Acavallo gel type pads - are they worth it?

Ellietotz

Visit site
Hi all!

I like the sound of these pads for shock absorbing/even pressure etc but I was wondering if it is worth it? If the saddle is flocked with real wool which is meant to be shock absorbing anyway and it fits, is a gel pad needed? I'm only interested as my mare is sensitive anyway and I just wanted to make sure she was as comfortable as possible.

A friend of mine recently got one and her horse has been completely different since using it. More relaxed, no more bucking into canter etc. I assume the saddle fits but it's not my place to say!

Thanks!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I don't think the acavallo gel is all its cracked up to be. I found it useful to glue my saddle to my saddlepads without straps but that was about it :rolleyes:
I bought a VIP pad which I did notice a difference in the way the horse felt. They are made of different stuff and aren't sticky like the acavallo.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Wool flocking can only absorb so much concussion, and has zero "compression sets" where the material remains exactly the same after impact, flocking compresses over time.

I highly recommend sheepskin for most horses as it does absorb some more concussion and spreads weight (as well as wicking sweat and allowing soft tissue expansion ie muscle flex etc). If you already have one I have no problem with them per se, some horses love them, but I have a slight issue with most of these pads. They're made from a material that is supposedly their own invention (they never are, they are made by someone else but it's kept secret) - Prolite is a prime example as it only absorbs maximum 25% concussion yet is seen as "industry standard".

VIP is better though is still old tech, again if your horse likes it then great. The more proven technologies that you can look up are in the Invictus pads and Jex X Equine pads from the US, Thinline is also very good (similar tech to these two) but sadly you can't look up the actual material, not a lot else really has the science available to back it up.

I personally like proper medical grade sheepskin as the first stop, lambkins or cheaper sheepskin really doesn't do the same job, Mattes is my personal recommendation.

SK123

Visit site
Personally I would only use one if there was a problem with the fit of the saddle or she was uncomfortable. I had a pony with a bad back and the saddle was lying down into to too far so we bought a gel pad with a riser at the back and it worked wonders! I also hear of some people adding a flat one under the numnah to avoid slipping and to add an extra cushion but if your saddle is fitted correctly and you use a nice numnah that should negate the need for one 😊👍

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I've always used a Acavallo gel pad on my gelding, it goes straight on his back before the numnah or saddle. His saddle fits well but due to his shape on long hilly hacks the saddle can slip. Without the pad I notice it slips so much more, with the pad it barely moves.

I personally can't stand sheepskin, its to thick, causes both of mine to sweat underneath and get what seems to be heat rash? My saddler recommended to avoid sheepskin unless you have too..

Ellietotz

Visit site
Wool flocking can only absorb so much concussion, and has zero "compression sets" where the material remains exactly the same after impact, flocking compresses over time.

I highly recommend sheepskin for most horses as it does absorb some more concussion and spreads weight (as well as wicking sweat and allowing soft tissue expansion ie muscle flex etc). If you already have one I have no problem with them per se, some horses love them, but I have a slight issue with most of these pads. They're made from a material that is supposedly their own invention (they never are, they are made by someone else but it's kept secret) - Prolite is a prime example as it only absorbs maximum 25% concussion yet is seen as "industry standard".

VIP is better though is still old tech, again if your horse likes it then great. The more proven technologies that you can look up are in the Invictus pads and Jex X Equine pads from the US, Thinline is also very good (similar tech to these two) but sadly you can't look up the actual material, not a lot else really has the science available to back it up.

I personally like proper medical grade sheepskin as the first stop, lambkins or cheaper sheepskin really doesn't do the same job, Mattes is my personal recommendation.

Thanks sbloom, really helpful! I found with Sheepskin half pads or saddle pads just made the saddle not fit. It seemed too tight or was just balancing on top. I bought a lovely Le Mieux half pad and I couldn't even get the girth onto the first hole!

HeyMich

Visit site
Nope, I sold mine on Ebay!

It changes the fit of the saddle, a bit like wearing normal shoes with really thick socks. My mare told me she didn't like it, so I got rid. I suppose they would be fine if the saddle was fitted to compensate... not sure many saddlers would do that though.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Personally I would only use one if there was a problem with the fit of the saddle or she was uncomfortable. I had a pony with a bad back and the saddle was lying down into to too far so we bought a gel pad with a riser at the back and it worked wonders! I also hear of some people adding a flat one under the numnah to avoid slipping and to add an extra cushion but if your saddle is fitted correctly and you use a nice numnah that should negate the need for one 😊👍

The saddle is perfect, it's checked every 6 months by a very good saddler fitter, I could ride in it without a saddle pad and it doesn't slip about. She isn't uncomfortable but she is sensitive and I was hoping I could get something that will have shock absorbing features and evens out pressure without changing the saddle fit.

Ellietotz

Visit site

It changes the fit of the saddle, a bit like wearing normal shoes with really thick socks. My mare told me she didn't like it, so I got rid. I suppose they would be fine if the saddle was fitted to compensate... not sure many saddlers would do that though.

Is that with the gel pad? As the pad is probably about 5mm thick so I didn't think it would change the fit that much!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I've always used a Acavallo gel pad on my gelding, it goes straight on his back before the numnah or saddle. His saddle fits well but due to his shape on long hilly hacks the saddle can slip. Without the pad I notice it slips so much more, with the pad it barely moves.

I personally can't stand sheepskin, its to thick, causes both of mine to sweat underneath and get what seems to be heat rash? My saddler recommended to avoid sheepskin unless you have too..

PHysical therapists and most saddle fitters aren't fans of putting sticky pads against the skin, the saddle really should fit without one, often different girth straps (point strap to stop forward movement, balance strap to stop backward movement) possibly a breast plate for really hilly terrain - if anyone can tell me how to post a link to FB that is accepted by the board that would be awesom, otherwise find Dawn McCaig - Equine and Human Musculoskeletal Therapist and have a look at her second video showing the damage to fascia that they can cause.

Never heard of a horse getting a sweat rash from sheepskin, usually the opposite, hence you see a lot of endurance riders using them and swapping to a fresh one at a gate, as the first one will have absorbed so much moisture.

Thanks sbloom, really helpful! I found with Sheepskin half pads or saddle pads just made the saddle not fit. It seemed too tight or was just balancing on top. I bought a lovely Le Mieux half pad and I couldn't even get the girth onto the first hole!

They do change the fit, I think it's worth it getting the fit altered to accommodate, and occasionally you do need the next sized girth up.

Probably most would, I've yet to meet a fitter that wasn't appreciative of sheepskin.

The saddle is perfect, it's checked every 6 months by a very good saddler fitter, I could ride in it without a saddle pad and it doesn't slip about. She isn't uncomfortable but she is sensitive and I was hoping I could get something that will have shock absorbing features and evens out pressure without changing the saddle fit.

If the flocking is smooth and the fit is good you don't need to even out pressure, if you want to absorb shock then Thinline fits the bill. Their flat basic pads are great in terms of material but don't sit under saddles very well IMO, just watch those with insets and buy bigger, the insets are quite small and I'd be happier with a saddle sitting 100% within them.

eggs

Visit site
I use the Acavallo honeycomb pads which are not the same as the normal sticky ones. I have the saddles fitted to them and my saddler was impressed at the noticeable improvement in all the horse's movement when they had the pad on compared to when they didn't.

WelshD

Visit site
I think all you can do is try.

Both of my ponies move better in gel pads, they go straight on to their backs which I have seen is not recommended but you can't argue with results.
Both go better in single joint bits too which to some are the work of the devil.

My choice under a saddle is sheepskin but some equines haven't read the rulebook