5* livery in Essex?

Stoxx

Visit site
Does anyone know of any very good livery yards in Essex?
My requirements are as follows:
7 day livery
Experienced, knowledgable staff
Large bright airy stables on good, deep beds
Indoor & outdoor arenas with good, well maintained surfaces
Horse walker
Good off road hacking
Well maintained individual turnout
Not a competition yard (doesn't hold competitions)

I am aware of Wenlocks, I am also aware I want a lot, but I am willing to pay for it.

Would be most grateful of any suggestions. Thanks

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Forest farm in Collier row has all of that apart from great turnout, but to be honest I think you will struggle to get everything on that list in Essex.

olop

Visit site
Lawn hall in Dunmow has most of those things (I know it has an indoor arena but not sure if they have an outdoor as well?)

A friend of mine used to be at Wenlocks and she didn't recommend.

I think you may have to sacrifice something from that list, the yards in essex are not that great no matter how much you are willing to pay unfortunately!

Stoxx

Visit site
Anywhere in Essex to be honest other than Collier Row!!!
Lawn Hall has a tiny indoor with a dreadful surface.

I'm currently at Wenlocks & it's super, everything my horse & I need but I am possibly looking to move house & was looking for other options but it seems there aren't any!!

KPM

Visit site
If you find anywhere let me know! I looked for all that but didn't come up with much besides Wenlocks which was full at the time.

How about a pro's yard? I have no idea if they would have everything you need but Paul Hayler? Assoulines (turnout my only question there)?

Stoxx

Visit site
Paul's isn't far enough away from Wenlocks to warrant a move, I will find out about the Assoulines, thanks.

I forgot about Church House Farm, I enquiried there about 3 years ago. At the time I thought the stables were on the small side, the surface was deep & the turnout situation wouldn't have suited as mine wouldn't stay out overnight in the summer & you didn't have a choice. This may have changed so it's worth calling.

As I said, I don't want to move from where I am, but if we end up moving far enough out that the travel time is going to be a problem on a daily basis I need to know if I have options!

Thanks

montanna

Visit site
Had a friend at church house... She had nothing but problems, apparently they are stingy with hay/haylage and left the horses with nothing a lot of the time.

I'm at a fantastic yard, has everything listed but no indoor/floodlights.

mischamoo

Visit site
Does anyone know of any very good livery yards in Essex?
My requirements are as follows:
7 day livery
Experienced, knowledgable staff
Large bright airy stables on good, deep beds
Indoor & outdoor arenas with good, well maintained surfaces
Horse walker
Good off road hacking
Well maintained individual turnout
Not a competition yard (doesn't hold competitions)

I am aware of Wenlocks, I am also aware I want a lot, but I am willing to pay for it.

Would be most grateful of any suggestions. Thanks

Frenches Farm Livery in Oxen End (a few miles from Gt Dunmow) no indoor school but a lovely yard - they often have external instructors come to run clinics and hacking is great round there too. The lady that runs it is very nice too.

mischamoo

Visit site
Or Belsmard Livery in Writtle - again I dont think it has an indoor school and not sure on turnout restrictions but have heard good reviews on the place.

olop

Visit site
Didn't realise you were at Wenlocks! friend had problems with someone there that's why she didn't recommend!

Belsmard have no winter turnout, it's a lovely yard which is a shame.
Have also heard about the hay situation at church house farm, my YO used to groom there and she told me what they were like!
The same applies to Paul Hayler's.

How about Ami McClean at Norton Heath?? I know you said you didnt want a comp yard but her stables are separate and they have all you need over there?? She has a website.

Ets being at Wenlocks I really think you will be disappointed by any of the other yards in essex!

Last edited:

CBAnglo

Visit site
I keep forgetting you changed your name! Hope everything is going well?

Are you moving further out to Chelmsford/Colchester way? I saw a couple of new adverts at Ingatestone on the weekend for new yards around that area. Have you looked already? I will need to go again on the weekend so can take another look?

DoesDressage

Visit site
Have experience with some of these yards.

Worked at assouline dressage. Lovely people, horses very well looked after but turnout was very limited when I was there.

Belsmard- some of the best management of horses in the area i think but lack of turnout made a good friend move

Church house- not sure what hay situation is. When I was there about a year a go there was way too much but not sure you can complain about that unless your horse is a fatty

Lawn hall- amazing care. Would trust owner with my own horse any day of the week, if it had a better arena I would say it would be unbeatable for the area. Lovely hacking too!!

crha

Visit site
Have also really found it difficult to find a top livery yard in Essex, which has the facilities plus people you trust to look after your horse, so am following this thread with interest! Does anyone know anything about Elms Farm in Roxwell as heard it reopened last year?

Jo C

Visit site
Elms Farm only does full livery. Horses are turned out every day (unless weather really bad). Nice floodlit school and lovely people.