A plea to those breaking their horses

Cedars

Visit site
Dear all,

I have a 10month old foal, who (obviously in a long time!) I want to be able to break myself. However, I have very little experience, and would like to watch/learn as many horses as possible so that when the time comes I'm as experienced as possible!

I live in Stroud, Glos, but am happy to travel up to about 30/40mins. Am free every day after work and all weekends.

If anyone would be happy to let me stand on the sidelines and watch you, no matter what stage you're at, please let me know! It would be very much appreciated, and I would be happy to help with mucking out etc in payment.

Please reply to this, or PM me!

Thanks,

Hannah x

Nocturnal

Visit site
Hiya. Just a thought, but have you considered ringing round local schooling yards & asking whether you can help out on the weekends, or whenever you have spare time? They may let you observe as they train their youngsters in exchange.:)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I have a 10month old foal, who (obviously in a long time!) I want to be able to break myself. However, I have very little experience, and would like to watch/learn as many horses as possible so that when the time comes I'm as experienced as possible!

I live in Stroud, Glos, but am happy to travel up to about 30/40mins. Am free every day after work and all weekends.

If you can stretch it to an hour's travel (each way)you could see a variety of horses at different stages of backing in one place on a Saturday (my rider has Sunday off so the horses do too.) You could also see a variety of youngsters from newborn foals to 2 year old colts - and how we handle them to ensure they grow upwell mannered and easy to back! And how we cope with ones that other people have failed to back!!

Cedars

Visit site
Ballyboo, I havent but I will do, thank you!

JanetGeorge, I dont mind travelling that distance if it'd be worth it - which it sounds like it does!! Is this your yard? Would you mind having someone nosing around?!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
OP, if you have little experience please can I ask that you get help locally, from wome-one who has experience. I know going and watching others is helpful, but I worry when people with little experience 'go it alone' the out come for both horse and owner is sadly often not a happy one :(

Cedars

Visit site
Everyone has to start somewhere, Yorksg, and I wont do it unless I'm certain I know what Im doing.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I agree that everyone has to start somewhere, BUT an 'apprenticeship' type start is better IMO than trial and error on your own. Learning alongside someone who learnt alongside someone else, is the best possible way to go, both for owner and horse.

touchstone

Visit site
I think it's great that you are looking at others methods and learning as much as possible before you take the task of breaking in your own horse. I think that there are many benefits from breaking yourself, you get to know your horse much better and bonds of trust are formed much more easily. It is when people don't ask questions and rush blindly in that they often encounter difficulties.

I've broken horses professionally in the past and always break my own, and I can honestly say that each horse has been different to work with, and as long as you understand your horse, work patiently and sympathetically with no nonsense and don't ask too much too soon I'm sure you'll be fine. At the end of the day your horse won't know if you've done something 'wrong' and it is a lovely thing to achieve when you start riding out on the horse you started yourself.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I've worked with horses for many years, been riding since I was 5 and would consider myself very experienced. However, I'd never backed anything before or even been involved in the process. I bought a 2 year old over 2 and a half years ago and backed her myself (with some help from a friend) and it all went really well. I too am of the opinion that you gotta start somewhere. If I'd run into 'trouble' at any stage, I would have got some help straight away though.

Berkeley

Visit site
I backed my pony. It took me 18 months with no prior experience. Didn't have much help so succeeded and struggled on my own. I bought lots of books and read everything I could find on the internet, Monty Roberts on Youtube etc. The reason it took me so long is i) I was learning each stage at a time and repeating it for a few months to ensure it was done properly ii) I lost confidence on occasions so I took a break iii) he went through a very disobedient stage so I decided to leave him alone for a while to release the pressure.

There are those who say if you don't know what you are doing then it will cause problems in the future. I disagree. Take it easy, and correct mistakes. If you are really stuck have a pro come out and give you some tips. I had a couple of those sessions (1 hour per session @ £30) just to show me how to work a few things then I would practice it for a while. I don't believe sending away is a quick fix. It is horrendously expensive and plus he may be fine with them but when he comes back to you there's no guarantee it'll work out.

I am having lessons on him every week now as I would with any other horse. He is absolutely marvellous. We did it together, I loved it and would do it again.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
JanetGeorge, I dont mind travelling that distance if it'd be worth it - which it sounds like it does!! Is this your yard? Would you mind having someone nosing around?!

Yep - it's my yard and we love people nosing around! (especially if they bring chocolate cake with them! :D) We generally 'work' about 10 horses a day - from JUST starting the backing process to 4 year olds schooling on, or 'problem' horses. Two new ones in the past two days -a 3 yo TB filly to start backing and a 4 year old ISH that knows NOTHING! Plus the famous H&H 'Spotty' horse (now trotting without bucking). And we'll be starting on a couple of home-bred 3 year olds in the next week,as well as keeping on with schooling the 4 year olds.

Cedars

Visit site
Sorry for the length of time in replying, been at Badders. I'll Pm you JanetGeorge so I dont bore other people with our plans!!

But yes, I agree with everyone and I'm pleased so many people have such lovely stories about backing their own horses and it being so successful! And glad to see so many found professionals helpful without having to send their horses away completely!

Any photos to show me?!

xxx

chestnutmares

New User
Visit site
Hi Flamehead

I personally do not like Janet George's new rider (very conventional and quite hard on the horses) but the French one that for some reason she appears to have demoted is fantastic and his reputation for backing youngsters alone has brought her in a lot of business over the years.

Good luck with your baby

dominobrown

Visit site
Flamehead- by the time your horse is 3 you will know more than most people. I am still relativlely inexperienced when it comes to backing, I have started 3 so far from scratch. It helps a lot if even at your horses age it is handled daily, even just groom, put rugs etc. Also take your time, it doesn't matter if you take ages longreining before you move on, its not a race. At the point yard there is one that was backed in less than a month and it is horrible- it can gallop but doesn't have a clue what the reins are for or your legs.

Last edited:

UnaB

Visit site
Oh, what a shame you werent looking at the beginning of the year. Im only in Tewkesbury and have just broken my mare myself - first time i've ever broken a horse and everything went absolutely perfectly, I was so proud of her! Could have done with someone there for moral support and to take pics!!! :D lol

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I personally do not like Janet George's new rider (very conventional and quite hard on the horses) but the French one that for some reason she appears to have demoted is fantastic and his reputation for backing youngsters alone has brought her in a lot of business over the years.

What bo**ocks!!

1. I agree with you that Olivier is fantastic -but that's where agreement ends! I haven't 'demoted' Olivier - he had surgery recently which meant he couldn't ride for several months and is JUST starting riding again!

2. Obviously, with a dozen horses in work I couldn't be without a rider and Olivier recommended John (who is a very experienced event rider and trainer) to me as a temporary replacement.

3. Olivier and I both watched John work with the horses for over a month before WE agreed he would be a very valuable addition to my team. (And I wouldn't tolerate a rider who was 'hard on the horses'!) While John's 'style' is slightly different from Olivier's, ALL the horses that O. was riding have gone extremely well for John and progressed considerably (as to be expected with the excellent foundations O. put in place!)

4. Once Olivier is fully back to riding, he will be concentrating more on the backers and John will be more on the competition side. They'll share the reschooling horses depending partly who has the most horses to ride at the time, but mainly on which rider is most likely to suit that horse!

I think I know who you are chestnutmares - and if I'm right, you're BANG out of order and not doing Olivier any favours! :rolleyes:

kbsaff

Visit site
What a responsible approach to working with your youngster.
I think it's admirable that you're modest enough to ask around for advice/ experience.

I agree, everyone must start somewhere so don't be put off by people tell you "if you haven't broken a horse before then you should start.
I'd been riding show jumpers all my life before I bought and backed my section D.
I'd never broken a horse in my life and am by no means an expert now. Nothing beats the satisfaction of being complimented on a horwe which you have developed from scratch.

My only advice? Take it slow, don't expect things to happen over night and remember that corners cut now will result in problems later on
Most of all, enjoiy and Good luck.

lindsayH

Visit site
Hi Flamehead

Good luck with your baby

I met Janet, John and Olivier for the first time yeaterday when I went up to see how my spotty boy was doing. I watched John ride several horses, including mine and the last thing I would say is that he's 'hard' on horses. My boy is EXTREMELY sensitive and nervous as he wasn't handled until he was 2 and a half and is naturally a worrier. I sent him there as a last resort after Janet was recommended to me, at 7 years old I had almost given up the idea of ever riding him. I am amazed at the progress they have made, John was very sensitive and quiet with him. Olivier has done all the preparation work and Clyde has clearly bonded with him and looked to him for reassurance. John and Olivier seemed like a fantastic team and worked brilliantly together with Clyde, I would trust both of them equally with any of my horses.

Countrygirl

Visit site
Don't think twice - take Janet up on her offer, opportunities like that do not come along very often and you would learn a huge amount from her. Wish she lived closer to me, there are some people I would pay to go and learn from. The experience will be in invaluable in the future.

Kub

Visit site
flamehead - what a birlliant idea to make sure you know what to do :) I have a rising 3 year old that I'm hoping to break next year, though still unsure if I'll do it myself or not. Luckily, I do have a lovely lady at my yard who knows exactly what she's doing and has broken a lovely dartmoor pony whilst I've been there so I have someone I can ask for help, and I've been riding lots of things and techniques to see if I'd be up to it but your approach sounds like such a great idea, I may even think of borrowing it... Hope you don't mind!

It's a shame I'm in the opposite direction from Janet George otherwise I might see if I could pop over but way to far for me. Let us know how it goes though, I find other people's experiences so useful when deciding what to do with my boy. Good luck :)

ginginandtonic

Visit site
Yorksg we'll agree to disagree. I have many friends that can help if I struggle.

After 25 years of having horses, my (now rising 5) youngster is my first young horse who I have had since weaning. It has been a massive learning curve for me and I researched and got advice and got help where needed and I now have the most amazingly balanced (in mind and body and attitude) horse - he has been brilliant in every aspect and I put that down to a slow steady and well thought out up-bringing to date and I pat myself on the back for that. You'll be fine, and the fact that you're actively looking for advice and experience in advance is a great thing and more people should do that.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
good luck with your youngster, I think you are being incredibly sensible with you approach to it.
I would take Janet George up on her offer, what a great opportunity and if I was closer I would be banging on her door with a big chocolate cake.