50g or 0g fill?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
What would be the preference?

Orbit seems like he is quite a hot horse so far! He is out with just a lightweight no fill but personally I find them quite sweaty? He hasnt been sweaty yet but I do need a bigger size for him immediately.
Would a 50g at least wicker away any sweat?

What is your preference??

Sorry if it sounds silly but BB was a cold horse , he woulda needed a 200 in 10degrees lol 😂

Nasicus

Visit site
Mudrugs do a 20g, I think it's great!

ecb89

Visit site
How much warmer is a 50g compared to 0g?

My ID is a very hot horse. He spends most of the winter fully clipped and in 100g, only going to a 200g when it’s very cold. We are in Essex so it’s never ‘that’ cold compared to some areas of the country.

He normally wears a 0g weatherbeeta to keep the rain off on milder days and to keep clean. But I’ve read more and more that 50g would be better as the hair can lift underneath. I worry about him getting too warm though.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I struggled with this.

I had a hot horse so assumed 0g rain sheet but then doubted myself because a rug flattens the coat so he won't be able to keep himself warm. I bought a 100g. Wish I'd got the rain sheet instead. I might have used that occasionally.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only buy weatherbeeta 1200 denier 0 fill rugs as I find the thinner ones leak in heavy rain, my 50g rugs are shires and they last a good few years I like to have both and I also have 50g liners so you could buy a 0 fill and get a 50g liner swish sell them.

I also use the snuggy hood petticoats under my rugs if I don't use a filled liner.

Both my horses are quite hot they rarely get cold and I clip them in winter.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
we've got both, so far been using the 0g but it hasn't leaked once yet. Switching to 50g later in the week as forecast is 10C down to 0 on the weekend. Ours hasn't been clipped yet and has a big belly so she'll be fine! Out 24/7 at the moment.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I love my 0 fill rugs, I think the better ones don’t leak.
None of mine leak and my horse never feels sweaty, I’m more of an under rugger though so if I doubt he had a waterproof fly sheet.
I just find them totally different. If it were a bit cooler he’d be cold in a 0 and fine in a 50 but if a bit warmer he’d definitely sweat in a 50g
I don’t see that as an either or.
So, anyway! At this time of year I’d go 50g as it’s getting cooler.
I had a look recently though and didn’t see a huge amount to choose from.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I use Rhino lite rugs, not sure if they are 0gm or 50gm. It’s irrelevant to me though because I always use a cotton sheet with a belly flap under any turnout rug. This stops the turnout lining getting greasy and hard to wash. Washing with detergent to remove the grease kills the waterproofing.
When warmer rugs are needed I put a short depth quilt underneath instead.

Ali27

Visit site
It’s so mild at the moment so unless clipped, no rug! I was doing fencing today in a light rain jacket with t-shirt under and sweated. One of mine has just been clipped so a 50g on at night and off during the day.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use Rhino lite rugs, not sure if they are 0gm or 50gm. It’s irrelevant to me though because I always use a cotton sheet with a belly flap under any turnout rug. This stops the turnout lining getting greasy and hard to wash. Washing with detergent to remove the grease kills the waterproofing.
When warmer rugs are needed I put a short depth quilt underneath instead.

Thats why I always put a liner under my turnouts.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
It’s so mild at the moment so unless clipped, no rug! I was doing fencing today in a light rain jacket with t-shirt under and sweated. One of mine has just been clipped so a 50g on at night and off during the day.
Its not mild here, baltic 3 degrees this morning 🥶🥶🥶

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's going down to 6 degrees here tomorrow night it's been no lower than 13 for weeks so mine have been naked, it was pouring of rain last night so they had a rug on but was the first time in weeks.

Autumn is definitely here.

dottylottie

Visit site
a good 0g with a 50g liner! i couldn’t decide what to go with this morning, then thought sod it they’re fat anyway and chucked them out naked😂

i did feel guilty this morning when i realised it had dropped to 3 degrees overnight and my fully clipped ponies hadn’t been tucked up in their stable rugs, but they certainly didn’t care🤦🏼‍♀️😂

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I personally use a 0g far, far more than I do a 50g.

I can layer under a 0g either with a liner or another rug but you can't take the filling put of a 50g.

Never had any issues with it leaking or feeling sticky on the inside.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
What would be the preference?

Orbit seems like he is quite a hot horse so far! He is out with just a lightweight no fill but personally I find them quite sweaty? He hasnt been sweaty yet but I do need a bigger size for him immediately.
Would a 50g at least wicker away any sweat?

What is your preference??

Sorry if it sounds silly but BB was a cold horse , he woulda needed a 200 in 10degrees lol 😂
I prefer the no fill, then jump to the 100G when cooler as I could always put a thin rug under the 0G to make it 50G. I don't own a 50G

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Well I will definitely recommend the Shires Typhoon with neck attachment, no fill turnout!.

Awful heavy rain forecast, so I put it on the young TB on Tuesday Eve with the intention of swapping it to a dry one after work last night and was thrilled and quite surprised that it he was bone dry underneath it.

I thought for the budget range of rug that it is, it wouldn't have held that rain off him.

LJF0664

Visit site
I use a 50g Shires as a lightweight turnout as I find it much better (less sweaty and more waterproof) than a no fill, but it doesn't have the same 'snug' feeling as other 50gs that feel like they offer more warmth. if I feel like she needs a little warmth I switch into a 50g amigo, which is a great rug but i wouldn't use it instead of a no fill as she would be too hot!

The Derby House 50g is also a good no-fill alternative, I have one with a neck which is great for crappy but warm weather