4 months on...a little update

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well Nell arrived with me on 22/1/12 so we are 4months in and have come so far already.
When she arrived she was wary of me in general, did not want me to touch her when out in the field and was very jumpy etc. She also did not like having her feet picked up and would kick out or not even pick them up!

Now she loves a fuss in the field or not, and lets me pick out her feet in the field without a head collar. I found it very hard to adapt to her i have to be honest and I pined after my beloved Seren for so long, I still do, but I have learnt to love Nell. It does take time to build a relationship after all, and although I know we have a long way to go we have really come on since then.
Lots of people have commented on how she is maturing and really turning into a young mare now. After a rocky and emotional start I really do love my new girl Nell
So a couple of pics the day she arrived
Ignore me looking daft please :)
032-3.jpg

034-2.jpg

And some from tonight after a quick wash
009-9.jpg

007-9.jpg

003-5.jpg

005-7.jpg

Cobi

Visit site
She is beautiful, I am pleased that you have managed to build a relationship with her. It must be so hard to move on but Seren will always be in your heart

:)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
She is beautiful, I am pleased that you have managed to build a relationship with her. It must be so hard to move on but Seren will always be in your heart

:)

Thanks Cobi, I am very glad too, it was an emotional start but I really do love my girl and hope we have many happy years together

Native Speaker

Visit site
She's lovely - just my type! :D

Yes, it takes time to build a relationship with a new animal, especially if you've lost one previously. My OH was just the same when he lost his dog of a lifetime two years ago. In fact the two of us experienced such physical pain, the only thing that relieved it was the decision to have another dog, something which OH said he would never do. It took several months for him to accept that Bear was not Tugg, and that Bear has his own, very different character even though he's the same breed as Tugg.

I'm happy to say that OH and Bear are now truly One Man and His Dog, and sometimes I can't see where one ends and the other begins, if you get my drift!:p:D

I wish you many, many happy years together. :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Wow Moggy she looks fantastic! The change is amazing - she looks so happy and healthy! I think my girl is the same age as yours and I've been getting similar comments about how she is maturing from looking like an out of proportion youngster into a proper little pony.
I know exactly what you mean about the bonding. As much as I like Kenzi, I don't feel the same about her as I did about Rebel. I still find myself comparing things she does with things he would have done. And I now realise what a lovely easy horse he was. But you can't bring them back so you just have to get on and deal with what you've got!
Good luck with all you do with her. x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Lovely pictures! She is one gorgeous girl.

I agree that it can take a long time to build a relationship with any new horse. I was saying only yesterday that the mare that I've had since January 2011 has just recently started coming to the wall/fence for a fuss when she sees someone she knows, so as Nell was a 'replacement' (I know it doesn't really work like that), I think you're doing very well to be so close to her by now.

joeanne

Visit site
She is a beautiful girl MIM.
I only recently realised you had lost Seren, she was also a lovely mare.
I like the markings on her stifle. Almost looks like an indian paint pont with a hand print!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
She's lovely - just my type! :D

Yes, it takes time to build a relationship with a new animal, especially if you've lost one previously. My OH was just the same when he lost his dog of a lifetime two years ago. In fact the two of us experienced such physical pain, the only thing that relieved it was the decision to have another dog, something which OH said he would never do. It took several months for him to accept that Bear was not Tugg, and that Bear has his own, very different character even though he's the same breed as Tugg.

I'm happy to say that OH and Bear are now truly One Man and His Dog, and sometimes I can't see where one ends and the other begins, if you get my drift!:p:D

I wish you many, many happy years together. :)

Thanks NS. It is funny isnt it, it is very hard at first as you cannot help but compare and want that lovely familiarity and long term bond you had. Again Nell is the same breed as my lovely Seren but they are very different and it took a while but i love Nell and her very different character. Lol that is so sweet with your OH and his newer dog, cant see where one ends and one begins :D

And thanks to everyone else

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Wow Moggy she looks fantastic! The change is amazing - she looks so happy and healthy! I think my girl is the same age as yours and I've been getting similar comments about how she is maturing from looking like an out of proportion youngster into a proper little pony.
I know exactly what you mean about the bonding. As much as I like Kenzi, I don't feel the same about her as I did about Rebel. I still find myself comparing things she does with things he would have done. And I now realise what a lovely easy horse he was. But you can't bring them back so you just have to get on and deal with what you've got!
Good luck with all you do with her. x

Thanks HH :) Yes I think they are about the same age too.
I found it very hard at first that she would not even pick up her feet or let me stroke her in the field like Seren did. I was so lucky too as Seren was such an easy horse to do in all ways, so willing and kind. Nell is willing and kind but has got a lot more cheek to her. This is it, cant bring them back as much as I long to have her again, I still feel robbed of her but we did have a wonderful 19years which is more than alot of people get x

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Lovely pictures! She is one gorgeous girl.

I agree that it can take a long time to build a relationship with any new horse. I was saying only yesterday that the mare that I've had since January 2011 has just recently started coming to the wall/fence for a fuss when she sees someone she knows, so as Nell was a 'replacement' (I know it doesn't really work like that), I think you're doing very well to be so close to her by now.

It does, I think we have a way to go but I have really warmed to her and know and feel that she is mine now if you know what I mean.

She is a beautiful girl MIM.
I only recently realised you had lost Seren, she was also a lovely mare.
I like the markings on her stifle. Almost looks like an indian paint pont with a hand print!

Thanks, yes it is a lovely mark isnt it, part of it looks like a face :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I am so pleased you decided to keep her and now find yourself loving her. It is hard when you have had one very special horse in your life to then get another one. But she is very different to Seren, so not a replacement, but represents the start of a new chapter of your life.

My new horse is also very different to my old girl. Last Friday I received my old girl's passport in the post from my friend as I had forgotten to pick it up when I picked up her rugs and tack etc. Along with the passport was a card from my friend with lots of memories and a beautiful tribute written inside. Later that morning I had my first lesson on my new boy and he was amazing. But on the drive back in the lorry, I found myself crying because, well, I don't really know why. I think it was a realisation that if I hadn't learnt so much from my mare I never would be able to have a horse like my new one and feel I could really ride him.

Seren will have taught you things that you don't even realise and Nell will be all the better for them. Please keep us updated on her and your progress together. Good luck. :) xx

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am so pleased you decided to keep her and now find yourself loving her. It is hard when you have had one very special horse in your life to then get another one. But she is very different to Seren, so not a replacement, but represents the start of a new chapter of your life.

My new horse is also very different to my old girl. Last Friday I received my old girl's passport in the post from my friend as I had forgotten to pick it up when I picked up her rugs and tack etc. Along with the passport was a card from my friend with lots of memories and a beautiful tribute written inside. Later that morning I had my first lesson on my new boy and he was amazing. But on the drive back in the lorry, I found myself crying because, well, I don't really know why. I think it was a realisation that if I hadn't learnt so much from my mare I never would be able to have a horse like my new one and feel I could really ride him.

Seren will have taught you things that you don't even realise and Nell will be all the better for them. Please keep us updated on her and your progress together. Good luck. :) xx

Thanks nikicb. It is a new chapter, nothing could ever replace my lovely girl. But Nell is a very nice young mare and although I expect we will have challenged ahead I hope we are a good match for the future, feels like we are. She is such a bold and brave girl with a very smart head on her shoulders.
I know what your saying, I cry for Seren still, for the memories and wonderful life we had together and how much she gave me in those years. When I told my farrier I had lost Seren even he said whatever horse I had next had very big shoes to fill as Seren was a darling.
I do hope me and Nell have a lovely long and happy chapter ahead too x

Ibblebibble

Visit site
like Nikicb has said, i am so glad you decided to keep her after that wibble about her age;) it isn't easy to start again when you've had such a great bond with a previous horse but you have shown that time and a bit of patience can make the biggest difference:)
She really has bloomed since those first pictures, it would be very hard not to fall in love with her i think:D