7.5t Theory test - HELP

dorsetladette

Visit site
I'm looking for some advice please you lovely lot!

I'm trying to book my theory test - I'm going to say C1? for my 7.5t licence. If I don't book it i won't revise as I'm not self motivated with out a deadline. (And its boring!)

When you go on the government website it give you 3 choices of tests to book. CPC, theory and hazard perception. You can sit these all together or separately. I think I'll do them separately so I don't overwhelm myself.

But, I can't find any revisions support for the CPC part? do i need to do this if I'm only driving our lorry for personal use?

I've also been told there is a case study element to the test, is that the CPC part?

chocolategirl

Visit site
I'm looking for some advice please you lovely lot!

I'm trying to book my theory test - I'm going to say C1? for my 7.5t licence. If I don't book it i won't revise as I'm not self motivated with out a deadline. (And its boring!)

When you go on the government website it give you 3 choices of tests to book. CPC, theory and hazard perception. You can sit these all together or separately. I think I'll do them separately so I don't overwhelm myself.

But, I can't find any revisions support for the CPC part? do i need to do this if I'm only driving our lorry for personal use?

I've also been told there is a case study element to the test, is that the CPC part?
Do you mind me asking why you’re doing the C1 and not the C? I was under the impression that with the new changes to towing laws etc, you can drive up to 7.5 tonne now on an ordinary licence? I did my C test over 5 years ago, I was already old enough to drive a 7.5t, but even so, would never have considered doing the C1, there’s barely any difference?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the change to the towing licence didn't change anything about lorries afaik?
i agree though i did my C test as cost was similar but i wanted to practice and do my test in a truck similarly sized to the horseboxes i wanted to drive. the C1 is often done in a big van. bonus is i am future proofed should i end up with a really big horsebox :p

dorsetladette

Visit site
I think the theory test is the same for C1 and C. well there are lots of questions about air brake attachments and things I really feel I shouldn't need to know. Unless I'm using the wrong practise tests :(

ROG

Visit site
I think the theory test is the same for C1 and C. well there are lots of questions about air brake attachments and things I really feel I shouldn't need to know. Unless I'm using the wrong practise tests :(
It is exactly the same for both and both use the same air braking systems

The LGV C1 free pre 1997 entitlement was not re-instated when the free B+E was last year

ROG

Visit site
If you are over age 21 then you might as well do C
Under 21s doing C also have to do the initial driver cpc as it replaced the young driver scheme

ROG

Visit site
@ROG Thanks - well over 21 unfortunately :(

The practise tests on the GOV website ask questions about articulated lorry driving?
That is because the Qs cover all LGVs - there is not a separate test for each category
Once LGV theory is passed it covers all LGVs so another theory is not needed if upgrading

ROG

Visit site
Tips - Loose your rear view car mirror now so you have to use both side mirrors
Check both side mirrors and do a blind spot over shoulder check every time before moving off

You will be expected to drive as a generally experienced driver but using the DVSA procedures

Visit site
For 7.5 tonne its class 2. I’ll warn you now that DVLA are VERY slow at the moment and I had my medical and applied for my provisional license back in November and am still waiting for it to be returned so I can book my theory. And I am sitting mine as a career change as well as wanting to be able to drive a horse box! It’s so frustrating!

dorsetladette

Visit site
For 7.5 tonne its class 2. I’ll warn you now that DVLA are VERY slow at the moment and I had my medical and applied for my provisional license back in November and am still waiting for it to be returned so I can book my theory. And I am sitting mine as a career change as well as wanting to be able to drive a horse box! It’s so frustrating!

I did my medical last year and my licence came back quite quickly. I've also just renewed my licence in January and it came back within a couple days, but a friend sent theirs off November time and they received theirs back the same day as I did mine. Hope you get yours back soon.

Visit site
I did my medical last year and my licence came back quite quickly. I've also just renewed my licence in January and it came back within a couple days, but a friend sent theirs off November time and they received theirs back the same day as I did mine. Hope you get yours back soon.

Yes I hope so too! I asked them and they said there was a massive backlog from covid. ??‍♀️

Visit site
When you get it back, get your theory test booked asap. I (wrongly) booked the CPC part of mine and earliest I could get was the end of march and a 45min drive away.

I will be doing. My issue is the medical is only valid for four months and that four months will be up in March so will I have to do it again? It’s not my fault I haven’t had it back and I will questioning them as to who should be paying for this if so as it’s a waste of money to have to pay twice.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I will be doing. My issue is the medical is only valid for four months and that four months will be up in March so will I have to do it again? It’s not my fault I haven’t had it back and I will questioning them as to who should be paying for this if so as it’s a waste of money to have to pay twice.

4 months - is that in order to get your license updated?

I was told I had 2 years to get my tests sorted (passed) once I'd updated my license.

I booked my my theory and hazard perception last night. The earliest I could get was end of April and again a 45min drive.

ROG

Visit site
The 4 months for the D4 is to get the provisional onto the licence
It is not 4 months to get any of the tests passed

HorseMaid

Visit site
I just got my provisional license back today after sending it off a week or two ago Spotty_Pony, so I'd be querying why yours is taking so long! Went straight online and booked the theory for the end of March which is the first date I have off work where there are slots although there were some sooner that I couldn't make.

ROG

Visit site
if after sending off the D2 and D4 forms along with the licence you get a delay then it COULD be that they need to question a medical issue
Or it got lost in the system

View

Visit site
It’s very inconsistent at the moment. I have some straightforward renewals with D4 medical report coming back in a week, others with no medical enquiries are still not back from October.

Provisionals seem to have their own queue and are being turned round very promptly. If it’s been with them for more than 6 weeks, I would ring them for an update.

Visit site
It’s very inconsistent at the moment. I have some straightforward renewals with D4 medical report coming back in a week, others with no medical enquiries are still not back from October.

Provisionals seem to have their own queue and are being turned round very promptly. If it’s been with them for more than 6 weeks, I would ring them for an update.

Ringing them is impossible - they never answer!!