4x4 for towing two horses other than a Discovery!

fornema

Visit site
Mitsubishi Shogun LWB here, had ours 7 years still looks brand new never broken down or had any problems :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Hubs came home last night with a HUGE Disco TD5 - I cannot believe how big it is - had trouble even parking the Freelander :eek: Tis like a bus.. but we have four seats now, instead of just the two (rear seats folded to get everything in), and it looks like a tank for towing.. LOVE IT !!!

ps we don't have a pot to piss in, but the petrol was crippling us. Hubs bought this at trade price, and drove it back from Cornwall last night, poor man. All so I can get the pony out and about xx

TBB

Visit site
have had a couple of Nissans over the years and also had a Mitsu pajero, none had any problems towing a 510 with two 17hh horses on board. a friend is now looking at a demo VW Amorak to tow her 510 but no one seems to know anything about them :confused:(new out this year?), apart from the salesman who says its brilliant at towing and very fuel efficient:rolleyes:, but then he'd hardly say it was useless would he?:D . Anyone know anything about them? Its a crew cab with a lot of room and very snazzy inside.

ROG

Visit site
..demo VW Amorak to tow her 510 but no one seems to know anything about them :confused:(new out this year?), apart from the salesman who says its brilliant at towing and very fuel efficient:rolleyes:, but then he'd hardly say it was useless would he?:D .
Lets hope it is not renamed ANORAK for the wrong reasons !!

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
you mum is right

The Disco is the right work horse for your job so to speak. Now to ease our dads worries, tell him to look at Defenders / Discos / Classic and P38 range rovers and look at gas converted models. my Landrover Range Rover 3.9 V8 Vogue SE ( its a classic) runs on petrol and gas and we get money wise 30 to the gallon and 27mpg when towing with my 2 horses ( 17hh and 17.3) hope this helps. but Landrover is what you want, spares are cheap as chips on ebay too and its big kid meccano so any mechanic or budding DIY'ist can fix them if need be

hope this helps

Jo x

Thanks, we are trying! I think my mum has her heart set on one, but my dad really has it in for them. I think his main objection is that they are to slow (he was on about them taking 20 secs 0-60 or something). I've told him that we need something that will tow 2.5 tonnes at least, as its pointless getting something that will still only tow one horse, so i've given him a list of all the suggestions! Tbh i think i might just give him this thread to have a look at! I think my mum would be happy with a Sorento now after some googling, but i'm sure my dad will find some objection to it too!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Just been out for a Disco test drive, and my God the thing shifts for it's size !! Bit of trouble reversing without hitting the car behind, but I love it - you are so high up and safe, other 4 x 4's seemed tiny below it. :)

Shazzababs

Visit site
The new model of the Hyundai Santa Fe will tow enough, as will the VW Tiguan (Escape Model only).

The Kia has won loads of tow car awards and on paper is much more economical than a disco.

Also you might find that insurance for you on a Defender isn't too bad. I was a named driver on my mothers from 17 and they are considered lower risk because they are unattractive to muppets, and generally used as rural workhorses and not for bombing up and down the motorway.

Daytona

Visit site
I have a 08 plate L200 Animal, nearly went for a discovery but was put off by a land rover dealer mechanic , said they nothing but problems and stay well clear, similar was said to us about nissan nivara , the best vote we were getting from chatting to various 4x4 dealers and research on net was L200.

burtie

Visit site
Love towing and horse shows with My L200 but if I'm honest it's not the best everyday day car. Parking in the supermarket can be fun as it has the turning circle of a bus!

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Unladen 1000
MAM 2584

The OP needs to tow 2000 (1000 trailer + 1000 horses) so a 2400 towing capacity would give then plenty of leeway

That's odd, as my 510 is 1200kg unladen, and the MAM is around 2800kg. This is based on what it actually says on the trailer, not a vendor :)

Would also agree that you want something that can tow at least 2800kg. I really liked the Nissan Terrano when test driving, and fell in love with a Mercedes ML270, which I bought. I have also heard good things about the Kia Sorrento from lots of people.

You definitely want a lot more grunt than you will need, though!

Isabelle

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
Well we have finally made progress. Me and my mum managed to persuade my dad into a discovery and we have got a nice shiny black v8 LPG one :) so if it ever stops raining then we'll be able to test it out at my next comp in a couple of weeks! Thanks for all your help!

ROG

Visit site
Well we have finally made progress. Me and my mum managed to persuade my dad into a discovery and we have got a nice shiny black v8 LPG one :) so if it ever stops raining then we'll be able to test it out at my next comp in a couple of weeks! Thanks for all your help!
Did you look into getting on to your parents insurance as a named driver so you can tow it under B+E provisional rules?

Kamakazegirl

Visit site
Yes we did when we were looking it insuring my parents on it. It will be a third car for now so we don't have any NCD on it. we managed to find insurance for them for £600ish, and we added me on it and the cheapest quote was £5,550! So i think I'll have to wait a few years when hopefully they'll have some NCD and I'll be a bit older so the insurance will go down!

ROG

Visit site
Yes we did when we were looking it insuring my parents on it. It will be a third car for now so we don't have any NCD on it. we managed to find insurance for them for £600ish, and we added me on it and the cheapest quote was £5,550! So i think I'll have to wait a few years when hopefully they'll have some NCD and I'll be a bit older so the insurance will go down!
Blimey - you could buy another for that !!