3.5tonne Horse box. Log book says is a box van - dodgy???

LesB

New User
Visit site
There's a lovely couple, who seem genuine, and have lost historic documentation on conversion and maintenance for their horsebox. The conversion company don't seem to exist anymore, but they have done a good job and there are a few people with this conversion about.

I'm new to it all and wife and daughter need a box for a couple of years and I figure its a cheap transport and accommodation for boys bike weekends too for me.

The test drive went well. They have offered to get a full service done at a reputable garage , it has an MoT and a log book that says it's a box van. Any advice to say if this is legitimate our what I need to do. I can't find anything on the internet. I imagined the logbook would say it was a Horsebox.

I'm looking into insurance to drive it home and it needs road tax (and I believe there are new rules - my head is spinning).

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You can breathe, there are a lot of 3.5 horseboxes that are labelled by DVLA as box vans, also livestock carriers, and some are actually horse boxes.
In the main, the ones that are horse boxes are those built on a chassis from New. (Not all tho!)
DVLA are reluctant to change older vehicles to being a horse box, however, the top end insurance companies do understand this and are still fine to insure with :)

After a long fight with DVLA, my purpose built box is still a box van on the reg doc.... (built by recognised builder 5 years ago on what was then a 4yr old cab chassis) :rolleyes3: been cheerfully insured with KBIS and SEIB over the last 5 years.

Last edited:

WelshD

Visit site
There is no obligation to change for a 3.5t, most are listed simply as vans and others are tippers, box vans etc and all are subject to the same class 7 MOT

LesB

New User
Visit site
Thanks . these are nervous times. I've never spent so much money!

I'm looking forward to speaking with insurance companies (thanks for advice. This forum also recommends Shearwater) and getting a nice warm feeling.

The 880kg (with fuel) payload is not much, but we will have to learn to live with it and get on diets (inc 500kg horse).

Is there some new road tax system? the owner suggested it is not taxed at the moment, so do I pay him to tax it initially?

cold_feet

Visit site
I went through this last year with my new box. dvla do not have a category for horsebox for this weight - to them it is just a box van. I went through the process of trying to register change of use, in the end I was persuaded by dvla that it should be left as it is. Seems this is normal.

Louby

Visit site
My 3.5t was insured with SEIB as they gave me the most competitive quote, whereas Anthony Evens have always been the best for 7.5t. Dont forget breakdown cover too, it really is worth having as I couldnt imagine anything worse than being broken down with horses on board. As for tax, I did mine as soon as I got the V5, its really easy online and I pay monthly. I know you mention the payload not being a lot and Im sorry to sound negative but it really isnt a lot! Im just thinking if you come to sell it may well put people off. Oh and mine said box van too :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thanks . these are nervous times. I've never spent so much money!

I'm looking forward to speaking with insurance companies (thanks for advice. This forum also recommends Shearwater) and getting a nice warm feeling.

The 880kg (with fuel) payload is not much, but we will have to learn to live with it and get on diets (inc 500kg horse).

Is there some new road tax system? the owner suggested it is not taxed at the moment, so do I pay him to tax it initially?

Mine's 20 years old :eek: and also registered as a box van:)

Tax doesn't transfer with ownership any more so you'll need to tax it yourself, just like buying a car. My vehicle didn't show up online but the friendly folk at the post office did it over the counter for me.

LesB

New User
Visit site
Thanks. I'll go with that. I guess the responsibility is with me to ensure the vehicle is converted properly. It looks ok. I was concerned off need paperwork to say it had passed some post conversion test. The MoT does dive of that i guess.

jojo5

Visit site
Just to quickly agree with above - be wary of 880 kg payload as weight quickly adds up with horse, fuel, tack and especially water if going out for the day.

LesB

New User
Visit site
the vehicle was full of fuel when calculating payload. Horse and wife and daughter will be 600kg. 280kg of kit should be doable. I'll get it on weigh bridge with horse and passengers & fuel

Moogleberry

Visit site
I sympathise with your concerns, we bought our first ever horse box this year and it's a minefield....there seems to be no regulations on converting a donor vehicle to a horsebox, we found a really solid Marlborough in the end but it pays to do your homework. We insured with no problems although it is listed as a box van on the paperwork, also we taxed it online the morning we collected it.