3.5t van conversions

Whydowedoit

Visit site
As I can’t find any recent posts on this subject, I’m wondering what those of you who have the van type horseboxes think of them. I’m only intending to travel one 15.2h at any one time. Also wondering which are the best companies who do conversions. I’ve heard good things about three counties horseboxes. Has anyone had any recent dealings with them?
Any comments gratefully received.

scats

Visit site
I love mine. Mine was done by Andy at Equibabe. He sourced the van for me and did the conversion to my spec.

I removed the partition and only ever travel one. I have travelled a 16hh in there but I mostly use it for my 14.1hh and my two 15hhers.

scats

Visit site
No, no maintenance as yet. Although I am just about to send it in to somewhere as the small gap between the ramp and the floor worries me when the ramp is down and I’m loading and unloading, so they are going to come up with a some sort of cover for it.

My mare travels much better with the partition gone. I do find it quite a tight fit with the partition in and she is much happier having the full room and being able to stand at an angle.

lauracwd2

Visit site
I had a three counties conversion probably about 8 or 9 years ago, I certainly had no complaints. The only issue I ever had with it was leaving the interior light on in the back as it had it's own switch and draining the battery! I only sold it as my horse at the time was injured. I now have a conversion by M&D Horsesboxes but I bought it privately not from them, again been really happy with it, have disconnected the interior light to solve the problem of forgetting to turn it off. My horse is about 15hh and fits well in it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Interesting about the partition,- thank you and thanks for the reply.

I've left the partition in mine but moved it right over and put it at an angle. Allowing for the horse having narrower shoulders than hips, he leans on the partition and is traveling straight, between the back wheels.

I have a loo and tack storage in the other bit.

Wherever you do, don't buy direct off Regent. They have a bad reputation and my experience is that they deserve it.

There is at least one private seller who uses Regent to build, like mine, and they are good to deal with, but I have had one serious issue and a number of little niggles, all caused by Regent. It was worth it for the price, (at least £5k cheaper than anyone else, for me, but other people might not think so.

scats

Visit site
I've left the partition in mine but moved it right over and put it at an angle. Allowing for the horse having narrower shoulders than hips, he leans on the partition and is traveling straight, between the back wheels.

Wherever you do, don't buy direct off Regent. They have a bad reputation and my experience is that they deserve it.

There is at least one private seller who uses Regent to build, like mine, and they are good to deal with, but I have had one serious issue and a number of little niggles, all caused by Regent. It was worth it for the price, (at least £5k cheaper than anyone else, for me, but other people might not think so.

I’m considering putting the partition back in but moving it to nearer the ramp ycbm, was it easily done? At the moment I load and tie up and then have to get the bar that goes just inside the ramp (which I lie on the floor outside while I’m loading) and get that slotted in quickly. This works with Diva who stands quietly, but any horse who is a bit fidgety, it’s a bit of a mad dash. I’m thinking if I had the partition fitted nearer the ramp, I would be able to unclip it quickly and swing it into position to secure the horse, but still allowing them more room.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine was a movable partition and all I had to do was get a second plate on the floor and wall at the back and some new holes in the breast bar. Very simple.

IMG_20170922_183915.jpg

Last edited:

Whydowedoit

Visit site

Thanks. I’ll bear that in mind.

FFAQ

Visit site
I bought mine from South West horseboxes last year and use it every single day as my main vehicle! It's really economical on fuel and will carry my 16.2 shore (with the partition removed). On the whole I'm happy with it but I wouldn't buy from SWH again. I took out a loan to buy it so it annoys me to have discovered: sharp rivets, paint is flaking already, the Jack was incomplete (causing a garage call out), the inside back door handle doesn't work (discovered after I shut myself inside). If I'd bought 2nd hand privately for less money those things wouldn't bother me, but it annoys me that those things weren't checked. They also tell you there's a 3 year guarantee and then after you pay them, clarify it's a guarantee on the conversion not mechanical.
So, check every thing you can before you buy!

SadKen

Visit site
I'm trying to buy a van conversion second hand at the moment.

So far the good ones (low mileage, doesn't have a jerry-built interior by someone's uncle 'Gary does some welding with his ancient arc welder, he's got a saw bench and some plywood, and people pay loads for horseboxes') have all gone within hours of being advertised, leaving some which are rotten, been to the moon and back, or plainly a scam!

It's driving me mad! Hope you find a nice one OP.

Whydowedoit

Visit site
I'm trying to buy a van conversion second hand at the moment.

So far the good ones (low mileage, doesn't have a jerry-built interior by someone's uncle 'Gary does some welding with his ancient arc welder, he's got a saw bench and some plywood, and people pay loads for horseboxes') have all gone within hours of being advertised, leaving some which are rotten, been to the moon and back, or plainly a scam!

It's driving me mad! Hope you find a nice one OP.

Haha, you’re so right! Having now done lots of research, I’m favouring three counties horseboxes, as previous reviews have all been positive. I’d love to hear from anyone who has bought from them recently, though, just to confirm that they’re still as good as they were!

Whydowedoit

Visit site
I bought mine from South West horseboxes last year and use it every single day as my main vehicle! It's really economical on fuel and will carry my 16.2 shore (with the partition removed). On the whole I'm happy with it but I wouldn't buy from SWH again. I took out a loan to buy it so it annoys me to have discovered: sharp rivets, paint is flaking already, the Jack was incomplete (causing a garage call out), the inside back door handle doesn't work (discovered after I shut myself inside). If I'd bought 2nd hand privately for less money those things wouldn't bother me, but it annoys me that those things weren't checked. They also tell you there's a 3 year guarantee and then after you pay them, clarify it's a guarantee on the conversion not mechanical.
So, check every thing you can before you buy!

Thanks, that’s another one struck off the list! I know what you mean about warranty. They are sometimes a bit misleading. It is usually the conversion itself rather than the chassis that’s covered.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Haha, you’re so right! Having now done lots of research, I’m favouring three counties horseboxes, as previous reviews have all been positive. I’d love to hear from anyone who has bought from them recently, though, just to confirm that they’re still as good as they were!

I didn't end up getting one of theirs as I found a coachbuilt one in-budget but I went to their workshop when I was looking for mine and had a good look at the ones they had ready to sell, as well as some that were being built and test drove one that I was interested in buying. I was impressed with what they were doing, strong focus on safety, no frills but able to do the things i wanted. they had some return customers that were trading in for upgrades etc which always seems like a good sign.

Whydowedoit

Visit site
I didn't end up getting one of theirs as I found a coachbuilt one in-budget but I went to their workshop when I was looking for mine and had a good look at the ones they had ready to sell, as well as some that were being built and test drove one that I was interested in buying. I was impressed with what they were doing, strong focus on safety, no frills but able to do the things i wanted. they had some return customers that were trading in for upgrades etc which always seems like a good sign.

Thank you so much. That’s the conclusion I have come to as well.

Crackerz

Visit site
I had a Three Counties box before this one, it was a very basic box, one of their older conversions as it was a 2001 van. I researched for a long time looking for current box, had mine built at Equisport - it was unrivaled for the safety aspect in my research and worth the realllllly long drive to collect it! I'm not sure you see many for sale though, i think people tend to hang on to them.

Whydowedoit

Visit site
I had a Three Counties box before this one, it was a very basic box, one of their older conversions as it was a 2001 van. I researched for a long time looking for current box, had mine built at Equisport - it was unrivaled for the safety aspect in my research and worth the realllllly long drive to collect it! I'm not sure you see many for sale though, i think people tend to hang on to them.

Thanks. I’ve just looked at Equisport. Not sure if I like the low canopy top door in the photos. However, that may just be the photo! Also, as I’m on the south coast, they are far too far away sadly. Thanks for your input though.

Crackerz

Visit site
Thanks. I’ve just looked at Equisport. Not sure if I like the low canopy top door in the photos. However, that may just be the photo! Also, as I’m on the south coast, they are far too far away sadly. Thanks for your input though.

I'm South West, so they are miles from me too. The top door is no lower than any others either :) I looked at 11 different companies, and they stood out by miles which is why we went so far! If one pops up on the second hand market it's worth viewing.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm South West, so they are miles from me too. The top door is no lower than any others either :)

think OP means compared to the barn door type openings. Mine has a full width top door that opens to the side which makes it a bit more inviting for horses that raise their heads when going up the ramp, compared to one that lifts up. The 3 counties ones tend to be similar IME.

Only downside is you can't use the top door for shade and if it's peeing down the ramp gets wet :D

Crackerz

Visit site
think OP means compared to the barn door type openings. Mine has a full width top door that opens to the side which makes it a bit more inviting for horses that raise their heads when going up the ramp, compared to one that lifts up. The 3 counties ones tend to be similar IME.

Only downside is you can't use the top door for shade and if it's peeing down the ramp gets wet :D

Ah yes my 3 counties had that and i hated it! when it was open it made the passenger door unusable and that bugged me alot and was a definite no no when buying a new one! My lift up one goes as high as the top of the van anyway :)

Whydowedoit

Visit site
Ah yes my 3 counties had that and i hated it! when it was open it made the passenger door unusable and that bugged me alot and was a definite no no when buying a new one! My lift up one goes as high as the top of the van anyway :)
That’s something I hadn’t thought of. Good point!