A plea to those breaking their horses

posie_honey

Visit site
i'm actually jealous of all these lovely offers you've had lol! they sound fab!
i'm sure you'll learn loads from it and it'll stand you in great stead for backing your boy :)
good luck

Sistersedge

Visit site
This is a fab idea and likewise i would like to do the same when it comes to backing and breaking my youngster. I've done bits and pieces in the past but would like to put it all together and make sure things are done properly as i think you only get one chance to get it right, and its for the sake of the horse more than anything. Can anyone suggest where i could do something similar in the Surrey Area? As for the Janet George offer Go For It... Good Luck

Tamba

Visit site
I just broke in my two youngsters... and I can honestly say, I have loved every single minute, theres ups and downs, they have to learn, so you have to be patient, but loving to them. I find horses just love you, and the more you do with them, they love being with you, and I have an incredible bond with my youngsters. One of which I have just started taking out and about. Shes been magic, and what a feeling to know you have got your horse to that stage, its amazing fun.

3Beasties

Visit site
Where right on the Shropshire/Worcestershire border - 10 miles south of Bridgnorth, 10 miles west of Kidderminster, 10 miles east of Ludlow (and 100 miles from anywhere useful! :D)

Nearest town (3 miles away) is Cleobury Mortimer!

Ooooh, you're not very far away then! We hunt with the Ludlow, I keep my horses near Wigmore.

May be in touch if I have any problems backing my youngster :D

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
starting my boy was the best thing I've ever done. I'd always wanted to do it, but never had the confidence or opportunity, but then it all came together, and off we went.I had to do it bareback for want of a saddle, but otherwise things went great.

I read lots, and used the ABC of Breaking Horses, and some Monty Roberts and Kelly Marks books - the ABC is old fashioned, but it really was a bible rightly or wrongly. But to have had the opportunity to work/watch the process being done would have been fab !

Fwiw, my advice is - listen to your horse, be very quiet, gentle but firm, do try "join up" first, and most of all use common sense. Oh and remember baby's tire very quickly so when they get it right, stop on that note.

Keep us posted !!! sm xx

Cedars

Visit site
Woah remind me to log on every day and not leave posts unattended!!!

Firstly, I will be taking JG up on her offer so thank you for all the recommendations.

To the troll slagging her off - when I visit, I will form my own opinion, but its disgusting that you feel its acceptable to come on to an open forum and trash somebody's reputation like that. Particularly when it is somebody who has a livelihood to look after, and who has been so very kind in jumping in and offering me the help even though she's never met me in her life. I hope you feel thoroughly ashamed of yourself and anyone that reads this reads JGs reply and also reads all the great comments about her through other people. I'm sure LindsayH wont mind me saying that she apologised to ME for responding to my post without responding to me - how ridiculous to think that SHE should be the one apologising!!!! Nobody has the right to slag anyone else off and I hope, like the others, you get back under your bridge.

Thank you to everyone else who has been offering me the support and wellwishes - I've decided to show her, so when in to her field armed with a bridle and a bit yesterday, got the bit in her mouth and the bridle on her head with no fuss, havent joined them together because I didnt want to rush her and she was such an angel. Going to carry on just practising putting the bit in her mouth and the bridle separately until she's totally calm. Wish someone had been there with a camera - I was smiling so much you must have been able to see my tonsils!!!!!

Hannah xx

shadowboy

Visit site
Mine are not ready to back yet but they are learning to long rein etc etc and Im not far from JanetGeorge you are wellcome to pop this way too- I have a colt too so you can see how they are handled etc- In fact I have recently advertised for help as it can be difficult to do some tasks on your own!