A day of twos - County showing report!

only_me

Visit site
Well, I can definitely say I love my horse!

Once a year we do our “local” county show as it is literally 7 minutes door to door :p This year I decided to enter big bill into the LW hunters, Ladies hunter astride and the open workers which was scheduled at 1m.

So being honest here – both bill and I are a tad rusty at the riding thing let alone actually competing :p Last competition I did was last September, (eventing) and I haven’t jumped a course of jumps since then – so I was most definitely on the rusty side whoops. Luckily Bill had been away at boot camp getting fit while I was doing exams. So at least one of us was fit :eek: I did have a lesson on Tuesday to try and get me back into the way of jumping so I did try :p The lesson was definitely needed!!

First class of the day was the LW hunters, which is a class we don’t expect to do well in normally as is so competitive and full of gorgeous pro horses! Few friends were surprised he was in LW, as thought he was a MW but I think he would be on the lighter side for a MW and he would be better off as being a top end LW than a low end MW. So Bill strutted his stuff and was a bit enthusiastic in changing rein across diagonal – beautiful extended trot, pity not the right class for it :p so because of this I held back a bit in the gallop just in case he decided that this showing lark was excellent fun and took off!
Delighted to be pulled in 2nd and he gave the judge a great ride, very obedient so was delighted to stay in 2nd place! :D

Having to hold in the extended trot!!
DSCN6504_zpsvjo28qzr.jpg

DSCN6467_zpseo9pxqt8.jpg
DSCN6468_zpsjfhobwfk.jpg

DSCN6484_zps9qhke4du.jpg

DSCN6473_zpszmmonkku.jpg

Of course, coming second meant that we had to reappear for the championship, where I did let rip with the gallop! Bill really really enjoyed that bit! Not placed in the championship but considering that the Dublin champion hunter was in the class I never expected too :p
DSCN6471_zpspclpbc8r.jpg

DSCN6500_zpsbnhmbdgu.jpg

DSCN6507_zps75czxyz5.jpg

Then the next class we were in was the ladies hunter astride, where Bill settled much better and was going really well. We were pulled in 3rd in the big class and then the judge rode those that she hadn’t ridden prior to this class. So I was delighted to move up to 2nd place! The judge told me that she really enjoyed her ride earlier on him and he was a lovely ride so I’m over the moon :D
A few pro producers commented on how well Billy was going and were impressed about his movement & manners in the class – especially considering he only does one show a year lol. So I was beaming ear to ear!

DSCN6497_zpsgkvkgaj1.jpg

DSCN6486_zps54abynio.jpg

So after a long, long wait we were in the open workers. I was incredibly nervous. The schedule had 2 heights stated for the class, 1m and 1.15m, so I wasn’t sure which it was going to be and was desperately hoping it would be 1m as I am so so rusty at jumping!!
Turned out to be a full up 1.15m :eek:

Very nervous and full of stage fright not really helped by Billy who came out of the trailer like he owned the place and was as lit up and as fresh as he has ever been!! I then put my brave pants on and really rode him, instead of just sitting like a lemon. So over the moon to only have 2 down in the class (a very good result for us!!) due to me under-riding a tight turn which caused one pole down and billy took the other - a pole over a fallen tree and I’m pretty sure he never saw the pole!!
But I didn’t miss any strides, I sat up and actually rode and used my legs for once, so I am over the moon :D I’m sure people thought I was absolutely crackers coming out of the ring beaming but for me it’s all about the small victories and I’m incredibly pleased with how he jumped and how I rode.
No pictures as unfortunately dad was more nervous than me, if that is possible :p

So an excellent day for me and bill, two 2nds in two big county classes and only having 2 down in a big open WH course after not jumping since last year! Beaming from ear to ear and just so pleased with Billy, he was fab! :D
Thank you for reading, can offer some cream buns fresh from the show as well!

I shall also share a pic of how I found Billy the previous morning – not wanting to get up for work :p
9510B36E-8EC2-48D6-938A-DFBBF1403788_zpsmbpiemya.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He is nice, a LW not a MW. Next time just tweak the fit of the curb, many judges don't like to see it horizontal to the ground or tipped forwards like yours is. I find an elasticated curb helps if the horse is very light in the hand.

An exciting summer ahead for you both.

only_me

Visit site
Lovely report, and super for the rossies in the first two classes! :D I do love the pic with the donks.

Thank you :) he loves his donks!

He is nice, a LW not a MW. Next time just tweak the fit of the curb, many judges don't like to see it horizontal to the ground or tipped forwards like yours is. I find an elasticated curb helps if the horse is very light in the hand.
An exciting summer ahead for you both.

Yes I know he is a LW (which I have always shown him as) but in person he is quite a big guy which is why some people thought he could have been a MW. Interestingly though when I asked on here (including you lol) some thought he could have been a riding horse instead. Shows how deceiving pictures can be :p
I have fitted the curb - any lower in his mouth and it would be banging against his teeth, and when stood up or with no contact on the curb it is as seen in the un-saddled photo. I don't understand what you mean about fitting it more correctly? - all 3 of the professional show riders/producers and my instructor (traditionally trained and is a BHSI) agreed it is fitted correctly. I know I have too much contact on the curb in the photos but I didn't want it flapping as I ride off the bridoon/snaffle rein so had it shortened. I am very much an amateur at showing and don't pretend to be more!
He doesn't tolerate a chain, or any pressure tbh under his chin so I use a loosely fitted leather curb instead.

Hoping to have a great summer thank you :D

Great day for you, he looks to be enjoying himself. Love the donkeys!

Thank you :D He really enjoyed the show! Although got a bit fed up in the ladies with all the standing in line as was a very big class lol.

only_me

Visit site
well done. he's lovely. :)
Thank you :)

Love the pic with the donks :D

Well done! Can't believe how long it's been since we had a report from you!
Thank you! I know it has been ages! Have been itching to get back out, but have entered an event next weekend so fingers crossed we get there :D

Well done! He looks great and I love that last picture with the donkeys, soo cute!

Thank you :D he loves his donks :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think AA is suggesting your curb chain needs to be tighter, the shank shouldn't be able to rotate to the horizontal but that if your horse is curb sensitive an elastic one might work. If it is that rotated you aren't really riding off the snaffle and would be better to have it loose IMO.

Where's the jumping pics!

only_me

Visit site
I think AA is suggesting your curb chain needs to be tighter, the shank shouldn't be able to rotate to the horizontal but that if your horse is curb sensitive an elastic one might work. If it is that rotated you aren't really riding off the snaffle and would be better to have it loose IMO.

Where's the jumping pics!

Ah ok that makes more sense thank you :) i was wondering how i had the curb fitted wrong but if the chain is too loose i get it now!
The leather curb strap is very loose so will try a elastic one to see if that stops it rotating :)

Hoping some friends took pics of the jumping, will post as soon as i can! Dad is far too nervous to take pics of me jumping, we don't have the best record lol

Hornby

Visit site
Excellent report, we have missed the lovely boy, love the pics with donkeys and snoozing. Are you qualified now ( so more competing time?)

only_me

Visit site
Excellent report, we have missed the lovely boy, love the pics with donkeys and snoozing. Are you qualified now ( so more competing time?)

Thanks :) nope, have 3 more years to go! Fingers crossed I'll make it lol. Might have been more worthwhile sticking to physio :p so competing at present is still limited, but luckily bill is just as happy hacking as he is eventing (although he really, really loves the xc!) and is the same to ride after 3 weeks off or if ridden everyday!

He's absolutely gorgeous :)
Thank you :)

PorkChop

Visit site
He is looking fantastic - great pictures - and huge kudos for doing the workers with very little practice, you must have a really good partnership :)

only_me

Visit site
He is looking fantastic - great pictures - and huge kudos for doing the workers with very little practice, you must have a really good partnership :)

Thank you :) we do have a great partnership, although it was verging on the mad to do workers :p
It's hard to believe I've had him over 4 and half years - but it helps I keep him at home and he is basically a very large dog in character!