According to some, there is 'no grass'....

Erehwemos

Visit site
...where Ellie is currently turned out. Many of the other liveries are being brought in at some point to have some hay, and nearly all are still having hard feed.
crazy.gif

Bearing in mind she is on no hard feed or hay and is out 24/7 at the moment - do you think she is looking ok? She's not been ridden for a few weeks as I have been concentrating on Uni finals and family troubles, so Elz has had a mini holiday....which I intend to bring to an end the very day I finish Uni
grin.gif

field-2.jpg

field2-1.jpg

cool.gif

lovecharles

Visit site
looks gorgeous! i have a smallish field with not much grass, so have hard feed and hay, but your elz' field looks pretty grassy.

and she looks in great condition.
bet you cant wait to get back on
smile.gif

good luck with your finals.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Gosh, some people really are so precious. Although I suppose if they have very poor doers then I can understand it. That grass doesn't look too bad to me (will be full of sugars even though it is short). Horses don't need rugs just for a bit of rain.

Ellie looks fine. My cob looks ribbier than she does (honestly!).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
She looks absolutely amazing - and as beautiful as ever.

I think you should find a nice stallion for her
grin.gif

Hippona

Visit site
She's looking good to me....fantastic even.

Although have to say, our grass is up to the horses knees in te fields they are in, and the other fields are getting even longer. If the grass were that low at this time of year on our yard.....people would be having a right moan on
smirk.gif

Ours are in at night basically to rest and deflate and stop them eating even more grass!!! None of them are getting hard feed and for the first time in history I'm thinking my ''skinny'' boy is getting too chunky
shocked.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
Looks fab! We're having the same nonsense at our year with people saying their Section D (with fat pads on it's back) is utterly starving and desperately needs more to eat. I told her if he looked unhappy just now in the field (with 'no grass') he'd look might unhappy when his laminia had inflamed, pedal bone dropped and the vet was coming at him with a captive bolt. She doesn't like me much now, think I'm a tad harsh.

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
looks gorgeous! i have a smallish field with not much grass, so have hard feed and hay, but your elz' field looks pretty grassy.

and she looks in great condition.
bet you cant wait to get back on
smile.gif

good luck with your finals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you - nearly there, just have to get Tuesday out of the way and I'm freeeeeeee
grin.gif
Ellie wont know what has hit her, I've already got my OS map out of the cupboard
laugh.gif

Hippona

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Looks fab! We're having the same nonsense at our year with people saying their Section D (with fat pads on it's back) is utterly starving and desperately needs more to eat. I told her if he looked unhappy just now in the field (with 'no grass') he'd look might unhappy when his laminia had inflamed, pedal bone dropped and the vet was coming at him with a captive bolt. She doesn't like me much now, think I'm a tad harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh?? Noooo....but to the point, as ever PS
wink.gif
grin.gif

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, some people really are so precious. Although I suppose if they have very poor doers then I can understand it. That grass doesn't look too bad to me (will be full of sugars even though it is short). Horses don't need rugs just for a bit of rain.

Ellie looks fine. My cob looks ribbier than she does (honestly!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, there are no poor doers at all
grin.gif
To be fair, every single horse on the yard looks superb at the moment, so people are worrying needlessly - they all look excellent, and I would actually worry if any of them got any bigger because of the dreaded L-word
crazy.gif
And, as you say, the grass is still spring grass - and is also occasionally grazed by cattle - so will certainly not be lacking nutrients!
smile.gif

LankyDoodle

Visit site
In that case, they're being daft. Ellie looks wonderful and if the grass was that bad, with no hard feed (ie, no extra nutrients being given) she would not look that well. You are doing a great job.

Foxyeventing

Visit site
I agree with all others, she looks ab fab!!!
I also agree, think you should find a nice stallion!!! Hehe

It is hard my warmblood believe it or not is a poor doer and is on 2 huge hard feeds and 28LBS Haylage a day, and only just looks as good as your mare.....

You is very lucky

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She looks absolutely amazing - and as beautiful as ever.

I think you should find a nice stallion for her
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

That's what Mum is always saying
mad.gif

To be honest, I would love to have an Ellie baby, but aside from not having the facilities to do so, I would never, ever forgive myself if we lost her
frown.gif
Mum always wanted to breed from her - she used to do a lot of stud work so has all the experience we would ever need - and Ellie is so special, she'd throw a stunning foal (I think anyway!
laugh.gif
). But I hear so many tragic stories of people losing their beloved mares during/prior to foaling....my God, I would never forgive myself if I lost her! I know the chances of anything going wrong are slight, but even so. I love her too much to put her at that risk!

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, not harsh, just straight to the point!
grin.gif

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
She looks fab!

Your grass looks about the same as what Mac is on at the moment. He is having a small handful of hi-fi lite of an evening purely to get his supplements in him, and I am actually now considering getting a muzzle for him overnight as he looks bigegr by the day.

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all others, she looks ab fab!!!
I also agree, think you should find a nice stallion!!! Hehe

It is hard my warmblood believe it or not is a poor doer and is on 2 huge hard feeds and 28LBS Haylage a day, and only just looks as good as your mare.....

You is very lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have got it quite lucky with her - she's always kept her condition well, no matter where we have been! The only time we worried about her was towards the back end of last year - our landlords cut down our grazing to under a quarter of an acre, and it was bare
frown.gif
She started to look very light - at least in my opinion - which was when we made the decision to move to our current yard!
smile.gif

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
I'm in the awkward situation of having too much grass for small pony and not quite enough for my yearling *sighs* nothing is ever easy!

That said, our grass was really late in coming through as it was sooooo dry and has only in the last couple of weeks started to really pick up
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Too much grass down at our livery, every one is carrying too much weight, well apart from 2 TB's but the rest are very much enjoying all the grass.
We are four horses down as they moved to another livery and its suprising how much differnce there is....to much now, before it was sparce during summer, never happy are we!
grin.gif

Michelle73

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh?? Noooo....but to the point, as ever PS
wink.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mum and I are always politely arguing about native ponies being too fat!!!! She hates the way I keep my IDxTB mare and likes flat withers on her young C's. Drives me insane!!!!
tongue.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
Oh but I would never talk to my mother like that, she'd smack me (never to old or so I keep getting told!)

The girl at the yard is a little ditzy and seems to think Lami is something that happens to little fat ponies not Sections D's and WB's.

I tried to explain that horse's can suffer more as they area to pressure ratio on their feet is higher than a tubby little section A but she's looked at me like I was speaking German.

After that discussing I have kept things simple and to the point
laugh.gif
we don't talk much esp since my pro-ana-Arab is in a field with grass up to her knees and spends most of the day using it as a pillow rather than eating it!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
What is this preoccupation with burying ribs under six inches of fat
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Amy-May <font color="blue">I think you should find a nice stallion for her </font>
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
blush.gif
No foalies please, there's enough here already!

We need a laminitis sticky and a sin bin for peeps who insist on feeding their ponies and horses like beef cattle
crazy.gif

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What is this preoccupation with burying ribs under six inches of fat
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that directed at me?
confused.gif
I dont think she has six inches of covering....no one else has said so, either!

[ QUOTE ]
Amy-May <font color="blue">I think you should find a nice stallion for her </font>
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
blush.gif
No foalies please, there's enough here already!

[/ QUOTE ]

All I will say on that is that if I ever DID breed from Ellie, the foal would be for my exclusive use only. I would never breed to sell - my heartache would be pointless if I did!

[ QUOTE ]

We need a laminitis sticky and a sin bin for peeps who insist on feeding their ponies and horses like beef cattle
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

She doesnt look like a cow to me.....does she look that way to you, then?
crazy.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...and nearly all are still having hard feed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine live out 24/7 but are still getting hay (they get whatever they eat) and they always get hard feed all year round. Whats wrong with still giving hard feed? I feed mine not for condition, but to make sure they get the necessary vits &amp; mins etc. which grass lacks (and some compete).

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...and nearly all are still having hard feed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine live out 24/7 but are still getting hay (they get whatever they eat) and they always get hard feed all year round. Whats wrong with still giving hard feed? I feed mine not for condition, but to make sure they get the necessary vits &amp; mins etc. which grass lacks (and some compete).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is wrong with them being given hard feed at all, if the owners feel the need for them to have it! I just dont feel that mine needs it - especially not being in work at the moment. If I were competing, it would be a different story
smile.gif

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
She looks scrumptious! Although strangely naked without reams of sheepskin draped everywhere.
tongue.gif

Your grazing looks a similar length/quality to ours and mine has ballooned on it despite being in regular hard work, so I don't know what your lot are whinging about! I pray for bare dirt paddocks and no rain to make the grass grow.
tongue.gif

Erehwemos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
She looks scrumptious! Although strangely naked without reams of sheepskin draped everywhere.
tongue.gif

Your grazing looks a similar length/quality to ours and mine has ballooned on it despite being in regular hard work, so I don't know what your lot are whinging about! I pray for bare dirt paddocks and no rain to make the grass grow.
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO yes there is a distinct lack of sheepskin - which will be rectified by Wednesday when she has to start working again!
grin.gif
She looks rather peaceful at the moment, I love seeing her when she's let herself down a bit
laugh.gif