.

I think polly at traveltwo sometimes gets boxes in that price range too

are you on the 3.5 facebook page?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Haha you joke, we did contemplate that (him more so than me!) but looking at others who have gone that route it seemed it came in closer to the £20k mark, and if I'm going to spend that I may as well buy a ready made one.
I built this for £8k including buying the base van

Mw6i5Le.jpg

z2dMPPw.jpg

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Fwiw having had a 14.2 in a van if I had a 16hh I would err on the side of a box too. There's a few older racemasters knocking about too if you can find them and they are very decent if no frills boxes.

IMO at that price it is better to get something a little older and better made by a good company than newer and kit made.

I think polly at traveltwo sometimes gets boxes in that price range too

are you on the 3.5 facebook page?

I've always really considered the van conversions as "pony boxes" and just think it might be a bit of a snug fit for a 16hh so I'd rather hold out for a proper box even if it does mean waiting a while longer. Just joined the 3.5 FB page so might try a wanted ad later and see how we get on.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Pick away. There is a three part thread on here somewhere detailing my build of it.

Amazing! Just found the threads and shared with OH who is now excited that I might be about to let him tinker with building a horsebox. Shame blooming photobucket have removed all the pics. Will fire over any questions we have once we've had a proper read of your threads.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
base van
QSylvfQ.jpg

Cut out for ramp, partition in
YFCS7cE.jpg

Rear replaced with glassonite and groom door installed
ADTlm5J.jpg

ramp installed and off for MOT
lnhK5X3.jpg

tack locker doors fitted
aSfKQbH.jpg

Horse area half finished
digNL61.jpg

Horse area fully finished
5QPVlK6.jpg

Ali finishing strips added, rubbed down and acid etch primed (for ali)
KmL5Niz.jpg

Whole lorry primed
VopeyTv.jpg

Happy horse with lots of room
iBJRbUH.jpg

Box is constructed with aluminium which keeps weight down
QorESar.jpg

All work done by me and no I'm not a coach builder, I work in IT

turnbuckle

Visit site
A fine job.

Another approach is to go for a modern take on the old stick sided box, keep ti simple and don't bother about the luton.

If you bond and rivnut you don't even need to be able to weld, ramps can be subbed out.

Just be aware that ali and steel need to be isolated or bi-metallic corrosion sets in....

PaddyMonty

Visit site
If you bond and rivnut you don't even need to be able to weld, ramps can be subbed out.
Where's the fun in that. :p I learn't to weld so I could replace the ramp on our 7.5t
Old ramp
Ygv3w48.jpg

new framwork
duSZmBt.jpg

Lorry when I bought it
KzAnQSv.jpg

and after I did the refub job
G4V7mye.jpg

Anything is possible if your skint but are determined enough.

supsup

Visit site
I bought my van conversion for £6000, and it was very high mileage already (actually, the chassis before the conversion was high mileage, not a lot of mileage as a horsebox). My friend's 15.2 mare has travelled in it a few times (just 4 miles to lesson) and it was a squeeze. I don't think I'd like a 16h horse in there.

One piece of advice I'd have is that if you go with an older model, do make sure to inspect the chassis for rust. I've been able to maintain the functional parts of the van quite well, but I'm afraid I'm nearing the end of its life anyway due to rust. It's such a shame because I've put considerable money into maintaining the engine etc., and now it might fail on structural stuff. It's needed welding the past two years to pass MOT. Not sure it'll pass again this year (due in two weeks).

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
A fine job.

Another approach is to go for a modern take on the old stick sided box, keep ti simple and don't bother about the luton.

Just be aware that ali and steel need to be isolated or bi-metallic corrosion sets in....

Fortunately my soon to be FiL is a dab hand at welding and I'm told can be hired for a reasonable supply of wine and a homecooked dinner.

Michen

Visit site
Mine was 6k bought without an MOT from a lovely HHOer. I had banked on having to spend a couple of grand getting it through its MOT but happily it sailed through though I had a full service and cam belt change so immediately spent £500. It’s done under 100k and is a race master, 1998 and an absolutely super lorry that’s also sailed through its second mot with me. I adore her!

That said they are hard to find- old second hand ones that is- so Ester and I did practically harrass poor ESWalker for it! :)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
She robbed me, robbed me blind :D actually I think I was the worst person to sell a lorry as I told Michen every little thing it had ever had done/been fixed on it and made her sign a very detailed disclaimer before taking it :D

That said the box with MOT would have been 8k and will last many years to come so they are out there. Look for an older good make such as as Racemaster rather than a 'new' build van type. Ask a lot of questions about what has and hasn't been done and be prepared to spend money every MOT (unless you are Mitchen who will get clear MOT's as I'd already fixed everything :D )

Good luck. Are you on the FB 3.5ton lorry for sale groups? If not join and be quick to respond to ads :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Agree with all the above. I have an old racemaster with less the 70k on the clock.. I'm out in it 2 or 3 times a week. I only paid 5k for mine because the paintwork is tatty and then about another thousand doing the cam belt, climb barrier etc.

Definitely worth chatting to Polly at traveltwo, she knew my box as had sold it to the previous owner. She tipped me off when it came on the market. She would likely have something in your budget.

Michen

Visit site
I did practically steal it!!! But I do treat her well :)

Has your shiney one arrived yet...

She robbed me, robbed me blind :D actually I think I was the worst person to sell a lorry as I told Michen every little thing it had ever had done/been fixed on it and made her sign a very detailed disclaimer before taking it :D

That said the box with MOT would have been 8k and will last many years to come so they are out there. Look for an older good make such as as Racemaster rather than a 'new' build van type. Ask a lot of questions about what has and hasn't been done and be prepared to spend money every MOT (unless you are Mitchen who will get clear MOT's as I'd already fixed everything :D )

Good luck. Are you on the FB 3.5ton lorry for sale groups? If not join and be quick to respond to ads :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ESW given what happened with your horse and then what boggle has tried to do to that box I think it should be worth the same back to racemaster as a demo for for how solid they are.

The thing with polly is that even if she doesn't have anything in I think she is often getting repeat customers so she knows what they already have is solid just older as they bought it from her in the first place, so while it might not be worth her having it back in to sell she knows people have them for sale.

Though it seems like you might be building one now anyway ;) :D

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I did practically steal it!!! But I do treat her well :)

Has your shiney one arrived yet...

You and I treated her like a princess, our ponies not so much :D

Yes def Ester Racemaster should be grateful to our pones for giving it a good test ;)

New one in build about.........now :D

OP if you do build your own have a good look round a few boxes if you can to see what you think you really want inside, thinks like tack lockers are great but take up room and if you want to sit in it can mean only space for one person :) Also if you aren't having a full wall or jump barrier please make sure backdoor can fit horse through :)