A weekend of two halves - double dressage! Photos!

catembi

Visit site
The highs and lows of horses can be summed up in this one weekend! Luckily the low came first!

I have now had Cody for about 3 months, I am *still* having planning issues with getting an arena at home so we have been whizzing about doing clinics etc & started competing low level sj. So far, we have competed up to about 70 cm. This weekend was our first ever dressage comp, a local walk-trot test. We arrived (somewhere we've jumped a few times), it was tipping it down, himself was NOT impressed. We had a walk around, and the first time I asked for trot, he stuck his head down, shot sideways & it was all downhill from there really. He is normally super-chilled, so when the controls appear to have been randomly reprogrammed, I am at a loss. So every time I asked him to do something, he did something *else* - threatened to rear, turned in the wrong direction etc. I thought it would probably be better to get off & w/d, but instead went for a walk around the lorry park, then just took him straight in.

It was pretty much a disaster - spooking at the boards & flowers, trying to nap, randomly exploding, but we got round and there was the odd fleeting second of good work. Three positives from the whole thing: 1) I didn't fall off (despite being thoughtfully provided with plenty of opportunities) 2) I remembered the test and 3) my plaits looked good! There are photos but quite bad ones as eldery o/h is not that good on the iPhone.

I was quite despondent afterwards, wondering if my 5 yo was turning into an unrideable monster. I bought him as he's v laid back, and I really can't be doing with sharp horses. It is especially tricky without a school as I can't lunge etc. We also had a similar performance last time we jumped there. So when I saw a dr clinic near me today, I leapt at it!

Tipping it down again, & v luckily Cody behaved just the same as he did yesterday - spooking, threatening to rear, steering going haywire etc. Trainer wasn't phased, said to put him on a circle right in the middle, away from the 'spooky' edges - and within minutes, and without me doing anything, he relaxed, wound his neck in & was perfectly rideable. He did some really, really nice work & it's probably the best he's *ever* gone! I am so pleased with him!

I have also booked a lesson at the spooky venue for mid-week to see if we can crack that one as well. I am just having the best time imaginable trundling about in my little lorry doing all sorts of things!Cody 1.JPGCody 1.JPGCody 2.JPGCody 2.JPGCody 3.JPGCody 4.JPGCody 5.JPGCody 5.JPGCody 6.JPGCody 7.JPG

Cody 3.JPGCody 4.JPGCody 6.JPGCody 8.JPGCody 8.JPG

Fiona

Visit site
He's so cute.....

My two ponies are spooky an new venues too, and random things like flowers outside dressage arenas..

Fiona

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
OMG the rain you must have had. Been clear sunshine all weekend here, amazing the difference.
Sounds like a really productive weekend despite the wobble. So pleased you're enjoying getting out and about with him.

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds like an educational trip out then. I’m similar in a way, my boy is v laid back and generally v rideable. So on the rare occasions he’s not, I struggled to know what to do at the time. Tips from my ins afterwards and practice really helped. I find riding v counter intuitive too, I tend to do the exact opposite of what I *should* do!

catembi

Visit site
I am the same, Bernster! I can cope with, if x happens, do y. But then if I do y and the opposite result happens to what I was expecting, then I’m, errrm...now what...???!!!!!

SEL

Visit site
So you've found out your horse is a fair weather competitor then!!! At least you now know what to expect on off days and it won't be so tricky to handle next time.

I used to have one that could only go sideways in rain and as for hail...... well your point about plenty of opportunities for an unplanned dismount spring to mind :oops: He just decided to turn his bum into the bad weather - at speed and without warning me.

SpringArising

Visit site
Your joy of getting out and about is really infectious! I love the pics. Also it might be an illusion but your saddle looks like it could do with being a few inches farther back.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The pictures look good glad he got over his wobble, it could have been a combo of spooky place and heavy rain, one of my horses will not work in heavy rain he spooks and tries to spin round when it blows in his face and he will banana his body according to which way the rain is coming, it makes for some interesting moves not good for dressage though :rolleyes:

j1ffy

Visit site
I like your proactive attitude to sorting the issue - great that you didn't let it fester and give yourself time to worry about it. He sounds (and looks) lovely so I'm sure you'll crack it. We do expect a lot of horses, don't we? Going to scary places in awful weather, dealing with our nerves and hang-ups (not saying you have any, but I certainly do!). It sounds like you have a good plan to get on track again :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm another in the "my horse is normally so zen, when she isn't it comes as a bit of a shock" camp. It means she can be doing something very (very!) trivial and I'll be reacting like it's the end of the world!

Photos look grand. QHxs are epic :D

catembi

Visit site
We have part 2 of the rectification plan this evening...lesson at the spooky venue... On the one hand, the weather is exactly wrong for it because it’s v blowy which I don’t like, but on the other hand, it’s perfect as the idea is for him to act up so I can learn what to do... Eeepp, big knee rolls and pommel grab handle at the ready...!

Someone said about the saddle possibly being too far forward. I had a look on Monday and it seems to be sitting behind his shoulder. However it’s only 16.5” as I am 5 ft 1 so perhaps that makes it look wrong? I will ask in my next dr lesson. (We are jumping later.)

catembi

Visit site
Aaarrrgghhh, we went back to the self-same venue where we had a meltdown at the w'end...and he was super chilled & didn't put a foot wrong. Didn't look at anything, not even the scarey horse-eating log in the corner (he hates logs), buckled down & got on with it. Literally did ***nothing*** wrong! Oh well, we are back there jumping on Sunday & then having another bash at a dressage comp there the week after, so hopefully it (whatever 'it' was...) will be fully out of his system! Apparently several horses were being t*ts at the w'end (driving rain), & someone fell off between entering the arena & walking past C, so it wasn't just us!

Photos if interested...

Oh...oh...and I was looking at his passport when I got in...and today's his birthday! Happy 6th b'day, Cody! I found him some carrots.

Cody 1.JPGCody 2.JPGCody 3.JPGCody 4.JPGCody 5.JPGCody 6.JPG