80's kids?

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
International velvet. It was made in 78 but it was the 80s before we got to see it on video.
My cousin and I watched it over and over.
And me, my mum recorded it off the telly and I can't tell you the number of times I watched it! Bought it on DVD about six months ago and it still makes me weep!

I also had Horse and Pony magazine every week or fortnight or whenever it was, although this was probably very late 80's to mid 90's. I had the red binders that you could file them in!

Another thing I used to do (never having a pony of my own until young adult) was to look through the Robinson's catalogue and pick out the stuff I would buy if I had a pony of my own.

Pippity

Visit site
I had the Milton posters on my wall, but lived in hope of Horse & Pony printing a poster of Janet Hunter's Lisnamarrow.

Jodhpurs were all beige. I still remember the thrill of getting my first navy pair.

I 'worked' at a livery yard in return for lessons from the owner, and all horses had legs and tail bandaged when stabled overnight. I suspect I've completely lost the skill now, but back then I was a whizz at bandaging.

Back then, I'd jump 3' without batting an eyelid but was terrified at the thought of the intimidating mysteries of dressage. That's all changed!

meleeka

Visit site
I span the decades 😂 I was horse mad in the 70’s but got my own in 1983 so can relate to a lot of the memories on all the threads.

SEL

Visit site
I'm more of an 80s kid - born in the 70s so just a tiddler for that decade.

I'd forgotten about the win a pony competitions. My friend and I entered that every year. I doubt we were ever in the running but we could dream!! I was very jealous of the girl who rode Freddie.

The 80s were interesting for me because we moved from a little village with hairy ponies that I galloped over the common to Germany. The riding club used a local competition centre so I found myself riding a type of horse / pony so very, very different from anything we'd had in the village. I'd love it now but I think I was a bit over-horsed back then!!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
We all had rubber riding boots, wax jackets and skull caps with chin cups that dripped sweat in the summer.

I left mine next to the heater and the chin cup melted-wasnt allowed a new one though until I fell off in that one :D

all those outdoor clothes such as husky/lavenham jackets that were just not weather proof! and a family day out was going to Sandon Saddlery and part-exing my grown out of riding clothes for newer ones.

I used to read HHO cover to cover and leave the leaflets for Queen Ethelburga's school open all over the house-like on dad's chair. I was a big fan of Ginny Leng and Lucinda Green and proper big gallopy event courses with roads and tracks etc but mostly I loved showjumping, Ryan's Son, Milton, Hugo Simon's horses Gladstone, Apricot D and The Freak, Tigre, Novilheiro etc

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Jodhpurs were all beige. I still remember the thrill of getting my first navy pair.
lol! I had a pair of white breeches as a child, they were cheaper than the beige, found in the bargain bin. It was getting on for 30 years before I had another pair o_O:eek:

yep Milton posters all the way. I voted in a H&P competition and got my name printed on one. Was anyone else in the Milton fan club?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I was born in 1970 so grew up in the 70’s and 80’s so remember that as my horsey era. By the 90’s I was horseless and at uni then starting a career although I did share a horse for awhile mid 90’s. I didn’t own a horse again until I was 31.

As a child I loved Tigre, Penwood Forge Mill and Red Rum and had scrap books full of cuttings out of Horse and Hound. As a teen it was Milton, Ryan’s Son and Boomerang. Many days as a teen in the 80’s spent up at the Yard all day with my packed lunch and 5p coin to use the payphone to ring home to be collected. Singing the latest pop songs with my yard friends such as Hey Mickey and just being silly. Circling all the adverts in H&H for my dream pony/horse. Entering WH Smith come to win a horse and reading Pony magazine from cover to cover every month and looking at all the riding holidays I wished I could go on.

I read every pony book going and had a lot of older ones as my sisters are previous generation and 15 years older than me. So I read all about Pat Smythe and David Broome as well as all the fiction ones. Influenced by all the pony books I got a second hand hacking jacket when I was about 8 and wore it to my riding lessons pre pony but by then clothes were more casual and I probably looked a bit silly :oops:.

There were still jute rugs with rollers and horrid New Zealand rugs but I did get one of the first Lavenhams for my pony which I still have. Coats were Parkas from Millets or posher quilted riding jackets. Jods came in the exciting new colours of black and blue instead of beige. Long riding boots were rubber by Stylo. 80’s saw those horrid chin cups come and thankfully go.

Good horsey times :)

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I dreamed of Queen Ethelburga's too - and left leaflets out hopefully. Bet my parents appreciated that ;)

I didn't think Freddie was a sec A though!
I begged my mum to send me to Queen Ethelburgas. Didn't really appreciate that it cost a squillion pounds a term.

little_critter

Visit site
It was funny, I stopped riding when I was 16 in the mid 90's and chin cups and drawstrings in the top of hats were still around.
When I got back into riding in the late noughties and had to buy a new hat I asked the tack shop owner "what happened to chin cups and drawstrings?" They must have thought I was a dinosaur.
Mind you - where I first learned to ride we had the very old velvet riding hats held on with elastic (god knows how many times they'd been fallen off in)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
It was funny, I stopped riding when I was 16 in the mid 90's and chin cups and drawstrings in the top of hats were still around.
When I got back into riding in the late noughties and had to buy a new hat I asked the tack shop owner "what happened to chin cups and drawstrings?" They must have thought I was a dinosaur.
Mind you - where I first learned to ride we had the very old velvet riding hats held on with elastic (god knows how many times they'd been fallen off in)

This is EXACTLY me lol. I couldn't believe that there were so many rugs, we used to have a Jute and New Zealand...maybe with a blanket underneath lol. Every horse wore shoes, saddles fitted several horses etc. Now I feel like a Dinosaur 🙈🙈🙈😂

Floxie

Visit site
I used to pick all of the Arabs out of the H&P posters and stick them on my wall :)

Me too! I distinctly remember buying a skull cap and wondering where to buy the chin cup :) My mum used to glue a little square of towelling in to soak up the sweat and make it more comfortable..! :eek:

Annagain

Visit site
I was born in 78 but didn't start riding until 87 and didn't get my first pony until the 90s. While I enjoyed riding and loved thehorses, I was never really pony mad away from them. I didn't buy the magazines etc so don't really know what you're all on about apart from the chin cups on jockey skulls and the puffa jackets. I desperately wanted a puffa jacket and never got one. I did have a long wax coat though. It stank after a while.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I desperately wanted a puffa jacket and never got one. I did have a long wax coat though. It stank after a while.
same here! I wasn't allowed a puffa. I had to hang my long wax coat in the shed cos of the pong, spiders liked hiding in the sleeves :(

Pippity

Visit site
This is EXACTLY me lol. I couldn't believe that there were so many rugs, we used to have a Jute and New Zealand...maybe with a blanket underneath lol. Every horse wore shoes, saddles fitted several horses etc. Now I feel like a Dinosaur 🙈🙈🙈😂

And only the very fanciest people had numnahs.