58 day pregnancy scan, vet not sure??

Flowers187

Visit site
So took my mare for a scan today to check on the foal, shes at about day 58.
She'd been to the stud for the 14 day and heartbeat scans, but thought I'd have a check at my local vets now.
Vet put her hand up ands said yes she could feel a lump and the fluid so deff still in foal. Then scanned her for over an hour as there was problems with the scanner, said she could see foal legs etc. then she couldn't, then said she could see fluid. Then ultimately said she didn't think she was in foal any more but said herself shes not the most experienced scanning at this stage. She said its very rare to lose a foal this early as they usually lose them day 80 when the endo-something cups form. Got her booked in to the stud tomorrow for a proper check, with experienced stud vet.
Any body had any experience of problems at this stage?
Absolutely gutted as it was both our first experiences with breeding!

Spring Feather

Visit site
No, never, but then I use a purely repro vet who can scan properly. The only embryos any of my mares have lost have been pre-25 days and we knew they were losing them because the scans told us so. We simply rebred and the mares held the second time.

Flowers187

Visit site
Yes, the stud vet was happy with her heartbeat scan and did all her ai'ing and scanning so knows her best. It was just because its her first foal I thought I'd have another check now and local vet seemed easier than the 45 min drive to stud, but lesson learnt now! Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Hurricanelady

Visit site
I was also in the difficult position of having my mare and foal at home when she needed one of her scans and either had the choice of boxing them both up to the stud, or getting the stud vet to come over to me - about an 1 to 1.5 hours journey each way depending on traffic. As the former option was not easy as I didn't want to have to travel the mare and foal unnecessarily (and on my own), and the latter option would be costly, I asked my local vets (they do equine but are not stud vets) to scan the mare.

Pointless - ancient scanner, no extension cable (lucky I had one!) and she told me the mare was having twins (!!) at the same time as freely admitting that she hardly does any repro work and couldn't be sure at all about the verdict. The stud vet came that afternoon (but of course had to charge a hefty travelling cost), verified immediately it wasn't twins; and the mare was safely in foal to what is now a really lovely yearling :)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
TBH, unless you're on a scheme where you only pay a stud fee if in foal on 1st October (usually only with TB studs, most other studs require the stud fee paid before the mare leaves the stud) then if it's been scanned in foal at either 28 or 42 days, I honestly don't see the point of rescanning at this time of year as it's far too late to cover them again and you can't change the result (unless possibly if you have a useless vet) It just seems like money down the drain to me.
With diets as they are nowadays, usually to change to a stud diet within two months is enough rather than the original final third and by that time you should be seeing the foal moving anyway but if you're still unsure, that is the time to get scanning so that you can sort any problems she might have early on so she will be clean and healthy to go to stud for the return.

Patterdale

Visit site
To be fair to everyday vets, I always feel a little sorry for them when they have to scan!
It's really really hard and takes years to get right.
OH scans sheep and cattle, better than most vets, but it took I'd say around 4 seasons of scanning 500+ sheep a day to get his eye in.

I'd always just use a proper repro vet :)

Flowers187

Visit site
Nope :( took stud vet 2 seconds to tell me! Shes back in april, stud were very good and gave me infoal fee back even though she'd already had a heartbean scan. I'll give her a good jumping season now unt april and then take her back. Vet said they will put her ob regumate next year and stallion is LFG so thats abit of a silver lining