A question for the BF Taliban.....

amandap

Visit site
Thanks Oberon. You know I was looking at those ripples (all his hooves are the same), and when you look the bottom inch or so is smooth. I was wondering if that was either when I bought him, and obviously he was moved to different land, or when I changed his diet.
It could also be that the farrier has dressed (rasped) the bottom of the wall. ?

amandap

Visit site
Not stupid at all, variations in hoof wall can often be clearly seen with diet changes significant to that horse. It was just it being at the bottom that made me think of dressing the wall. :)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
Not stupid at all, variations in hoof wall can often be clearly seen with diet changes significant to that horse. It was just it being at the bottom that made me think of dressing the wall. :)

To be fair you're probably right tho, lol. Off to do some research on how much hoof grows every six weeks so I can try and work out how long it takes for the top to get to the bottom! :)

Oberon

Visit site
The first inch and a half of growth of wall from the coronet band is pure and not yet subject to mechanical forces.

If you look at that and imagine the angle down - that is the true, well connected wall that the horse wants to grow.

Anything outside of that imaginary angle, is not well connected and is flared.

Farriers will 'dress' the outside wall, so you have to fill any missing material in with your imagination to see how flared the wall is.

I'm not suggesting your horse is flared as I can't tell without side pics, but it's trick to read the hoof.

Oberon

Visit site
To be fair you're probably right tho, lol. Off to do some research on how much hoof grows every six weeks so I can try and work out how long it takes for the top to get to the bottom! :)

It's different with BF horses - they grow much quicker due to improved circulation and ground stimulation.