A WWYD thread

Goldenstar

Visit site
This. Sorry, but the school's attitude stinks. So many who would give her a chance. She could well suit me as an adult returner confident on the ground.
She might or she might not and become worse be passed about and have heavens know what inflicted on her then everybody would saying how terrible the school passed her on in the first place .

Mule

Visit site
Personally I think some people are being too harsh here with the OP. It is not their horse and they don’t get the final say. If the school as it’s owner decide it’s to be PTS then nobody is going to change that.

We may not like it but it’s their decision not the OPs. The horse was bought to do a job. For us hobby riders this kind of mindset is horrid looking but for businesses it’s the most business savvy way of looking at things.

I would much rather people and Businesses were this straight forwards, rather than the folks that just want attention and weep and wring hands their publicly over a decision that really wasn’t all that hard for Them just for the attention.

OP I hope you can help this wee mare, she does sound like a private home would be better for her but I totally get your feeling of helplessness as she’s not yours to decide a future on, fingers crossed all round.
I know what you mean, businesses are more practical than hobby riders. My post wasn't really for the owners, it was more for anyone reading the thread who could find the information helpful.

A quick end isn't the worst thing that can happen to a horse but I can imagine how hard it is for the op to watch.

I was taken aback when the riding school I learned to ride at sold a lovely tempered horse for slaughter 😳 (He was one of those really affectionate types). He was lame and wasn't going to get better but I still found it hard to envision someone eating him😮

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d imagine in a one to one situation the stable or on ground issues would almost completely disappear. In my experience often horses struggling in that kind of environment thrive with one to one care.

sollimum

Visit site
Fools Mum. I appreciate that this is out of your hands really as the school have made their decision and you have already received an offer to rehome. I am in Hampshire, so not too far from Dorset and our ponies are kept at home, so would be in a position to rehome your mare if needed. We are up very high here, although near some crop fields and I have experience of head shaking. Do let me know, I can help, we have cobs so I am used to handling them.

redapple

Visit site
Hmm pts does seem rather drastic for the behaviors you're describing. Is selling/full loan completely out the question? Seems like she might make someone very happy. I had a mare on loan that would turn and threaten/kick/bite/charge in the stable intermittently (fine for weeks and then shed try and pin you against the wall etc) who I learnt to handle and had some amazing times with. She was sold from a riding school as unsuitable for them and now her owner has had her 15 years and got her to medium level dressage (you would never know she could move if you saw her in the field or hacking!).

Fools Motto

Visit site
I tried.
Sadly to no effect. She will be pts on friday I believe. I've got a couple of days off, so said my goodbyes. I rode her yesterday and had a very effectionate cuddle today. I don't know how or why she was like she was today, but she was soft and truly lovely. Makes it worse doesn't it?

chaps89

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that.
She will know no different though, and whilst a change in scenery may have helped, it also may not have done and could just have caused her further stress. This way at least there is no danger of her falling on hard times.
I know that doesn't make it any easier for you necessarily, as it's always a hard decision and more so if it's not in your hands and there could have been more options explored but hopefully you can take comfort from that in the future.

Mule

Visit site
I tried.
Sadly to no effect. She will be pts on friday I believe. I've got a couple of days off, so said my goodbyes. I rode her yesterday and had a very effectionate cuddle today. I don't know how or why she was like she was today, but she was soft and truly lovely. Makes it worse doesn't it?
I'm sorry. It's hard. You tried anyway, there's a lot to be said for that.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I tried.

You tried your best for her. As others have said she will know no different and at least her future is secure now. She is lucky to have someone like you to love her and enjoy her at the end. Hugs OP xx

ihatework

Visit site
I know what you mean, businesses are more practical than hobby riders. My post wasn't really for the owners, it was more for anyone reading the thread who could find the information helpful.

A quick end isn't the worst thing that can happen to a horse but I can imagine how hard it is for the op to watch.

I was taken aback when the riding school I learned to ride at sold a lovely tempered horse for slaughter 😳 (He was one of those really affectionate types). He was lame and wasn't going to get better but I still found it hard to envision someone eating him😮

I once knew someone who sent their first event horse to get them to Advanced level to slaughter when he was too lame to compete any more. This was a long time ago and I bump into them now and again and can barely bring myself to speak to them.

OP I’m sorry it hasn’t worked out better for the mare but sounds like she is in a good state at the moment so at least she will go feeling good and knowing no different.

TPO

Visit site
So sorry for OP.

As a business decision it's going to cost the school quite a bit of money to pts and have the body uplifted. If there is an experienced home that is genuinely in the position to regime the pony, and perhaps agree to pts if mare doesn't improve next summer, then it makes more business sense to give the money awaybe it a loan or £1 for ownership arrangement.

Perhaps if anyone is in a position to collect the mare today/tomorrow morning then the OP could perhaps put that person in touch with the decision making management at the school?

Hugs for OP, can t be easy at all :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So sorry for OP.

As a business decision it's going to cost the school quite a bit of money to pts and have the body uplifted. If there is an experienced home that is genuinely in the position to regime the pony, and perhaps agree to pts if mare doesn't improve next summer, then it makes more business sense to give the money awaybe it a loan or £1 for ownership arrangement.

Perhaps if anyone is in a position to collect the mare today/tomorrow morning then the OP could perhaps put that person in touch with the decision making management at the school?

Hugs for OP, can t be easy at all :(

It does seem a rather odd decision for a business to make.

sollimum

Visit site
I was happy to do so. However, the school has made their decision. Thank you Fools Motto for trying to do the best by her. If you think about it, the school probably believes that she was passed on to them over the winter as a HS and are trying to ensure that this does not happen again. A horrible position for all to be in, I am just sad that I cannot help her.