A Day In The Life Of A Work Rider - The Hat Silk Saga!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I might try to find a different rainbow one. I'm not going to lie because this one couldn't even have a folded edge (it is a kids hat really!) It kind of felt like I had a multi-coloured condom on my head ...
Look up the shiny tinsel tassels they do for kids cycles.
Neighbour got some and stitched them into the top of a uber bright hat cover for her daughter as a joke.
Looked very bright ?

Annagain

Visit site
I lost my hat silk at the weekend - the wind took it off my skull cap - I may be inspired by some of these options !
I saw a thing on face book last night - a wide, clear, silicon elastic band that fits over your silk (you barely notice it) and holds it in place. I've just bought a new (very dull) silk as the elastic went on my old one but I'd have bought this instead if I'd seen it first.

Visit site
Look up the shiny tinsel tassels they do for kids cycles.
Neighbour got some and stitched them into the top of a uber bright hat cover for her daughter as a joke.
Looked very bright ?

This combined with petal over reach boots would be a sure fire way to have the whole string bolt in different directions ??? I would be totally safe on Borris or Midnight though to be fair! ???

Last edited:

zandp

Visit site
I saw a thing on face book last night - a wide, clear, silicon elastic band that fits over your silk (you barely notice it) and holds it in place. I've just bought a new (very dull) silk as the elastic went on my old one but I'd have bought this instead if I'd seen it first.
I normally wear a hi viz band over it, but am sure that would have gone as well, got to the top of the hill and it disappeared - haven't ridden in weather so windy for ages !

Annagain

Visit site
Mine flew off on a fun ride when Charlie decided to jump about 5' over a 2' fence! My friend was behind me and jumped off to pick it up thankfully or I'd have had to do the whole thing as an egghead. That's when I knew I had to buy a new one but I got a few more months out of it before it really died!

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Elf,
I'm just watching Cheltenham and wondering how trainers go about getting horses ready for things like the Cross country steeple chase (3.40 today) and things like the grand national?
And how does it differ(if it does) from those doing the short races?

Thank you

Visit site
Elf,
I'm just watching Cheltenham and wondering how trainers go about getting horses ready for things like the Cross country steeple chase (3.40 today) and things like the grand national?
And how does it differ(if it does) from those doing the short races?

Thank you

The training doesn't really differ as you still work like for like horses together - no point in putting a Champion Hurdler upsides a Gold Cup horse for a bit of work - but the schooling will. Most yards have or will build their own National and xc like fences. For the Cross Country race some do go and hire Cross Country courses before hand and any horse that hasn't ran in an xc race before has to school over a few of the more obscure fences at Cheltenham a few days before they run just to make sure they get the idea and are safe to jump round.

teapot

Visit site
I love this SO much.

My coach has a nickname for me when I'm riding badly and I have yet to find a hatsilk to suit it, sadly. Now tempted to find THE most garish one just to wind her up :D

Caol Ila

Visit site
I get it. While I was at university as an undergrad, Gypsum was boarded at the uni's barn. I changed my zany collection of galaxy/tie-dye/tiger stripes saddle pads and general disheveled look from a bit of harmless fun (and laziness) into a full-blown campaign when our new barn manager -- hired a month or so before I started my final year -- sent emails to the boarders (liveries in British English) explaining how we must look neat and tidy and professional, and how we were representing the uni equestrian program every time we went out on our horses, even just hacking or schooling, blah, blah, blah. I made the only logical move; I sold off my solid-colored saddle pads and bought more tacky ones. Barn manager couldn't really do anything but seethe quietly, especially as I was a senior, so I would not be asking for a stable there next year anyway.

This photo was taken last year, but not a lot has changed in 15 years.

120959566_337496437318868_8612387861780607993_n.jpg75362444_430887607546911_3467933551737962496_n.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I get it. While I was at university as an undergrad, Gypsum was boarded at the uni's barn. I changed my zany collection of galaxy/tie-dye/tiger stripes saddle pads and general disheveled look from a bit of harmless fun (and laziness) into a full-blown campaign when our new barn manager -- hired a month or so before I started my final year -- sent emails to the boarders (liveries in British English) explaining how we must look neat and tidy and professional, and how we were representing the uni equestrian program every time we went out on our horses, even just hacking or schooling, blah, blah, blah. I made the only logical move; I sold off my solid-colored saddle pads and bought more tacky ones. Barn manager couldn't really do anything but seethe quietly, especially as I was a senior, so I would not be asking for a stable there next year anyway.

This photo was taken last year, but not a lot has changed in 15 years.

View attachment 68090View attachment 68092
I totally understand that! ?
I'm known locally as Bertie Bassett as I'm dressed in various allsorts of colours, including occasionally red breeches with orange, pink or yellow hi viz jacket or waistcoat etc and orange hat cover. With maybe a purple or orange saddle pad.
Nobody can say that they didn't see me ? even when walking up my fields....

Tarragon

Visit site
I have just had to do a bit of research into vegans and riding horses, as I was going to make a comment about the vegan broccoli hat - and realised that it is a bit of a minefield!!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
I totally understand that! ?
I'm known locally as Bertie Bassett as I'm dressed in various allsorts of colours, including occasionally red breeches with orange, pink or yellow hi viz jacket or waistcoat etc and orange hat cover. With maybe a purple or orange saddle pad.
Nobody can say that they didn't see me ? even when walking up my fields....

Nice. The barn director at uni even went so far as specifying that for lessons, you must wear a fitted, collared shirt, leather half chaps or leather boots, tan breeches, and a belt. A belt! I was taking private dressage lessons, and the dressage trainer gave no sh1ts, so I continued on with my lessons wearing hoodies and wellies and of course, tacky saddle pads.

I have just had to do a bit of research into vegans and riding horses, as I was going to make a comment about the vegan broccoli hat - and realised that it is a bit of a minefield!!!

Yeah, that's a strange rabbit hole.