A typical lockdown puppy....

Landcruiser

Visit site
Please can you tell me if you know what type of cross he is? He is very very like my brothers dog who was a abused puppy he rescued from vile people. Thankyou ps you dog is lovely
He's a sproodle. Mom was a liver and white springer, dad was a pathetic looking apricot miniature poodle. I actually thought twice about having one of the pups when the sire was brought out, so glad we went ahead because he's a cracker

Visit site
He's a sproodle. Mom was a liver and white springer, dad was a pathetic looking apricot miniature poodle. I actually thought twice about having one of the pups when the sire was brought out, so glad we went ahead because he's a cracker
My brothers boy is Mini poodle size so I wonder if he could possibly be the same, I’d inbox you a picture but I don’t know how. Tito is the soppiest cuddliest loveliest boy ever when he has got to know you, but if he doesn’t like someone he goes full on aggressive snarl and bark. He hates men in hi viz and also in Royal Mail uniforms. He even barks a women in hi viz but never women in plain clothes

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Even though it’s my thread, I still feel a bit hypocritical as although I did my research and put in soooo much work, I still have a dog with challenges. The amount of effort I put in I ought to have the perfect dog!
Don't beat yourself up, BBP. We know how hard you have worked with him. He is what he is and all respect to you for making him the best he can be. Many people would have given up.

Ditto Skinnydipper.

A sensible/suitable dog owner is more likely to have a similar dog, but more likely isn't the same as always. Sometimes the problem actually is at the dog's end of the leash.
Unscrupulous breeders who uses breeding animals with unsuitable temperament does exist. Besides, in rare cases perhaps nature's lottery is to blame, but regardless of the cause, even the most suitable owner can't always fix/manage a dog with congenital temperamental problems.

And neither nature nor nurture is always a guarantee for that a dog won't react negatively to stuff which happens outside our control.
So sometimes, like in BBP's case, a suitable/sensible owner can still end up with a dog with difficult challenges/problems.

Clodagh

Visit site
I met a classic lock down pup on yesterdays walk, but all credit to the owner she was really trying. And doing well, he was an 8 month old collie, red and while, blue eyes, absolutely beautiful. She had him off lead and he came well when she called him and sat down on her feet (then on a lead) while we talked so I told her she was doing great. She said how hard it was, and she really wanted to take him to training but it was all shut and she couldn't really get on with you tube tutorials.
I think, on the whole, he'll be OK. I hope so, she obviously loved him.

Birker2020

Visit site
The first part of your post speaks volumes; she doesn't want a dog that gets dirty of sheds hair. Hmmmm that's what dogs do, it's a fact of life. Just because it's a 'poo' won't miraculously make it super clean :)

It's so very sad but these lockdown pups and dogs must be doing OK because rescues are fairly empty at the moment, as are the stray kennels. At least in this neck of the woods they are but only time will tell how long that will last when things get back to 'normal' next year.

Clodagh - that's very sad. Sad for the couple but also sad for the dog because he just sounds frustrated and not living his best life. They probably need to give him up now before the situation gets much worse and they get really hurt. Poodles are highly intelligent dogs and combined with the idiocy of some springers, it's a recipe for disaster, just like it is with some cockerpoos.
Already Dogs Trust have a new advert about rehoming Covid Dogs. https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/changethetale/

1614778445944.pngI feel so sad for Bonzo found a happy home and Angelica and Pippa were rehomed together.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
pitballs are not an option in this country

Pitballs?

Anyway, I'm not sure Lucasnoel posted on the right thread. The question on this thread is not about choosing to buy a male or female dog, without about lockdown leading to more people buying unsuitable dogs.
But by the way, last I heard, in general neutered females lives longer than male dogs.

And, regardless if Pitbulls is banned in the country you live in or not, regardless if it's lockdown or not, it would be very difficult for anyone to convince me that whether a Pitbull is red or blue nosed would have anything to do with if they're a suitable breed for a person to own or not.

Birker2020

Visit site
Just had a nose on the Dogs Trust. I’m not a dog person and prefer cats but I was surprised how many times it says homes mustn’t have any visiting children ?
Yes it noticed that too. I think it's sad that dogs have to have these labels thus lessening their chances of a successful rehoming. I think it's a bit of arse covering to be honest, on the part of the Dogs Trust.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
this is my lockdown puppy, a terrier mix who so far has been pretty good. even though my other terrier is only 3 1/2, i had forgotten how much hard work a puppy is and i have had dogs all of my life. so many people these days seem to have no idea how much work even an easy puppy is so to buy a designer dog with health issues as well must be a nightmare and there are breeders who only see the money and are not bothered that the dogs cant breathe or have trouble walking...it would be nice if potential dog and horse owners had to pass a test before being allowed to, never going to happen but would be a good idea...ears now up.jpg

DressageCob

Visit site

Birker2020

Visit site
I wish I hadn't read that. Poor Bonzo. He must have been distraught that his human wouldn't wake and there was nothing he could do. I'm glad he was found. I hope he has a new home for his final years.
I know it breaks your heart. However his 'story' will be sure to pull on heart strings and he will be rehomed quickly I can bet! I think the better 'angle' they can get on these rescue dogs the better although it's sad for them.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
this is my lockdown puppy, a terrier mix who so far has been pretty good. even though my other terrier is only 3 1/2, i had forgotten how much hard work a puppy is and i have had dogs all of my life. so many people these days seem to have no idea how much work even an easy puppy is so to buy a designer dog with health issues as well must be a nightmare and there are breeders who only see the money and are not bothered that the dogs cant breathe or have trouble walking...it would be nice if potential dog and horse owners had to pass a test before being allowed to, never going to happen but would be a good idea...View attachment 67109
Oh ?

[139672]

Visit site
So sad. A friend of mine has wanted a dog for about 4 years. She started a new job about 2years ago, working from home all the time. She adores my dog Teddy, toy poodle, but we discussed different breeds and their needs. I explained about their coat, grooming and clipping. I clip and trim Teddy’s coat myself which saves a lot of money. She already has a cat so she wasn’t bothered about hair and she didn’t want a high energy breed that needed too long a walk each day. We discussed different breeds and I suggested she do lots of research on the breeds and maybe look at a few FB groups. She now has a 3month old d***shund and is getting on really well. She arranged 121 training as well. Teddy and I are looking forward to meeting them once restrictions allow ?. Credit to my friend, she listened to all my advice and what we talked about. She does like to have two holidays abroad each year and I’ve said that, provided our dogs get on well together (I wouldn’t leave them together alone even if they get on well) I’ll look after her dog when she goes on holiday. Love a happy ending ?

Birker2020

Visit site
Have you heard their radio ad? I wasn't expecting it and it's pretty powerful!
Yes, sorry it was the radio ad I was referring to.

Must be heartbreaking for owners but most of it is due to lack of foresight, i.e. if I can no longer work from home what will happen to the dog I have rehomed? I know that things can happen at the best of times that are unexpected and put you in a quandry about 'what to do about the dog', my partner had to go into hospital and I said to my boss I either took my dog into work for a couple of weeks or I didn't come into work. She came in to our site offices every day and lay under my desk for three weeks. Not much of a life for her, but what else could I have done?

I would have thought that prior to rehoming a dog this was a question that any possible adoptee would have asked themseleves.

And certainly the rehoming centres have an obligation to ask this question prior to relinquishing their ownership. It's obvious that people would have to return to work at some point.

I know it's different if people are losing their jobs, my heart goes out to them in that situation.

Smitty

Visit site
The people 4 doors down from me have managed to conceal their lock down puppy from me for 6 weeks!! It is a JR x Whippet. A friend of theirs 10 miles away bred it. I am hoping they get sick of it - I want it... ?

Oh dear. This last few days I have spent a good deal of time in my garden and have been very aware of a distressed howling that lasts up to a hour from a few doors down. It sounds to me as though it's coming from outside. I wonder if the lockdown puppy is now locked out ?.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
A dog I haven't seen since January, who's owner I told (among other things) to get him out and about and expose him to lots of different things, feed only from the hand/pocket, to basically control every aspect of his life because he was extremely reactive and insecure, almost had a chunk out of my arse yesterday when my back was turned.
Bought from a farm, parents seen 'in cages', no papers, was the only survivor of his litter apparently, and now potentially an absolute danger at just nine months old.
And on paper, not an unintelligent owner.
(The same advice was given as was in January, recieved as if revelatory).

Clodagh

Visit site
Oh dear. This last few days I have spent a good deal of time in my garden and have been very aware of a distressed howling that lasts up to a hour from a few doors down. It sounds to me as though it's coming from outside. I wonder if the lockdown puppy is now locked out ?.
Oh that is so sad. Maybe he can be yours one day...

Smitty

Visit site
Best go ask them

Well, yesterday I saw his neighbour having a conversation on the street with him. Will ask him if he has heard anything. Certainly the people at the end of our terrace have heard him howl for the last 5 days and say it sounds as though it's been shut in garden. They said never seen it walked (I have, twice, but maybe they walk it in middle of night!) and said it was always being played with in garden at first but not seen it for ages.

Will ask how they are getting on with him at earliest opportunity. Lady at end of terrace is going to tactfully suggest playing fields over the road for exercise ?