Absolutely gutted....

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
My Cobs owner has messaged me this morning to tell me she needs to sell him due to a huge changein her circumstances. She's offered me first refusal at a very sensible price. However, I have just had to buy a new car due to my last one needing to go to the great scrap yard in the sky and I just don't have the money. The only way I could buy him is to sell Rex. I know this is what happens when you loan etc but I'm so upset....I really, really love this boy ????
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I know there's nothing anyone can do but I'm sad and needed to vent ?????

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I haven't asked sbout installments, I have the feeling she needs the money though I may have read the situation wrong. I'm still paying vets bills and had to loan some of the money for the car so I'm wary about adding another financial commitment on top of current outgoings. I would have no wiggle room if things went wrong and it isn't fair on the animals to do that.
I swear this is going to break my heart :(

jnb

Visit site
Is she wanting a lot for him, if not could you off to pay what you can, when you can? Assume your're already paying for livery, insurance, shoes etc?
I have a payout due next month....feel like buying him for you (if my sister could ride him once or twice a month, she’s not committed enough to buy herself!)

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
That’s Sad ☹️ Is it hundreds or thousands? I think if I wanted him that much I’d try and find the money. Can you downgrade the car? I don’t suppose it would hurt to ask for instalments. It really does depend on how badly the owner needs the money I suppose.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Is she wanting a lot for him, if not could you off to pay what you can, when you can? Assume your already paying for livery, insurance, shoes etc?
I have a payout due next month....feel like buying him for you (if my sister could ride him once or twice a month, she’s not committed enough to buy herself!)

Awww bless ya lol, I couldn't let anyone do that. My friend and I share him so share the finances of him between us...he lives out, no shoes etc.
I think realistically I would need to buy him outright, that would be the most sensible. Loaning money at this time isn't viable due to other financial commitments unfortunately and I don't want to risk being stuck for options if things went wrong.
I guess I am going to have to sit and have a serious think about what is best. The problem I have is that I love both of these boys very much, for different reasons. I guess I'm just venting my sadness at the situation really.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think there are going to be lots of changes of circumstance coming up :(

Really sorry for you - but this in spades. There are a lot of people walking around today not yet informed that they don't have a job - this virus has a lot more pain to inflict on people yet.

I wouldn't take on more than you are absolutely comfortable with debt wise in the current climate (not recommended at any time - but especially with what is coming up for the countries finances).

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I think there is a marriage break up involved but whatever the reasons I feel really sorry for her as she is a really lovely lady and I know she won't be doing this lightly. My friend is not in a position to buy him either and to be honest she wouldn't want to really. I'm going to try to figure it out but I also have to be super sensible in terms of ensuring the welfare of my other animals by not over compromising my finances.
She's just offered me a payment plan so there are options but it is probably not the most sensible option.
I'm stuck as, while I never intended for him to be returned, knowing he could be if the shit hit the fan etc has been part of the appeal of loaning esp given that I own one already.
I'm going to spend the rest of the day having a really good think about my options. And of course, Im going to have to do some real soul searching for what is the right thing for all concerned ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
If you're sure you can pay it off, when my sister needed a new car she got a 2 year 0% balance transfer on a credit card, some let you do it as a cash advance. Virgin money are one that let you do this. Just make sure your monthly payments mean it's paid off before interest kicks in

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm so sorry for you and can understand how heartbreaking this must be.

Unfortunately its a time for tough decisions. Ive been keeping an eye out for a new one for a while. Was set to view something that on paper seemed perfect.

However, i woke up at 5am in a cold sweat thinking about all the expenses I have coming up in the next couple of months. Plus it'll be Christmas before we know it.

Although we seem financially secure at the moment, I've decided now is just the wrong time for me to be committing a chunk of savings to buying a horse.

Disappointing, but sensible. I'll look again in the new year i think.

Hope you can work something out but I think you're sensible to think it through very carefully.

Kahlua

Visit site
Ohh that really sucks :( My initial emotional reaction is, payment plan, loan, do whatever you can!! Then my secondary reaction is, get an excel spreadsheet going, jot down ALL of your outgoings, against your incomings (yes, yes, I know you should *never* do this with horses, because who actually wants to know what we spend :eek:) and work out financially if you can do it with the payment plan. If you can with some left over incase anything changes over the coming year than 10000000000% go for it! If the numbers don't work then you may have your answer. Sometimes it can be sadly that black and white for us ...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
He's 11 now.
I know it sounds like a weird thing to say as I'm obviously paying his upkeep currently but I don't know, even if I could afford to buy him today, if I can afford to make a financial commitment to actually own 2 horses...if that makes sense.
Really the only option here is to choose between them both :(

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Really the only option here is to choose between them both :(
I’m afraid that I agree. I hope that the cob’s owner will give you a few days to mull it all over.

Your youngster should be easy to sell if that‘s what you decide to do.

11 is no age (for the cob).

Sprat

Visit site
I'm so sorry, what a totally crappy situation to be in.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I had the same thing happen years ago with my loan mare. I was sure there was no way that I could do it, but through various means I managed to scrape the cash together and I bought her (similar cost to your proposed). The mares owner is a very good friend and let me pay in 3 instalments over a period of a few months. It was the right decision at the time, and if I hadn't made that decision I'm not sure I would have gone back to loaning again.

But ultimately its down to whether you can genuinely afford the initial outlay without crippling yourself in debt. Big hugs, there is no black or white answer :(