A ‘what would you do?’ thread..

ImmyS

Visit site
So I keep my 3 year old RID gelding just a minute walk from my house. We have access to about 4/5acres, no facilities but am having a shelter and small feed room put up next month. The land is owned by a family member and no formal contract in place but told we can use it indefinitely and he has no plans to sell etc.

I plan to keep Finn there the next couple of years while young and the turnout is perfect but after that I will most likely be looking to move to a yard with facilities to progress further in ridden work.

He is currently turned out with one other horse and then there are horses kept in adjacent field. Finns current field companion will be leaving around mid November and I don’t want him to be alone.

Options are -

1. Buy a companion
2. Rescue a companion
3. By another young horse that I can look to sell on in a couple of years?
4.Offer reduced grass livery but would have to be a fairly casual contract and preferably someone I know as I don’t own the land and can’t guarantee how long it will be available for (not sure if this would be desirable due to insecurity, but would be better for me not having overall responsibility for another horse)

Whilst we can afford it I am a bit concerned about taking on the full responsibility of another horse in case circumstances do change - but then at least I can have control over said horse. I am conscious of Finn’s ‘herd’ chopping and changing and so would prefer a more long term arrangement.

Ahh decisions decisions! I know ultimately only I can really make the decision but just wondered what other people would do or if there are any other options I haven’t thought of?

Annagain

Visit site
I would loan a companion from a reputable rescue. That way, you have full control, are helping a horse in need, can send it back when you move Finn to livery and have the back-up of being able to send it back knowing it will be ok if your circumstances change. A decent rescue should be able to loan you the 'right' horse too i.e. one whose needs match Finn's so you don't have to separate them to feed extra hay to one and not the other etc and it will be happy being alone for a few hours while you and Finn have some fun.

coblets

Visit site
I'd definitely adopt a companion from a rescue that will accept it returning to them, should circumstances change. Think the best ones are WHW and BC. That way you should be able to choose from a variety of horses, without much of a change in initial price, to find one that'll best suit your boy. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about any lying sellers, and you'll of course be making more space for the charity to take in more rescues.

ImmyS

Visit site
I would loan a companion from a reputable rescue. That way, you have full control, are helping a horse in need, can send it back when you move Finn to livery and have the back-up of being able to send it back knowing it will be ok if your circumstances change. A decent rescue should be able to loan you the 'right' horse too i.e. one whose needs match Finn's so you don't have to separate them to feed extra hay to one and not the other etc and it will be happy being alone for a few hours while you and Finn have some fun.

I'd definitely adopt a companion from a rescue that will accept it returning to them, should circumstances change. Think the best ones are WHW and BC. That way you should be able to choose from a variety of horses, without much of a change in initial price, to find one that'll best suit your boy. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about any lying sellers, and you'll of course be making more space for the charity to take in more rescues.

Thank you guys - this is the idea I was leaning towards. I just feel guilty at the idea of taking on a rescue when I might not be able to offer a permanent home. But can offer a lovely home!

Annagain

Visit site
Thank you guys - this is the idea I was leaning towards. I just feel guilty at the idea of taking on a rescue when I might not be able to offer a permanent home. But can offer a lovely home!
Even if you only have him/her two years, that will give the rescue an opportunity to take on two or three others and rehome them in that time so you'll still be doing a lot of good. They might even have a youngster who needs a semi-permanent home until he/she becomes suitable for ridden work in a couple of years and can then be rehomed to a different sort of home.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another vote for rescue :) they don't always go to permanent homes. I've mopped up an extra one to save her going back for her final years when her previous loaner couldn't keep her any more, just because I was in the position to do so... the thing about a loan is it's as permanent as you want it to be. Don't feel bad about that.

Teaboy

Visit site
Yes I’d loan, you could look at the British thoroughbred retraining centre as they get some in that can no longer be ridden and are offered on loan as companions.