Absolutely furious :(

thatsmygirl

Visit site
You have been very rude towards the other riders horse which is not on really.
Did you actually state before the ride that your horse can't trot??
If not I wouldn't expect to go and whole ride without trotting, I ride out with people and yes I know some of them have issues but as they aren't my horses I don't know the ins and outs and would expect the rider to speak up if there was a problem. So in my eyes the rider is at fault unless you make it perfectly clear before hand to the other lady

hihosilver

Visit site
This is a ridiculous post! OP you sound very bitter to me and is it necessary to be so nasty about the women's horse? you are really overreacting-horse ok so move on and next time don't be so rude. You are supposed to be a horse lover.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I do know what you mean - but everyone has different personalities and if the lead woman is a domineering character, perhaps the rider felt she couldn't say anything?

Without meaning to sound harsh, if the rider couldn't speak up for the welfare of my horse and actively went along with something that she knew would be to the horse's detriment she wouldn't be riding my horse for very long!

I get that some people are more outspoken the others but this was simply a case of saying "no thanks, we're under vets orders not to trot on the road" and hardly likely to result in an argument.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I think you are cross with the wrong person here. It isn't the livery's responsibility to remember your horse's capabilities, it IS your riders. I'd be furious to find out my rider had trotted my horse on the road if there was a vet telling me it shouldn't happen. No blame lies with the bolshy livery at all IMO. If your rider can't speak up for the horse then they shouldn't be unsupervised.

I do hope he is ok!

This. So the rider trotted off, bit rude yes but not really enough for your rather nasty rant about her. Even on my youngster I expect her to listen to me and not the horse in front. Your sharer should have continued to walk as per your instructions and let the other woman do whatever. If she or your horse cannot do this, then that is a rider/training issue maybe.

Spotsrock

Visit site
what does the other livery's horse being bargy, fat, lazy and rude have anything to do with this? surely its not the livery's horse's fault so why are you being so rude yourself towards him? He's probably this lady's pride and joy the same way your horse is to you. You're coming across as a bit petulant and spiteful writing in such a way.[/QUOTE

this tbh

merlinsquest

Visit site
Actually I agree with the others. I would have said to the other riders before I left that I was unable to trot, its not really fair to expect everyone else to walk. But should this situation have arisen I would have just said that no I couldn't trot. The lady could then decide whether to go on ahead or walk with me. I also think that its irrelevant if the horse in the OP's opinion is bargey or rude, my pony is forever in my pocket for a treat which as her owner, I don't mind. I wouldn't expect people to post on here about how terrible that is.

I understand that the OP has put a whole load of effort in to getting her horse sound, but that isn't the centre of everyone elses world & IMO the rider was responsible for setting the ground rules before they set off. You cannot expect everyone else to micro manage their riding just because you have to.

Rouletterose

Visit site
Simple answer is to ride your horse yourself? If you have had that much anxiety/stress with his unsoundness issue and it's been so difficult getting him back on track, why on earth do you let someone else ride him?

My TB ex racehorse has had a few issue through the summer, now thank goodness fine again, I am meticulous about what he can do and where he goes and on what ground, and it's only ever me that rides him.

I would never risk letting someone else take him out.

Spring Feather

Visit site
For anyone who has spent months and months of heartache trying to get a horse sound, it is quite upsetting to have a setback that could have been prevented.
Even more reason to make darned sure that the rider has your horse's well-being is paramount in their mind. If the rider cannot take the correct care of the horse then the owner should be relieving them of their riding duties forthwith.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Blimey!

I'm sorry, but I stand behind everything I said. Mare is fat and lazy - by owner's admission. She is rude and bargey. I know this because I turned her out every morning for a year - for free - and she nearly had me on the floor on several occasions (and I own a spooky, silly, quirky 16.3hh nutjob - and he's never once ripped the headcollar out of my hand or wiped me up a stable wall and said mare has done so more than once).

I'm still cross . . . but I will get over it. But I still stand by my indignation. With hindsight, the person I blame is actually not the livery (although she pisses me off for other reasons), nor N, it's me. I had already decided that Pops hacking with her mare wasn't a good idea for multiple reasons . . . so going against what I had already decided (for reasons I don't want to go into here) is actually my fault. Lesson learned. It will never happen again.

P

flirtygerty

Visit site
Slight over reaction?!
All your rider needed to do was call out 'no thanks'

People do overeact when it comes to their beloved horses, I came home to find my lad fully tacked up, reins trailing in the paddock we used as a school, daughter, friend and boyfriend chatting in the yard, I took my lad to the yard, bellowing as I went, NEVER EVER LEAVE MY HORSE LIKE THIS AGAIN, turns out boyfriend had been riding, not used to horses and didn't know any better, but my daughter did, told boyfriend why you don't leave a horse loose ,tacked up I was beyond furious, just as I was when my rider ignored instructions to walk for a while, causing all my horses to end up lame by riders impatience, explained you wouldn't run a marathon without getting fit first, rider didn't listen, doesn't ride for me now, IMO, OP has every right to be furious

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't see what the other livery's horse being fat and bolshy has to do with it, nor that the owner is scared to ride her horse and wants company. Your rider ought to have said a simple polite no when asked if she wanted to trot. Why slag off the livery and her horse?!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I presume N didn't say no then?

I see no reason why anyone had to follow the lead rider in the described situation, if she hadn't waited for an answer just don't trot surely!?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You should be angry with your rider. She should have said no to trotting and let the other woman go off into the sunset.

I completely agree.

I like you PS, I absolutely do - but the only person at fault here is the rider you entrust with your horse.

Re-habing can be tricky and we have to 100% trust our rider. If we can't, then the only option is to do it ourselves. Sorry.

Spring Feather

Visit site
With hindsight, the person I blame is actually not the livery (although she pisses me off for other reasons), nor N, it's me.

So 'N' did not have clear instruction *not* to trot your horse on the road then? If you did not stress that to 'N' then yes you do need to accept the blame. If however you did, then 'N' most certainly does not have any concern for your horse and is obviously not responsible enough to be left in charge of your horse.

PS. Forget the livery. No one sensible here is interested in how awful she is or how ugly, fat, crap her horse is; that is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think that PS was probably just upset and cross generally, and simply lashed out at the person she likes least. Loads of us have probably done it at some point. Just a shame it was slightly in public. You have to post when you're calm or sometimes you pay the price for a rant!

Ladyinred

Visit site
I am totally on the side of the OP. We do not trot on the roads.. end of. Our roads are slippery and also rat runs, so it doesn't happen apart from a half dozen strides to get out of the way. Other people have frequently ignored this until there is only one person left who daughter will ride with.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
With hindsight, the person I blame is actually not the livery (although she pisses me off for other reasons), nor N, it's me. I had already decided that Pops hacking with her mare wasn't a good idea for multiple reasons . . . so going against what I had already decided (for reasons I don't want to go into here) is actually my fault. Lesson learned. It will never happen again.

P

Good post, often reflection on an event can change a view :)

Moya_999

Visit site
I am with OP on this one, at a yard most people know what is going on and when a horse is on restricted exercise.. My horse is on walk and trot exercise at the moment everyone I hack out with says how much trotting on the road (yes the road ... gasp shock... at vets instructions). There are times when normally in full work when you have to trot on the roads, otherwise I try and avoid unless a slow trot never hammering along.

When you hack out with someone its the rider that must speak up if the leader says trot off!!! they are the one in charge of the horse and responsible for upholding the requests of the owner. OP already said they knew about the Sidebones and Navicular.

I don't think the OP over reacted at all, and so what its on this forum, there are enough rants from other people so why can't she !!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I do know what you mean - but everyone has different personalities and if the lead woman is a domineering character, perhaps the rider felt she couldn't say anything?

I am with OP on this one, at a yard most people know what is going on and when a horse is on restricted exercise.. My horse is on walk and trot exercise at the moment everyone I hack out with says how much trotting on the road (yes the road ... gasp shock... at vets instructions). There are times when normally in full work when you have to trot on the roads, otherwise I try and avoid unless a slow trot never hammering along.

When you hack out with someone its the rider that must speak up if the leader says trot off!!! they are the one in charge of the horse and responsible for upholding the requests of the owner. OP already said they knew about the Sidebones and Navicular.

I don't think the OP over reacted at all, and so what its on this forum, there are enough rants from other people so why can't she !!

I think the trouble is the OP solely blamed the other livery rather than place any blame on the person riding her horse.

It is not my job to know the exercise requirements of every horse I ride out with. As an adult I expect whoever I ride with to be capable of saying what they do or don't want to do.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think that PS was probably just upset and cross generally, and simply lashed out at the person she likes least. Loads of us have probably done it at some point. Just a shame it was slightly in public. You have to post when you're calm or sometimes you pay the price for a rant!

Yea, the livery sounds like a numpty, but this isn't really her fault. I'm not condemning PS for going off on one though!

Hope the handsome chap is OK.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yup I'd be annoyed if it were my horse with the same issues. Just don't think it would have been with another livery.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hey, we've all had our rants!

I like PolarSkye and generally agree with her sentiments on most things, but here, I gotta say, her rider needs to be more assertive. Either say before you go out, "Hey, dude, just remember he's not allowed to trot on the roads," which would be ideal, or at least respond to "Shall we trot?" with, "Uh, lets not, 'cause this horse is on rehab." It's not even super confrontational.

Moya_999

Visit site
I think the trouble is the OP solely blamed the other livery rather than place any blame on the person riding her horse.

It is not my job to know the exercise requirements of every horse I ride out with. As an adult I expect whoever I ride with to be capable of saying what they do or don't want to do.

Come of it, it's one thing when someone chooses not to trot but when a horse has an old ailment/ injury the yard knows about it. Owners talk and discuss ailments, surely you're not telling me your yard all go around not talking and discussing injuries etc??

Well then I thank the lord I am at my yard, Well here we all know when someone's horse is on restricted exercise so we don't need to ask (unless new injury happened and we did not hear or were not around)and when we hack out with someone who's horse is limited, we ask first at what stage of trotting/walking there at, but then this is a very friendly yard where we all see each other socially as well as on the yard and spend time chatting daily. We all need a baby sitter at one time with an injured horse so we accommodate when we have too, and no one here ever gets R C about it.

Last edited:

Echo Bravo

Visit site
^^^ You are so wrong, not every livery talks to the others, as is the case of wwyd livery yard and then it depends how big is your livery yard, some are 2-10 horses other from 15-50 so does everyone know about your horse?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I do hope your horse is OK, but I too would not be blaming the livery. I appreciate that you are now blaming yourself, but TBH this rider "N" would not be riding my horse again, not without a serious conversation at least.

I do hope the other livery is not a "lurker" on HHO, as if that were me I would be mortified, firstly for being blamed for possibly injuring a horse, and secondly for having my horse abused.

I would have a good sleep, and then re-read this thread. A lot of people respect you, and many of them are disagreeing with you.

Horses, to be enjoyed, and yes, protected too. :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Come of it, it's one thing when someone chooses not to trot but when a horse has an old ailment/ injury the yard knows about it. Owners talk and discuss ailments, surely you're not telling me your yard all go around not talking and discussing injuries etc??

Well then I thank the lord I am at my yard, Well here we all know when someone's horse is on restricted exercise so we don't need to ask (unless new injury happened and we did not hear or were not around)and when we hack out with someone who's horse is limited, we ask first at what stage of trotting/walking there at, but then this is a very friendly yard where we all see each other socially as well as on the yard and spend time chatting daily. We all need a baby sitter at one time with an injured horse so we accommodate when we have too, and no one here ever gets R C about it.

I go to the stables to look after my horse not worry myself with other people's issues and ailments.

I'm not for one second saying that I don't take into account the needs of any horse that's being ridden out with me but quite frankly I would expect the rider/owner to pipe up and say something if too much was being asked of the horse. I'm honestly stunned you think the onus is on the other livery rather than the rider!

For all we know the livery may not have been aware the horse could only be trotted on soft ground. As I said before, a simple "no thanks" when the rider was asked if she wanted to trot would have sufficed.

As a side note our yard is also incredibly friendly, but a lot of us have careers which mean we can't be in everyone else's business the whole time (and nor would I want to be!).

Goldenstar

Visit site
If your horse has specific exercise needs don't hack out with others unless you know in advance they want to do say walking exercise too .
The riders was at fault she's responsible for the horse she was riding not some else whose horse had different needs .