7.5t non-tilt cab

Austen123

Visit site
hi all,

has anyone here had (or has) a non tilt cab 7.5t lorry. i have been on the hunt for a long time for a 7.5t-10t lorry with a 50k budget but really struggling to find one that ticks all the boxes. i have seen a really nice PRB lorry but it is not a tilt cab. apparently, PRB build them with access to the engine in the underfloor storage. What is your honest opinion on whether tilt cab is major deal breaker?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The garage that used to maintain ours told us never to buy one that didn't tilt in future. Nothing went wrong with it, but it was always a stress in case it did. A friend had a tied down Daf with a wiring fault to the windscreen wipers that couldn't be accessed without tipping the cab. It's not just engine/gearbox/clutch problems that are made harder to fix. I would never have another.

Hope that helps.

luckyoldme

Visit site
For all you will get plenty saying theyve never had a problem mechanically with a non tilt thats not really the issue.
The issue is that if you do get a problem its more labour hours and therefore much more expensive to get fixed..its not worth the risk.
Im assuming you have a garage lined up for services ..maybe speak to them about anything you are serious about buying.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had two 7.5 tonnes and one 12.5 tonne, and always had a tilt cab. It was harder to find but my mechanic wouldn't even service one that didn't tilt. Thought they were the work of the devil!

I am sure I could have found another mechanic, but he was good and if he thought that strongly about it, I decided to believe him.

catembi

Visit site
I had a non tilt Bedford TK. The radiator went. Luckily o/h at the time was capable of changing a radiator but OMFG it was right on the very edge of being physically impossible. It took **ages** and was the most unbelievable faff. Trying to work blind at arm's length all the time.

paddy555

Visit site
we had two 7.5's both of them tilted. If they went wrong away from home OH((or any mechanic) was able to just tilt the cab and deal with minor problems. Having to go into the engine from underneath would have been a nightmare. For me it would be a deal breaker.

Nicnac

Visit site
Have had two without tilt - current is a Prestige 7.5t. Never been an issue and isn't on my list of must haves (obviously!)

catroo

Visit site
Our first 7.5t wasn’t a tilt cab, wasn’t much of a problem at first, I bit more expensive to service because of extra labour etc, but no big deal . . . until it started to have little niggles.
The problems were really small and would have been easy fixes with access but with a non tilt it became so expensive.

Even with that I wouldn’t say never again, if it was perfect in every other way then I’d factor in additional labour costs

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Mine's a non-tilt cab, my mechanic complains about it but he can still fix it no problems, it's just slightly harder so probably slightly more expensive. I certainly wouldn't disregard a really great lorry just because it didn't have a tilt cab.

Louby

Visit site
Ive had both, the one with a tilt cab never was tilted as it never went wrong lol and the others did have bits of work done on them over the years without a problem. Saying that a tilt cab would be a positive but probably not a deal breaker for me.

suebou

Visit site
All my tilt cabs have, sooner or later, leaked, usually very badly. New one is non tilt and mechanic has complained bitterly........

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
All my tilt cabs have, sooner or later, leaked, usually very badly. New one is non tilt and mechanic has complained bitterly........

Didn't it have a Luton? It's very difficult to get a leak inside a tilt cab with a Luton. I haven't seen a horsebox registered in the last twenty five years without a Luton, they are too useful not to have one.

suebou

Visit site
Usually through the lift up section where the cab tilts through the Luton. However, they were conversions rather than coachbuilt but nonetheless a pain!

luckyoldme

Visit site
Ahh that explains it!
Everything ive ever driven has been tilt but they are all inspected every 6 weeks and tilted every second service.